Making A Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremedicaldr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am tossed and need help making a decision I am trying to decide if I want to do Ped Neurology or Ped Cardiology which on is the best in your opinion I greatly appreciate all the input

Members don't see this ad.

Pedi Cardiology: Seems to me to be a "cool" specialty with lots of procedures and options for further sub-subspecialization. For example, you can do electrophysiology, interventional caths, or critical care cardiology (but that means more training probably). Or you can just open up a primarily outpatient office. Or you can be a pseudo-radiologist and read echos for a nice lifestyle.

Neuro: Fewer procedures, more "thinking," but still looking at a lot of images and maybe some things like NCV studies or mapping for epilepsy surgery with the neurosurgeons. One nice advantage of pedi neuro is that you can do a 5-yr combined residency/fellowship out of med school and not have to apply again and not have to spend 6 years. If you want. But you have do do some adult training in there.

Are you at a point where you need to decide these things yet?
They seem to have pretty different personalities, so I think doing a rotation in each would probably show most people where they fit or don't fit.

I am tossed and need help making a decision I am trying to decide if I want to do Ped Neurology or Ped Cardiology which on is the best in your opinion I greatly appreciate all the input

If your status is correct, then you are a pre-med student and this decision is at least 3 years away from you. You don't need help deciding. You need to go to medical school and get the exposure that is a normal part of medical school.