Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Your PI will need to see it and probably edit it before you present it. If you're going to put his name on it, you have to get his input.

About the Ads

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Even if it is an informal conference?
I would say yes. I made a PowerPoint presentation to show to 10 people in my summer research program and my PI still wanted to look at it before I presented. Maybe my lab is particularly strict but it seems reasonable that if the PI's name is on it, they should see it, because you could come up with a load of s*** that could damage their reputation just by being associated.

Reactions: CUatthefinishline

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
If someone is using my data or my name on something, I better damn well see it before it gets presented. Anywhere.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
If you are adding someone as an author, they have to see the final work before submission/presentation. Otherwise, don't add their name and just present it as a solo author.

flyboy3

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Make the poster on your own, but maybe look over some of the other posters that have come out of that lab to get an idea of what yours should look like.

flyboy3

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If you are using lab data, the PI owns that data and anything that is presented with it.
Correct, and OP should still interface with the PI throughout the creation to make sure what he is saying is legit and to the PI's liking.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
If you are adding someone as an author, they have to see the final work before submission/presentation. Otherwise, don't add their name and just present it as a solo author.
Isn't he using data from the PI's lab? I would think it would be a bit dodgy to present that data as your own.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
Isn't he using data from the PI's lab? I would think it would be a bit dodgy to present that data as your own.
Yeah OP for sure would have to include his PI's name if he's using the data in the lab. Which in turn means OP's PI has to check the presentation for validity before submission. I was generally referring to any author, and in this case, it's impossible for OP to be a sole author unless he did his own study with his own data gathered from his own resources.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
This is a matter of property. If you're working with a PI, then that means that you're most likely using resources from that PI's lab to gather your data and analyze it. That PI, in turn, is funded by specified funding agencies that must acknowledged in any scientific work. So you cannot present data without your PI's permission.

Second, it's not necessarily in your best interest to present the data anyway. Any time you present data at a conference, you have to be mindful that you might get scooped on it and you don't want to end up in a position where you don't get a publication because someone saw your ideas at the conference and got on it before you finished. I know of PIs who will attend these conferences, get ideas, and then get huge teams of grad students to work on the projects to finish very quickly and scoop other people. They can do this because they have huge labs and thus many resources to expend whereas the other PI might have less funding and a smaller lab and so must work at a slower pace. This is why PIs often embargo graduate theses - they don't want information getting out before they're ready to publish.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive
About the Ads