Making interviewers laugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SphereGlobe

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I wait outside the door for interviews, I've noticed that many interviews preceding me have the entire room in uproarious laughter. I've never been able to create the same effect. How do you make your interviewers laugh? Interviewers, what are examples of ways humor has been used effectively to create a connection in an interview?
 
Yea I agree with above. I've made some interviewers laugh but it was usually just based off something that came up conversationally. I'm not in there making jokes or even actively trying to make the person laugh. Just be loose, have a fun conversation if the interview setting allows and let it happen naturally.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also I think we tend to view our interviews the harshest. I remember one girl who interviewed before me the entire day always seemed to make the faculty laugh and walk her out with a smile. I told her at the end of the day good job on killing it and she told me she felt nervous about all her interviews and wasn't sure they went well. Just focus on yourself and not others.
 
Last edited:
In an effort to solve my own problem, I scheduled another mock interview. My interviewer, a psychiatrist, said that all my answers were fine, but that I should just make sure to have more fun so that I exude a life that shines from within. I might not always make interviewers laugh, but turns out they can actually tell if you're happy and loving life. Turns out that having fun (or just seeming/being genuinely happy) is an interview skill.
 
In an effort to solve my own problem, I scheduled another mock interview. My interviewer, a psychiatrist, said that all my answers were fine, but that I should just make sure to have more fun so that I exude a life that shines from within. I might not always make interviewers laugh, but turns out they can actually tell if you're happy and loving life. Turns out that having fun (or just seeming/being genuinely happy) is an interview skill.
It's not so much having fun as much as it is just being relaxed and calm in a high stress situation. It's what separates leaders from followers. In fact it's probably the most important part of the interview. Being calm, cool, and collected shows you are prepared for the journey ahead. Good luck.