Making suggestions to LOR writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it considered inappropriate to make suggestions to my letter writers about things I would want them to focus on?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine you do it politely.

Leading up to my application cycle, I emailed my LOR requests to my professors and also attached a pdf of a "guidance for medical school LOR writers" info sheet that the AAMC produced that year. I heard from one of my professors later on that specific guidance was actually super helpful for her and it made the writing a little easier.

Reactions: 3 users
It's fine you do it politely.

Leading up to my application cycle, I emailed my LOR requests to my professors and also attached a pdf of a "guidance for medical school LOR writers" info sheet that the AAMC produced that year. I heard from one of my professors later on that specific guidance was actually super helpful for her and it made the writing a little easier.
Yeah, I also sent the AAMC guidance document. I am asking more if there was a specific thing that I think would be helpful for them to highlight in the letter

Yeah, I also sent the AAMC guidance document. I am asking more if there was a specific thing that I think would be helpful for them to highlight in the letter

That's fine too. Just ask nicely/politely.