Quantcast

Making WAY too many notecards on Anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I’m almost done with my second block of med school (I’m doing fine, about average in class) and find that I’m having way too many notecards on Anki to go through in a day and not having enough time to still cover new material.

I use Anking and pull relevant material over from my lectures, I have about 2500 cards open and I review around 600 a day.

In addition I try and make notecards from class, but honestly I’m making way too many and am falling behind. So my question is, how many notecards do you all make per lecture? I’m not a make a summary and read through it kind of person, I learn best with notecards but need to figure out how to better consolidate the material so can begin studying it faster.

Any recommendations would be awesome, thank you!

scoopdaboop

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a friend who makes image occlusion cards of every slide for pertinent info on the slide. I don’t do that but occasionally I will and get maybe 3-4 per slide so for an average 50 slide lecture that’s 150 if u do all image occlusion.

for me if I type I get around 75 cards for a 50 slide lecture cuz I make pretty big cards and close them. With this I’m doing fine in lectures (above average). It’s better to not make single sentence cards and group similar concepts together because on tests it’s recognition not so much recall.

so daily I would say I addmaybe 100-150anki cards if there’s lecture. I alsodo zanki but my curriciulm doesn’t have much pathology so I don’t have to unsuspend A lot

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I’m going to try those recommendations. You’re absolutely right about grouping similar concepts, I need to focus on that more.

Fat_Albert

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Depends for what class. Anatomy? I make a crap ton. Idk how you can lower that number for that class

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Depends for what class. Anatomy? I make a crap ton. Idk how you can lower that number for that class

No not anatomy, everything else. I use a pre-made deck for anatomy, it works just fine.

Dantes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
<40-50 per lecture. Most everything else should hopefully be covered in pre-made decks unless it's anatomy heavy, or reinforced via questions. During second year I try to do even less cause the reviews are really starting to pile up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
<40-50 per lecture. Most everything else should hopefully be covered in pre-made decks unless it's anatomy heavy, or reinforced via questions. During second year I try to do even less cause the reviews are really starting to pile up.
Thank you! yes, I can’t do 2000 cards a day and still have time to do anything else

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to clarify that's how many I make per lecture so it's probably not as impressive lol

I would love to only make 10-15 per lecture, but I’m doing much better this week in terms of notecard quantity. We will see if I do better or worse on the quiz this week!

ZhivagoMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but I usually make around 35-40 per lecture, no more. Usually 2-3 lectures a day. I review anki daily. If I dont remember a concept or it wasn't clear what I was thinking when I made the card, I review that section of the lecture. I also make fairly detailed cards with multiple answers on the card, it helps me coordinate concepts with material. I haven't had above 120 cards a day. Im above average in my class thus far. I stick to anki and casual reviews on lectures on the weekend. It's worked well so far.

Fat_Albert

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but I usually make around 35-40 per lecture, no more. Usually 2-3 lectures a day. I review anki daily. If I dont remember a concept or it wasn't clear what I was thinking when I made the card, I review that section of the lecture. I also make fairly detailed cards with multiple answers on the card, it helps me coordinate concepts with material. I haven't had above 120 cards a day. Im above average in my class thus far. I stick to anki and casual reviews on lectures on the weekend. It's worked well so far.
How long ur reviews be taking?

Alkain

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider dropping custom made anki cards for lectures.
Pull information from relevant board resources and use zanki/LY/AnKing for first pass and review.

Before the exam, run through lecture at 2x to pick up low yield info.

Are your exams in house?

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider dropping custom made anki cards for lectures.
Pull information from relevant board resources and use zanki/LY/AnKing for first pass and review.

Before the exam, run through lecture at 2x to pick up low yield info.

Are your exams in house?

Custom made, like the cards I make? So go through PPT and pull relevant board/Zanki cards over review those and then watch lectures before exam as a quick pass of material? I primarily use Anking (Zanki, Lolnotacop, Boards and beyond and pathoma) should I add any other materials?

We have quizzes every Friday, they are made in house, and Exams every block (4-5 weeks).

Alkain

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Custom made, like the cards I make? So go through PPT and pull relevant board/Zanki cards over review those and then watch lectures before exam as a quick pass of material? I primarily use Anking (Zanki, Lolnotacop, Boards and beyond and pathoma) should I add any other materials?

We have quizzes every Friday, they are made in house, and Exams every block (4-5 weeks).
Yes. I found it better to just use premade Anki decks. I.e I went with B&B/FA/Pathoma/Constanzo for primary and first pass then used the zanki decks to review. Before the exam I'd watch the recorded lectures. We had mandatory attendance so this was a 2nd pass on lecture. This worked out pretty well for me.

If you try making your own anki decks from lecture and also use zanki, you'll end up doing a lot of duplicates.

If you have a quiz every Friday, I'd just treat that like it was your exam day. Study along and do zanki cards regularly, before your quizzes watch the lectures.

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes. I found it better to just use premade Anki decks. I.e I went with B&B/FA/Pathoma/Constanzo for primary and first pass then used the zanki decks to review. Before the exam I'd watch the recorded lectures. We had mandatory attendance so this was a 2nd pass on lecture. This worked out pretty well for me.

If you try making your own anki decks from lecture and also use zanki, you'll end up doing a lot of duplicates.

If you have a quiz every Friday, I'd just treat that like it was your exam day. Study along and do zanki cards regularly, before your quizzes watch the lectures.

Thanks, I think you’re right.. lecture is optional for us but I think I might take longer going through lectures, make a good review sheet and just do board material. I think it will pick up the stupid stuff they want us to know all while learning high yield material. I have finals in two weeks, next block I’m going to give this a try.