Male OB/GYN Residents and Attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As a Male resident/attending, are you HAPPY in OB/GYN?

• Yes, I am a Male OBGYN resident.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Yes, I am a Male OBGYN attending.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I am a Male OBGYN resident.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, I am a Male OBGYN attending.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you truly happy with OB/GYN? This poll is anonymous, so please be honest.

And for those of you who do not mind posting:

-As a male OB/GYN, do you experience gender discremination?

-As a male OB/GYN, does it take you longer to examine a patient because you have to go searching for a female chaperone?

-As a male OB/GYN, do you feel that you are treated differently by patients/peers?

-As a male OB/GYN Attending, are you getting paid less than your female peers?

-As a male OB/GYN Attending, do you feel that you are less "marketable" (in terms of employment) than your female peers?

Thank you very much.:)

Members don't see this ad.

To answer the questions:

-no, I do not have any experience with discrimination. the only times I have seen a pt refuse a particular doctor was due to personality conflict (and each time they have refused to see a female md). the only exception is the single time we had a muslim pt request female md's, which was honored as much as possible.
- no-while it does take some time to get a chaperone (or a translatory), the female mds also must have the chaperones present. you will be hard pressed to find any md (male or female) that will perform a gyn exam without a chaperone present
-no
-i cannot answer this from experience, but the data currently shows that male ob/gyns have a higher average income
-i cannot answer from experience, but judging from the offers my older resident freinds are recieving, there is pretty much zero difference. some practices are certainly looking for females, but generally you can find the same salary range and opportunity that the females are getting.