Male or Female physcians? CRNAs or Anesthesiologists? Midwife or obstetricians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Good Mountain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a poll that asks all this questions about patient preferences. (10 questions would requiere 10 threads to be posted so its better to provide the link) Answer them as a patient rather than as a physician.

Link: http://anatomia.cursos-medicina.com/mod/quiz/view.php?id=68

you'll be sent to the LOG IN page. Enter this data:

Nombre de usuario: studentdoc
contraseña: studentdoc

the poll is in english though the rest is not. The english is not the best either.

We can post the results here afterwords. If you would like to make other questions just post them here.

Why did I post this thread in this section? Well, though the target of the poll is for patients, Im sure all physicians and future physicians could be interested on what others feel about this matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry - but I would be loathe as an SDN Moderator and Administrator to allow such a potentially contentious thread to be posted here. They can be posted in The Lounge if you like.

Face it folks, we've tried this before and we (or they - whatever side you're on) have failed miserably to maintain a professional and mature air when discussing MD vs DO, CRNA vs MD/DO, midwife vs OB, etc.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the poll, but look THERE for results, not here.

Sorry - but I would be loathe as an SDN Moderator and Administrator to allow such a potentially contentious thread to be posted here. They can be posted in The Lounge if you like.

Face it folks, we've tried this before and we (or they - whatever side you're on) have failed miserably to maintain a professional and mature air when discussing MD vs DO, CRNA vs MD/DO, midwife vs OB, etc.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the poll, but look THERE for results, not here.

If the thread is against the Forum policy then feel free to erase it. But first do explain me why. I dont thinks its troublesome, but if someone does I'll erase it. All the questions are really a mix of the questions that appear in this threads (ie. Male gynecologists threads). Its just to see if people care about this choices or not. There is no MD vs DO questions. Arent we old enough to share results without being rude or disrespectful or without creating a contentious thread? I respect your opinion though.

83 replies so far.

If the thread is against the Forum policy then feel free to erase it.

The thread is not against SDN policy per se. But for those with history here will know that such threads have ended up being closed and participants have been asked not to restart them.

But first do explain me why. I dont thinks its troublesome, but if someone does I'll erase it. All the questions are really a mix of the questions that appear in this threads (ie. Male gynecologists threads). Its just to see if people care about this choices or not. There is no MD vs DO questions. Arent we old enough to share results without being rude or disrispectufl or without creating a contentious thread?

IMHO, we are not, given past history. You are a new member here and perhaps are not familiar with the history of these types of threads here. They have a tendency to evolve into profession bashing, etc., attracting trolls, and end up being closed. You are right that there is currently a thread in the Pre-Allo forum about whether people prefer male or female Ob-Gyns/Urologists. And so far, it has been fairly civil.

However, there are two differences...

1) this is a different forum, with different moderators and as such may be handled differently than the others. The residency forums usually run a "tighter ship" and call for more professionalism, even when the members themselves cannot provide such.

2) my objections largely lie with questions regarding CRNA vs MD/DO anesthesiologists. SDN has a painful history with this type of thread and it did generate a change in policy, and created a lot of divisiveness in the Anesthesiology forums. I do not wish to enter that fray here.

If people are interested in the results, they can simply go to your link and view them there. I see no reason why it needs to be posted here. This forum is for RESIDENCY issues which these questions are not. If you wish to post the results in a unmoderated forum, such as the Sociopolitical forum, you may do so.

divisive? i mean, really, the anesthesiology forum just went on vacation. together. in private. Everyone will be back soon and all will be hunky dory. Calling it "divisive" is a little harsh. Also, hell is "warm" and the antarctic is "chilly".

Arent we old enough to share results without being rude or disrispectufl or without creating a contentious thread?

:laugh: Thanks for the laugh. In case you haven't explored these threads, no, people are generally not reasonable enough to engage in these kinds of discussions without becoming emotionally charged. It's because they aren't obective questions. They deal with subjective fears and hopes, and touch nerves for people on both sides of the issues.

You have combined some of the most contentious topics into one survey, then offered to post the results here. FMGvIMGvUS. CRNAvMD. They've been done, and as Kim suggested, it gets nasty pretty quick.

divisive? i mean, really, the anesthesiology forum just went on vacation. together. in private. Everyone will be back soon and all will be hunky dory. Calling it "divisive" is a little harsh. Also, hell is "warm" and the antarctic is "chilly".

I have been called a queen of understatement...the above is an example of that tendency.:D

If people are interested in the results, they can simply go to your link and view them there. I see no reason why it needs to be posted here. This forum is for RESIDENCY issues which these questions are not. If you wish to post the results in a unmoderated forum, such as the Sociopolitical forum, you may do so.

I thought it would be interesting to know the patients preferences while choosing a physician. Its really interesting to see the differences in between the answers of the sdn network users and patients from other countries. I think this sort of things tend to open our minds and see that there is no right or wrong, better or worse. But you are the admin so your choice will be respected.

By the way, I read your article (the one tha appears in the new sdn layout) and it was very interesting. Congratulations.

I don't know about you guys, but I will only see DOs with previous CRNA training who are 36 years old and have had a sex change from male to female. In an emergency setting, I might settle for a female to male change.

I thought it would be interesting to know the patients preferences while choosing a physician. Its really interesting to see the differences in between the answers of the sdn network users and patients from other countries. I think this sort of things tend to open our minds and see that there is no right or wrong, better or worse. But you are the admin so your choice will be respected.

By the way, I read your article (the one tha appears in the new sdn layout) and it was very interesting. Congratulations.

Thank you; the article was written by Juliet Farmer, who is a freelance writer for SDN. She did a terrific job with my story.

Please don't misunderstand my intentions in wishing that this material not be posted here. I agree that the choices faced by patients with regard to treatment and health care professional is an interesting topic, especially if contrasted to the view/preference from other countries.

My wishes are not paramount and I always try to consider that of the majority of SDN users when making a decision about moderation/administration of the site. However, as seen from the other posts above, it appears that others agree with me that these type of threads, while perhaps starting out with honorable intentions, tend to degrade into unprofessional and unpleasant debacles. Thus, I was just attempting to ward off this happening. If there is a large call for posting of the results (which there hasn't been to date), then I will rereview my suggestions (which is all it is as this point; I've made no administrative decrees about posting the results here).

If the thread is against the Forum policy then feel free to erase it. But first do explain me why. I dont thinks its troublesome, but if someone does I'll erase it. All the questions are really a mix of the questions that appear in this threads (ie. Male gynecologists threads). Its just to see if people care about this choices or not. There is no MD vs DO questions. Arent we old enough to share results without being rude or disrispectufl or without creating a contentious thread? I respect your opinion though.

43 replies so far. When it reaches 100 if allowed I may post the results.

Move over "righteousnessosity", "disrispectufl" just became my new favorite word.

Thanx for the help. Soon we will reach 100 answers.
what nº would you consider representative?

hmm...it wouldn't really be representative...you're not really getting a representative population by advertising this on a professional one-sided board, not to mention a self-selected internet population. It could be interesting in terms of our local population...but trying then to correlate it with a genuinely patient pool...wouldn't really work....

Thanx for the help. Soon we will reach 100 answers.
what nº would you consider representative?

I am still confused why you insist on posting the results HERE. Why can't users who are interested simply follow the link you've given above? I don't see any purpose to posting it here and besides, as leorl notes, you don't have a representative sample at all, just a self-selected population.

I am still confused why you insist on posting the results HERE. Why can't users who are interested simply follow the link you've given above? I don't see any purpose to posting it here and besides, as leorl notes, you don't have a representative sample at all, just a self-selected population.

Wait, wait, wait....wait a minute. Let me get this straight - you're suggesting that the validity of this study is questionable?! Talk about overanal. What do you want? Sterile 4x4's to wipe away the tears he squeezes out at hearing you disapprove of his noble cause?

Wait, wait, wait....wait a minute. Let me get this straight - you're suggesting that the validity of this study is questionable?! Talk about overanal. What do you want? Sterile 4x4's to wipe away the tears he squeezes out at hearing you disapprove of his noble cause?

The validity of his study? That is the LEAST of my worries. Please read all of the posts above, including those of users besides myself, which agree that SDN is incapable of discussing things like CRNA vs Anesthesiology, etc. without it degrading into an insult-filled vile mess.

I have no reason to believe the OP's cause is "noble" but I highly doubt that SDN users can maintain it in such a condition. Therefore, I fail to see why we should post the results of a potentially contentious thread in which the results can be easily access elsewhere. The OP has yet to give sufficient reason which tells us why it is better posted here.

The validity of his study? That is the LEAST of my worries. Please read all of the posts above, including those of users besides myself, which agree that SDN is incapable of discussing things like CRNA vs Anesthesiology, etc. without it degrading into an insult-filled vile mess.

I have no reason to believe the OP's cause is "noble" but I highly doubt that SDN users can maintain it in such a condition. Therefore, I fail to see why we should post the results of a potentially contentious thread in which the results can be easily access elsewhere. The OP has yet to give sufficient reason which tells us why it is better posted here.

Again (in reference to the other thread), I was joking around with you. Of course it's ridiculous.

I guess I'm learning who you can joke with and who you can't. I apologize.

. Arent we old enough to share results without being rude or disrespectful or without creating a contentious thread? I respect your opinion though.
65 replies so far.

i agree with Kimberely, it shouldn't be posted here in the Residency forum. And it's not how old or young everyone is here, it's how immature and aggresive many people posting can (and will) get with these types of threads.

Again (in reference to the other thread), I was joking around with you. Of course it's ridiculous.

I guess I'm learning who you can joke with and who you can't. I apologize.

No, I'm sorry. On the interview trail, sitting in airports with delayed flights and I was being a bit oversensitive (and didn't realize you were joking). No apologies necessary. You can joke around with me (except maybe about my age!) ;)

Nothing will be posted here don't worry about it. I understand your point of view, and for what I have been reading in other threads it seems accurate. Some are quite aggressive. If anyone wants the results you can send me a PM. :thumbup:
i agree with Kimberely, it shouldn't be posted here in the Residency forum. And it's not how old or young everyone is here, it's how immature and aggresive many people posting can (and will) get with these types of threads.