Malpractice coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trudyfae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much coverage is adequate for a surgical pathologist in private practice? Does this generally cover any clinical laboratory directorships you may have, or do you have to get additional coverage for that? I am considering a side job as a lab director and am trying to figure out if I need another policy. In the process, I am reviewing my current policy and am curious as to what most of you have for coverage.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How much coverage is adequate for a surgical pathologist in private practice? Does this generally cover any clinical laboratory directorships you may have, or do you have to get additional coverage for that? I am considering a side job as a lab director and am trying to figure out if I need another policy. In the process, I am reviewing my current policy and am curious as to what most of you have for coverage.
Thanks

That's the nice thing about academics, you don't have to worry about your malpractice.

What do you mean by a "side job" as a lab director? How can you be in two places at once?

Thanks

Hire a good attorney who works in the malpractice field and ask her/his advice. An anonymous internet forum is not a good source of information for this type of important information.

"Your honor, studentdoctor.net suggested that a $50 policy was more than adequate. I can show you the link for this expert advice"

Members don't see this ad :)
Contract details vary, but most lab directors aren't "used" on-site very often. I've heard of numerous situations in which a person was a lab director at various places while also having another full time job of some sort. Of course, some of those situations became known because there -was- a problem.. It's still a matter of (minimally) whether you can fulfill the duties of the job to the letter of the documented requirements for it.

BU Pathologist- Thanks for your advice, and I am not going to use this as my sole source of information. The point of an online forum is to talk to others about their experiences, and that is the point of my question.

The CAP allows a pathologist to be a medical director of up to 5 labs, so covering another lab shouldn't be a question.

Are you paying for malpractice by yourself or is someone paying it for you?

If you're part of a group & they're paying for your insurance, you'll probably need a separate policy for the other lab. (I'm guess the new lab is unaffiliated w/ them.) I think you can just add on the other lab if you're paying for the policy. The insurance company will adjust your premium accordingly.

----- Antony

I thought it was CLIA 88 that set the rules for medical directorship, not the CAP. Or am I mistaken? Obviously, CAP inspections do serve to ensure that CLIA is complied with.