Malpractice insurance for clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in your P4 clinical rotations, where you required to get malpractice insurance?
What was the cost?

Members don't see this ad.

We are required to purchase an insurance policy our first of proffesional studies and renew yearly. The cost is $14/year which I believe is a discounted group rate.

usi said:
For those in your P4 clinical rotations, where you required to get malpractice insurance?
What was the cost?

If you join ASP once you're in school, the insurance is free.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
Not for us. Does your chapter pay the premiums for you?

This is from the APhA website:

Q. What type of professional liability coverage does APhA offer?

A. Student members in their final year of school (on rotations) receive FREE APhA liability insurance coverage through Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO). The coverage, with $1 million per occurrence / $10 million annual aggregate limits of liability, covers last year student members for one year beginning May 1. Additional paperwork is NOT required. Certificates of Coverage for each student are mailed to APhA-ASP Chapter Advisors.

Hey thanks for that info I was unaware of that. I may not have to renew my current policy and save a few $$$ :)
dgroulx said:
This is from the APhA website:

Q. What type of professional liability coverage does APhA offer?

A. Student members in their final year of school (on rotations) receive FREE APhA liability insurance coverage through Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO). The coverage, with $1 million per occurrence / $10 million annual aggregate limits of liability, covers last year student members for one year beginning May 1. Additional paperwork is NOT required. Certificates of Coverage for each student are mailed to APhA-ASP Chapter Advisors.

You know, come to think of it my school pays for malpractice insurance for us for all school rotations and school activities. But, for our regular internship hours that we complete on our own, we have to provide our own insurance.

Thank you. For a second I panic, I thought that is was as expensive as health insurance.