1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Malpractice Insurance for Med Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Makaka, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Makaka

Makaka Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Yall,
    I was wondering if your schools extend malpractice coverage to summer programs at other institutions. My school does not, with really kinda screws **** up in terms of clinical externships for the summer.
    Please respond if you have or will do a clinical externship in the summer between 1st and 2nd year, and how that was affected my your malpractice coverage.

2. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why wouldn't you be covered by the host institution's malpractice, like a 4th year away rotation?

3. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Phew!! I was sweating bullets when I saw the title of this thread.

4. Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    On a 4th year away rotation, you are not covered by the host institution, you are still covered by your home program's institution. That is why a few students (yours truly included) have run into some roadblocks getting externships due to the fact that your home program did not provide enough coverage as dictated by the program you are visiting.

5. OP
    OP
    Makaka

Makaka Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A fourth year roatation counts towards graduation, which is why it is covered. Their exact wording for not covering externships is " Elective clinical experiences for non-degree credit, e.g. summer programs, which are not under (the school in question) direction and control are not covered."