Malpractice Insurance for Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makaka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Yall,
I was wondering if your schools extend malpractice coverage to summer programs at other institutions. My school does not, with really kinda screws **** up in terms of clinical externships for the summer.
Please respond if you have or will do a clinical externship in the summer between 1st and 2nd year, and how that was affected my your malpractice coverage.

Members don't see this ad.

Phew!! I was sweating bullets when I saw the title of this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why wouldn't you be covered by the host institution's malpractice, like a 4th year away rotation?

On a 4th year away rotation, you are not covered by the host institution, you are still covered by your home program's institution. That is why a few students (yours truly included) have run into some roadblocks getting externships due to the fact that your home program did not provide enough coverage as dictated by the program you are visiting.

A fourth year roatation counts towards graduation, which is why it is covered. Their exact wording for not covering externships is " Elective clinical experiences for non-degree credit, e.g. summer programs, which are not under (the school in question) direction and control are not covered."