Malpractice Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmplong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know or have any information on malpractice insurance companies? I'm a foreign medical student, and i was planning to do 3 months of clinical rotation in New York, but most of the places, if not all, require malpractice insurance coverage...any information would be greatly appreciated..thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the IMG section of the medical society of new york. They might be able to give you some pointers as to which companies write short term malpractice coverage for rotating medical students. Back in the days, I received my malpractice coverage for the US through a company in my home country, so I never encountered this problem.

http://www.mssny.org/membership/imgctext.htm

Also, be careful not to exceed 12 weeks of rotations in New York state (unless your medical school is specifically approved for extended rotations by new york). It could lead to snags many years further down the line when if you ever tried to get a residency or medical license in NYS.