Malpractice Question??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zet08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be attending pod school in August of 08, and I was hoping someone could fill me in on what to expect malpractice insurance wise. I'm sure there are many variables, but I'd figure this would be the place to ask. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

also, I was told by my advisor (not sure how much I trust him when it comes to podiatry questions) :rolleyes: that because I haven't taken my MCAT yet, I should wait to apply to schools in January of 08'. Is he correct, or should I apply to pod school now like the pre-meds are?

I'll be attending pod school in August of 08, and I was hoping someone could fill me in on what to expect malpractice insurance wise. I'm sure there are many variables, but I'd figure this would be the place to ask. Thanks!

The malpractice insurance cost does depend on a variety of factors. For example, the malpractice insurance is cheaper if you are a recent residency graduate as compared to someone whom has been in practice for couple of years. Malpractice insurance is also cheaper for those DPMs that do not do surgery as compared to those DPMs that do surgery. Malpractice insurance cost also varies from region to region. In areas where there are a lot of malpractice suits or high pay out for malpractice suits, the cost of the malpractice insurance is higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, I was told by my advisor (not sure how much I trust him when it comes to podiatry questions) :rolleyes: that because I haven't taken my MCAT yet, I should wait to apply to schools in January of 08'. Is he correct, or should I apply to pod school now like the pre-meds are?

He is absolutely wrong! It is just like any med school, apply early. Some schools may not give you a final decision w/ out mcat, but at least (if everything else looks good) they will give you the interview. Apply in september :thumbup:

I agree completely. The earlier the better. When the MCAT results come in, you can submit them to the schools you have applied to. But by no means should you wait until you get your scores to apply. All that will do is lose you valuable time.

too apply for september 08 admission you must wait to apply. The earliest that you can apply is sept 07 for 08 admission. You can apply without the MCAT and most schools will interview you and conditionally accept you until the MCAT is taken. As long as everything else in your application packet is complete and at an acceptable level. They may give you a certain score to aim for on the MCAT as well. NYCPM will tell you to take the DAT if it is at a more convenient time.

hey thanks guys, I really appreciate it!