Managed Care Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistonFan531

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Next week I have an interview at a Managed Care pharmacy for a Managed Care Pharmacist position. For all of the Managed Care Pharmacists here, what were some of the questions that were asked during your interview? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Also, does anyone have an idea as to what the pay is approximately in this field of pharmacy in the Metro Detroit area? I know that retail typically pays about 115K in this area. Is it lower, higher, or pretty much in the same range as retail? I know that some of you may say that it depends on the particular job position and what the responsibilities are. These are the responsibilities that I gathered from the website:

• Improves quality of service to members by providing prior authorization of formulary drugs, developing programs to provide optimal pharmaceutical care to patients, participating in dispute resolution of drug utilization review, measuring and documenting improvements in patient care, and/or improving claim adjudication for proper provider reimbursement
  • Collaborates with other medical management team members in developing treatment guidelines and demonstrates the impact of these guidelines
  • Participates in the maintenance of the non-formulary exception program
  • Participate and review in the utilization management process, including authorizations, denials and appeals.
  • Participates in formulary development and management
  • Monitors prescribing patterns of participating physicians. Makes recommendations to physicians to improve medication regimens as appropriate.
  • Participates in the development and maintenance of processes that incorporate pharmacy data and clinical information obtained in the pharmacy authorization process into client Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) reporting
  • Responds to provider and member questions regarding the pharmacy benefits program.
  • Assist with drug recall and alert communication and safety program.
  • Assists with the preparation and distribution of communication materials between the plan and participating providers
  • Assists the pharmacy care coordinator with drug information and review of complex cases.
  • Participates in the preparation of state-required reports for review and submission at the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee meetings
  • Perform MTM to our Clients members.
  • Perform other duties as assigned

Members don't see this ad.