Management of buprenorphine in the elective perioperative setting.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
< 12mg keep em on it, > 12mg taper to 12 3D prior. And remember, the surgery doesn't cure the addiction.
Figure Perioperative Bupe Flow Chart Anna Lembke July 2017 (1).jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
< 12mg keep em on it, > 12mg taper to 12 3D prior. And remember, the surgery doesn't cure the addiction.View attachment 229831

Or could be likelier the or a few weeks back. Fractured ankle two weeks prior, planned surgery... however the doc managing the medication didn't seem to worry about it. Doing pain and anesthesia it figured I would educate. That got me nowhere. Now I go to the surgeon first hoping to see a difference. Likely not since I find out about it 30 minutes before surgery.

Why 12mg as the cut off? and what is the education to the patient? Most of the time they are understanding that the bup block the other opioids and thus they need significantly higher doses and advocate for that while inpatient.

Basically she's trying to free up MOR's for periop analgesia. DM me if you want the paper.