Mandatory HIV tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From a public health perspective...what do you guys think about mandatory HIV tests?
They are mandatory for marriage I believe...but do you think we should regulate mandatory tests to prevent the spread? Do we do this with other diseases?
I am reading an article on it right now, but I am not done. Just felt I would be a little premature and throw this out there. Attack wolves!
 
I think they should be conditionally mandatory (as they already are, from what you mentioned), i.e. prior to marriage, donating blood, et al - which I believe is done for hepatitis (correct me if I'm wrong). But making such a test mandatory is going to piss off a lot of people. For example, if you have everyone tested, then what would that do? Would people have to carry a little card that says, "I have HIV"? That doesn't sound like a good road to go down.

Andrew