Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Mandatory HIV tests?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Scooby Doo, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

From a public health perspective...what do you guys think about mandatory HIV tests?
    They are mandatory for marriage I believe...but do you think we should regulate mandatory tests to prevent the spread? Do we do this with other diseases?
    I am reading an article on it right now, but I am not done. Just felt I would be a little premature and throw this out there. Attack wolves!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I think they should be conditionally mandatory (as they already are, from what you mentioned), i.e. prior to marriage, donating blood, et al - which I believe is done for hepatitis (correct me if I'm wrong). But making such a test mandatory is going to piss off a lot of people. For example, if you have everyone tested, then what would that do? Would people have to carry a little card that says, "I have HIV"? That doesn't sound like a good road to go down.

Andrew