Mandibular Movements And Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

era

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH ONE QUESTION IN DENTAL DECKS ON MANDIBULAR MOVEMENTS N POSITIONS...
QUESTION: diagram of maxillary teeth with arrows showing direction of movement of mandibular teeth during mandibular movement.

maxillary right side teeth with arrows pointing buccally

ANS:right ,lateral working side

how we can judge whether it is right /left working or nonworking?

QUESTION: diagram of mandibular teeth with arrows indicating direction of movement of maxillary teeth. mandibular right side teeth with arrows pointing distobuccally...

ANS:RIGHT LATERAL,NONWORKING

how we can know working or nonworking,right or left?

plsssssssss anyone explain me....
i m really pissed off...

Members don't see this ad.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH ONE QUESTION IN DENTAL DECKS ON MANDIBULAR MOVEMENTS N POSITIONS...
QUESTION: diagram of maxillary teeth with arrows showing direction of movement of mandibular teeth during mandibular movement.

QUESTION: diagram of mandibular teeth with arrows indicating direction of movement of maxillary teeth. mandibular right side teeth with arrows pointing distobuccally...

i m really pissed off...

When it's right you know it's right. Right? so right and left is the side on which these teeth are located.

When the arrows are straight to the bucal or the lingual, it's working side. When arrows are oblique disto-buccal or mesio-lingual, it's non-working side.

That's it :)

i m really pissed off...
Think of mandibular movement for lateral excursions. Remember that it's called *lateral* for a reason - when it's a working movement to a particular side, the mandible will move laterally toward that side.

So maxillary diagrams show true movement - when the arrow points buccally, the mandible moves to the buccal on that side. In that case it is a lateral excursion on that side. So if you have arrows pointing to the buccal originating on maxillary teeth on the right side, you have right lateral working. On the left it would be left working.

For mandibular diagrams you see the opposite of true movement - the mandible makes the movement but the maxillary arch moves the other way relative to the mandible. For example if the mandible moves to the right, and you were sitting on a mandibular right molar, the maxillary arch would appear to be moving to the left. So if you have an arrow pointing to the lingual originating from mandibular right teeth, that means the mandible is moving to the right - a right lateral excursion. Furthermore it is the working side because that's the side the mandible is moving to.

The mandibular distobuccal arrow refers to a balancing side movement. Remember that these arrows are opposite of true movement. So the mandible is actually moving in a mesiolingual direction (from the right side). The mandible is moving toward the left. In other words, you have left lateral excursion. So the working side is actually the LEFT which means the balancing side is the RIGHT. So you have left lateral movement but the diagram is of the balancing (non-working) side.

Similarly for the maxillary teeth you would have a mesiolingual arrow which represents the non-working side.

Think of mandibular movement for lateral excursions. Remember that it's called *lateral* for a reason - when it's a working movement to a particular side, the mandible will move laterally toward that side.

So maxillary diagrams show true movement - when the arrow points buccally, the mandible moves to the buccal on that side. In that case it is a lateral excursion on that side. So if you have arrows pointing to the buccal originating on maxillary teeth on the right side, you have right lateral working. On the left it would be left working.

For mandibular diagrams you see the opposite of true movement - the mandible makes the movement but the maxillary arch moves the other way relative to the mandible. For example if the mandible moves to the right, and you were sitting on a mandibular right molar, the maxillary arch would appear to be moving to the left. So if you have an arrow pointing to the lingual originating from mandibular right teeth, that means the mandible is moving to the right - a right lateral excursion. Furthermore it is the working side because that's the side the mandible is moving to.

The mandibular distobuccal arrow refers to a balancing side movement. Remember that these arrows are opposite of true movement. So the mandible is actually moving in a mesiolingual direction (from the right side). The mandible is moving toward the left. In other words, you have left lateral excursion. So the working side is actually the LEFT which means the balancing side is the RIGHT. So you have left lateral movement but the diagram is of the balancing (non-working) side.

Similarly for the maxillary teeth you would have a mesiolingual arrow which represents the non-working side.

How is that, can you explain the items in bold. I have not done this in a while. Why would the arrows be pointing to the lingual direction on mandibular Rt. I Molar teeth when its a right lateral movement.?

Members don't see this ad :)

How is that, can you explain the items in bold. I have not done this in a while. Why would the arrows be pointing to the lingual direction on mandibular Rt. I Molar teeth when its a right lateral movement.?

The key point is that only the mandible moves, not the maxilla. So let's think of something stupid and pretend you are some little person sitting in the central fossa of tooth #30 (mand right 1st molar). Now you'll look up and see the right side of the maxillary arch. Let's say that the mandible moves to the right. You are looking *straight up*. What do you see?

You would see the maxillary teeth moving to your *LEFT*. Now remember that the arrows represent movement of the other arch relative to the arch you are looking at on the picture. So if you have arrows pointing to the lingual which originate from mandibular right molars, that would represent the movement of the maxillary arch *relative* to the mandibular arch. So it appears that the maxillary arch is moving left. But since the maxillary arch DOES NOT MOVE, it must actually be the mandibular arch moving to the right. Thus you have right lateral excursion.

The key point is that only the mandible moves, not the maxilla. So let's think of something stupid and pretend you are some little person sitting in the central fossa of tooth #30 (mand right 1st molar). Now you'll look up and see the right side of the maxillary arch. Let's say that the mandible moves to the right. You are looking *straight up*. What do you see?

You would see the maxillary teeth moving to your *LEFT*. Now remember that the arrows represent movement of the other arch relative to the arch you are looking at on the picture. So if you have arrows pointing to the lingual which originate from mandibular right molars, that would represent the movement of the maxillary arch *relative* to the mandibular arch. So it appears that the maxillary arch is moving left. But since the maxillary arch DOES NOT MOVE, it must actually be the mandibular arch moving to the right. Thus you have right lateral excursion.

Got it. Its been a while since I did this. Thanks. You are right, I understand now.

THANKS ALOT BUDDY....IT REALLY WORKED...I USED UR EXPLANATION N IT REALLY WORKED,,THANKS

can u plese explain to me the MANDIBULAR MOTION IN 3DIFFERENT PLANES,in horizontal,saggital n coronal?i cant understand the diagrams posselt"s envelope of motion in saggital plane,horizontal n frontal view............