manual dexterity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lopkiu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do to improve on your manual dexterity? I heard a lot of people keep saying video game, typing and such. Is there any other thing you are doing that are improving it?
P.S. I think video game do help, but based on what game, like CS and driving

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think video games really improve your manual dexterity. Being able to move your thumb quickly does not mean much, and I do not think the phrase, "I played a lot of video games," will translate to an ADCOM as, "I am a mature and capable student ready to pursue the complicated field of dentistry."

Besides, Zelda is the only video game. Period.

Members don't see this ad :)
For manual dexterity, try a musical instrument that allows you to develop main hand skills and off hand skills (guitar, piano, and in general, the stringed instruments.) If you are looking to build both finger strength and dexterity, try chinese medicine balls and a gyroball (not daisuke's pseudo screwball pitch) - old school and new school training components respectively, but I dig it. You can buy both online at martial art's warehouse stores.

get on guitar hero!!!

For me, the best things to improve my manual dexterity have been a sculpture and ceramics class, as well as embroidery. I think the key is practicing making fine, little movements and being able to perform these things accurately.

Playing instruments is also good. I played piano, flute, and piccolo for about 7 years, but I think that the art classes have been the most helpful.

I think manual dexterity means to be able to use your hands skillfully in small movements or tight spots. I mean, a dentist or surgeon needs to use their hands to perform their jobs. You're going to have to be able to not shake and have enough strength to do some of the procedures. I think what will help is to do some crafts that involve your hands. The best thing I think is to build plastic models..of planes or cars. Some of those parts are small and you really need to have some skills to put together a decent model. Something else that helps me a LOT is working on my car and bicycles. I feel just like a dentist or doctor putting on latex gloves (cars/bikes are dirty) and picking up my tools and go at it on the car/bikes. Sometimes working like 5 hours straight, my hand does feel cramped but it's getting better. The tools I use are not unlike the tools some dentists use, except the tools dentists use are smaller. Working on the bike is better for me since everything is much smaller. Video games and typing only works a few muscles and limit the type of movement you make. I think though it will help a little, but doing other things as the other members mentioned will help much more.

Why bother with it now? Whatever gains you make will probably not transfer much to dentistry. There's plenty of time to practice once you get in. If you enjoy something, then do it. Otherwise, don't take something up just because you think it will help you in the future.

I never really did anything, so when I came across the question on the AADSAS app, I put trimming cuts of meat and manipulating bacterial cultures...
redface.gif

For me, poker chip tricks and decal weeding.

Just to throw some quick jabs, Daisuke's pseudo-screw was in full effect as you watched the Red Sox Nation roll on to sweep the WS!!!

I agree, Zelda was awesome, but come on guys, we all know the only game is Contra!!!

As far as manual dexterity, I can agree with some of the prior posts in saying that musical instruments are probably one of the best. I think when you hear about video games being used by surgeons to stay sharp, its more for the hand/eye coordination part of it. If all we had to use was our thumbs for surgery, I'm sure everyone would be a DMD or DDS or otherwise.

I'll also agree with the post about working on things. I firmly believe those of us with technical talents are a little ahead of the game when it comes to working with our hands. I have worked in a race engine shop for the past 3 1/2 years and I can honestly say that I can draw a correllation between doing the machine work necessary to build a competition race engine to procedures required by a dentist to alleviate a problem in the mouth.

You, along with most of the others I tell that to, may think I am on crack for saying that, but it turns out one of my vendors spent 22 years making dental appliances, and now makes titanium parts for engines and he agrees with me 100%.

Something else with my work and hobby experience that has really helped with manual dexterity is tig welding. With this style of welding you have to use both hands, one holding the torch or basically the electrical arc, and the other holding a filler material (stainless, aluminum, steel, etc), and one foot controlling the amount of current supplied to the torch. Some of the stuff we have to weld is fairly intricate and needs to look nice, so you eventually get good at it. The only problem with welding is knowing what to do when there are impurities in the base material and having the knowledge how to get around the problems in order to get to the final outcome.

So, I believe anything that requires you to let your eyes lead your hands in some manner that is going to require skill and some degree of precision is what you are after. Sculpting, instruments, typing, welding...I'm sure you can probably think of something that you can relate to more than video games that will aid you in your quest for better manual dexterity.

Hope this helps.

G

I did carpentry with my father a lot and guitar hero.

Crossing plants too