MD "Manuscript in preparation" for residency applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short is I have a few finished projects, manuscripts complete, that are unlikely to see daylight before residency apps this fall due to bureaucratic log jam. Meanwhile, I have 10+ presentations at local, regional, and national conferences. IMO my application will show plenty of research productivity due to the number of presentations, but the idea of not having any peer reviewed papers to show for the work is a concern. How much will this realistically impact my app? Should I include these "manuscripts in preparation" when filling out apps?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has manuscripts they are working on. Only accepted or published counts.
I figured that is likely the case. How will this impact the application in the context of other research productivity?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can include it on ERAS if it has been submitted somewhere

Reactions: 1 user
You write your research in the “Research experience” area of the ERAS application.
Yes, thank you. I'm interested in hearing perspectives on how this situation will be viewed by residency programs. Particularly, when there is substantial research productivity in terms of presentations and abstracts with relatively few journal publications.

Yes, thank you. I'm interested in hearing perspectives on how this situation will be viewed by residency programs. Particularly, when there is substantial research productivity in terms of presentations and abstracts with relatively few journal publications.
You write what you did in the research experience (techniques, assays, statistics, whatever) and what you got productivity wise out of it (presentations, posters and published manuscripts if there are any). Then if an interviewer asks you about it, talk about it like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and explain why more couldn’t be done with the proper spin (PI had a dumb idea = great hypothesis that just didn’t work out)

You can only list papers if they've been accepted for publication. "We're still working on it" or "it's been submitted for review" means nothing because there's no guarantee the paper isn't trash (which is why peer review exists). I would be extremely cautious about listing any paper that someone reading your application can't find a copy of online, even if it's listed as in press. I had several interviewers actually read some of my publications and ask me questions about the findings.

If you are in a research group, you can describe what you did/do under research experiences. This is pretty useful for bench research, where publications may be few and far between, yet you may have done a lot of interesting work.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless it’s changed you can list things on eras that have been submitted even if they haven’t been accepted yet. In fact, it’s long been a trick for late deciders to submit a number of things quickly right as eras opens just to add a few lines to the CV.

Honestly I think they’re viewed pretty similar to actual pubs by many people. There are definitely some people who will notice, but when you have to review 30+ apps personally it’s not easy to sit down and pubmed everything. It shows you wrote a paper. Maybe it wasn’t a good paper, but it was A paper and that’s better than no papers.

Research heavy programs may care a bit more. If you’re applying somewhere for a residency with a dedicated research track, it will probably get more scrutiny than applying for a standard clinical position.

Having the posters and presentations is great and shows you’ve been productive. Assuming the timelines fit, having a few papers in submission Shows you’re carrying projects to completion. In essence, the presentation is your “in prep” listing for anything you can’t finish and submit before September.

ERAS specifically allows you to list submitted pubs. While they aren’t given the same weight for all the reasons listed above you may as well.

We are 7 months out from ERAS opening. If you have truly completed manuscripts, then what is preventing you from circulating the papers yourself to your co-authors and submitting? Everyone in academic medicine lives by the same publish or perish doctrine, so if you can take the initiative yourself I just can’t imagine anyone would actually stand in your way.

You mention that you presented at 10+ conferences. Check to see if the conference publishes abstracts in a supplemental edition. These can often be pubmed indexed. If this is the case, you can definitely list them on your CV, along with the DOI number.