Many pending pubs, worthy of an update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemist3412

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So for context, I have been doing research extensively for the past 3 years. I've published a few papers, but never in very high journals.

I included a handful of publications in my AMCAS application. I updated schools with a few more publications that came out, and a few manuscripts newly under review, since submitting my AMCAS. I have just submitted 3 more papers for peer-review, one 1st-authored pub in Nature (has already passed review phase #1), one 2nd authored pub in Lancet (has already passed review phase #1), and one 3rd authored pub in Nature (not reviewed yet).

These are experimental manuscripts, and given the high-level journals I submitted these papers to, I thought it would be worth an update? Or should I wait for them to be (hopefully) accepted for publication before submitting an update? I am just afraid that decisions on my pending manuscripts won't happen until after decisions come out.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt adcoms will care about the pubs til they're in black ink on white paper. Just wait.

Reactions: 1 user
If you already have several publications in print, the marginal utility of adding submitted-but-not-accepted manuscripts is tiny - regardless of the journals you send them to or your authorship position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know after they have been assigned a DOI. But if you have already published, additional publications have very marginal impact. They could work against you (why not PhD?). [Didn't you apply with 10 pubs already?]

Besides, don't your already have an A?

Hello,

So for context, I have been doing research extensively for the past 3 years. I've published a few papers, but never in very high journals.

I included a handful of publications in my AMCAS application. I updated schools with a few more publications that came out, and a few manuscripts newly under review, since submitting my AMCAS. I have just submitted 3 more papers for peer-review, one 1st-authored pub in Nature (has already passed review phase #1), one 2nd authored pub in Lancet (has already passed review phase #1), and one 3rd authored pub in Nature (not reviewed yet).

These are experimental manuscripts, and given the high-level journals I submitted these papers to, I thought it would be worth an update? Or should I wait for them to be (hopefully) accepted for publication before submitting an update? I am just afraid that decisions on my pending manuscripts won't happen until after decisions come out.

Thanks!
Seems like you are aiming at t10’s. I would send an update to those you are still waiting on. No downside and only potential upside.