Is a middle author publication worthy of an update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy Bulbis Cordis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a middle author on a publication that was recently accepted and is now in press. I am wondering if an update on this would move the needle in any way. Specifically for the school I interviewed at a couple days ago as well as schools that have yet to send me an II.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a similar pub update beginning of October and have received 3 IIs since that time (after having none). Not saying the pub was the only thing that moved the needle but I feel like it can’t hurt!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not the OP. I was just surprised is all. Does that mean you think it would be different if someone was higher up on the author list?
It has not been my experience that a publication has caused a lot of momentum from admissions committees to send an II or an A, including if you had a more consequential position of authorship on the paper. Perhaps if you were applying to much smaller health professions programs or for Ph.D. programs.

So an hour after sending in this update I was called for an interview from an MD school, and the person on the phone said that the update caught their attention when they were looking for the last spot to fill in the next interview cohort.

SEND THOSE UPDATES PEOPLE

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
So an hour after sending in this update I was called for an interview from an MD school, and the person on the phone said that the update caught their attention when they were looking for the last spot to fill in the next interview cohort.

SEND THOSE UPDATES PEOPLE

Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user