General Admissions & OTCAS Many schools let you have prerequisites pending. How damaging are they to your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reddington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of schools seem to be fine with people having prerequisites still in the works during the time of application, but let's be real, how much of an negative impact will it have on your application? Does anybody have success stories (or less than successful stories) of pending prerequisites having an impact on their application?

For context, I'm applying to San Jose State, and my anatomy grade fell a bit short of their B-minimum requirement.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Following.
And an additional question: how do you indicate future courses on the OTCAS app?

I may be able to answer a bit of your question, but keep in mind this is just "hearsay" from things I've read in the past on this board.
1. Some schools, like Colorado State for example, publish how important completing pre-requisites are. They assign 10% weight of the total app to having completed their pre-reqs, so the more classes completed, the closer to 10% an applicant earns. This is one of the few MOTs I've seen that specifies this level of detail, however.
2. Anatomy is a core class. Most MOTS start out with an anatomy class, so my feeling is whether subjectively or objectively, proven success in this particular class may be weighted more heavily than an English or fine art class, for example. Don't quote me on that, but that's my impression.
3. Since you've already taken anatomy and were less than satisfied with the grade, there's no way to "hide" that class on an application. It is "counted." The best scenario is to mitigate it with a re-take (which you are planning) but I would think a higher grade earned would speak volumes above a "to be re-taken" generality. Keep in mind each individual MOT handles retaken courses differently: some average the 2 grades together, some take the higher grade, some don't look at it at all if it's after the Bachelor's has been completed, and some don't publish what their policy is. Best to call/email and ask.
I am in the same boat currently evaluating if it'd be worthwhile to re-take stat class (b-).
Hope some of this was helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I may be able to answer a bit of your question, but keep in mind this is just "hearsay" from things I've read in the past on this board.
1. Some schools, like Colorado State for example, publish how important completing pre-requisites are. They assign 10% weight of the total app to having completed their pre-reqs, so the more classes completed, the closer to 10% an applicant earns. This is one of the few MOTs I've seen that specifies this level of detail, however.
2. Anatomy is a core class. Most MOTS start out with an anatomy class, so my feeling is whether subjectively or objectively, proven success in this particular class may be weighted more heavily than an English or fine art class, for example. Don't quote me on that, but that's my impression.
3. Since you've already taken anatomy and were less than satisfied with the grade, there's no way to "hide" that class on an application. It is "counted." The best scenario is to mitigate it with a re-take (which you are planning) but I would think a higher grade earned would speak volumes above a "to be re-taken" generality. Keep in mind each individual MOT handles retaken courses differently: some average the 2 grades together, some take the higher grade, some don't look at it at all if it's after the Bachelor's has been completed, and some don't publish what their policy is. Best to call/email and ask.
I am in the same boat currently evaluating if it'd be worthwhile to re-take stat class (b-).
Hope some of this was helpful!
I thought it was! I'm most worried about how I haven't taken stats. I have a D in alg from freshman year, and haven't really taken a math since (I got out of it from when I was an el ed major...A and A- in math for el ed 1+2, which I'm sure they'll laugh at). I got an A- in anatomy and I'm expecting an A in physiology (final on Thursday!) so I'm hoping that'll make up for it. Are the rest of your classes done?

At the time I was accepted into OT school (Midwestern IL and UIC), I still had 3 prerequisites that I hadn't completed yet (Anatomy & Physiology 1, Anatomy & Physiology 2 and Statistics). I know that a few of my classmates also had outstanding prerequisites upon acceptance. Again each school is different so you need to do your research, but it is possible for it not to be considered a disadvantage to your overall application. I think you just need to highlight your other strengths and make sure that you get high grades on the prerequisites that are complete. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user