Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

mapping passages

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by doc4you, Apr 22, 2007.

1. doc4you

doc4you New Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2006
    does anyone actually use this strategy and write out notes on scratch paper?....or do you just read, keep a mental outline of the passage, and answer the questions???...just curious, since writing out notes (even brief ones) for each paragraph seems to be too time consuming...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Chargers

Chargers 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    I stopped doing it after my first diagnostic test. It's very time-consuming, and you still have to flip back and forth to answer the detailed questions. That's just my 2cents

4. Swiperfox

Swiperfox 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    It seemed to help me at first, which I think was really because it forced me to keep everything organized. However, as I felt I was getting better it seemed to hold me back for the reasons you mentioned - too little time. Now, I highlight a few keywords to help me locate specific things in paragraphs, but map completely mentally. This reduced my reading + summarizing Topic/Scope/Purpose time from ~7 minutes to 4 and my score has only been improving.

5. poppytart

poppytart strawberry that is 5+ Year Member

Oct 24, 2005
    I used the mapping strategy, but found that during the actual CBT is what more useful to use the highlighting tool they have available. It does save a lot of time and makes things really easy to find.

6. HristosKaran

HristosKaran Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Yeah, I've learned to map each paragraph with only 3-5 words and highlight..I noticed if I spend any more time mapping it is a major time waster which I need to go through and analyze the questions. I still map though and try to get the main idea of each paragraph that I read.

7. Symphony101

Symphony101 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    if you have trouble getting through the passage, then map. and after sufficient practice, you kind of just internalize the process and will no longer need to write things down. you map automatically.

8. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    mapping sounds like a complete waste of time. there should be no need to map a MCAT-sized passage. there's no shame in going back into the passage to answer the questions either--it'll save you time (and points) over mapping anyway.

9. kerplunk112

kerplunk112 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    ok mapping is complete bull****. the paragraphs on the real thing are way shorter than the kaplan ones. even with verbal, i would simply practice extensively which should allow you to sufficiently remember what you've read ; enough so to answer the questions.

10. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    No point in mapping physical or biological sciences. Map verbal passages in your head. The whole point of mapping is really to take a step back for a second and analyze what you just read. It forces you to understand those crappy verbal passages.