bleh4788

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
58
0
NY
Status
is this the date that schools find out where else you have been accepted? I know this has been discussed before in other threads....but I don't think anyone had a definitive answer.
also, if this is the date, could that play a role in decisions of non-rolling schools that don't send out acceptances till after march 15th?
 

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
798
1
Status
bleh4788 said:
is this the date that schools find out where else you have been accepted? I know this has been discussed before in other threads....but I don't think anyone had a definitive answer.
also, if this is the date, could that play a role in decisions of non-rolling schools that don't send out acceptances till after march 15th?

So, if you go to the AMCAS website, it clearly spells it out: May 15.
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
4,463
16
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
GuyLaroche said:
So, if you go to the AMCAS website, it clearly spells it out: May 15.
For once, you should probably chill out.

The OP is correct. march 15th is the day that schools can find out where you've been accepted.
May 15th is the day we can only hold one spot.

EDIT: Also, schools must fill all their spots by March 15th. So if you have an interview after March 15th, you are probably interviewing for a spot on the waitlist
 

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
370
0
35
the lab! yay!
Status
Medical Student
Hmmm... it says in my 2005 MSAR pg 18 that "Medical schools collectively agree to issue, by March 30 of the matriculation year, a number of acceptances at least equal to the size of the first year entering class..."

[edit] but I have heard 15th of march anecdotally (and print is usually behind)

Anyway, by that date they have to issue acceptances equal to their class, waitlist people they might take alternatively and reject everyone else.
 

bidster

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
352
0
35
Visit site
Status
ellia08 said:
Anyway, by that date they have to issue acceptances equal to their class, waitlist people they might take alternatively and reject everyone else.
Unless "they" happen to be Yale :rolleyes: :(

edit: Nevermind, I misread the AMCAS rules page and mixed up the part about March 30th with the paragraph right below it where they talk about May 15. I guess Yale *can* drag this out through the 22nd, but it's still a long time!
 

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
798
1
Status
MadameLULU said:
For once, you should probably chill out.

The OP is correct. march 15th is the day that schools can find out where you've been accepted.
May 15th is the day we can only hold one spot.

EDIT: Also, schools must fill all their spots by March 15th. So if you have an interview after March 15th, you are probably interviewing for a spot on the waitlist
This cannot possibly be correct. I read through the AMCAS website, and I understand that May 15 is when admissions officers can access that information. If you happen to know differently, then post the link on the AMCAS website for this piece of information, information fausse d'agent.

PS: Why on earth should I chill out? There was nothing in my post that warranted your unsolicited moderation. Mmkay?
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
4,463
16
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
GuyLaroche said:
This cannot possibly be correct. I read through the AMCAS website, and I understand that May 15 is when admissions officers can access that information.
Click on the above links. You'll find out that you are wrong. :D :D
 

PhotoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
460
1
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Yah, UWash issues about half of their acceptances between Mar 23 and Mar 30. Talk about cutting it close.
 

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
798
1
Status
MadameLULU said:
Click on the above links. You'll find out that you are wrong. :D :D
Well, so the only rules spelled out per the 15th of March is that schools report to AAMC of "actions taken." This does not mean that they can access the information. You're making leaps here, and from my conversations with quite a few admissions directors, I don't believe that date to be accurate.
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
4,463
16
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
GuyLaroche said:
Well, so the only rules spelled out per the 15th of March is that schools report to AAMC of "actions taken." This does not mean that they can access the information. You're making leaps here, and from my conversations with quite a few admissions directors, I don't believe that date to be accurate.
Actually, I'm not making leaps. The director of admissions at a certain med school told all the applicants this during his speech.
 

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
370
0
35
the lab! yay!
Status
Medical Student
Sorry for the confusion in my earlier posts. Heres the deal, at least as I got it from the above links:

March 15th: Every Med school must send one class' worth with acceptances (ie: approximately 150 people though this varys by school). Med schools may NOT see where else an applicant has been accepted. They may only select and notify applicants that they are most interested in.

May 15th
: Students must now be holding one acceptance. Med schools "see" where a student is going AND where they remain on the waitlist.

If a student holds multiple acceptances after this date, med schools my confer with each other. They get really really angry if you do this, so dont.


Because some applicants recieve multiple acceptances, the idea that a med schools class is "filled" by March 15th is deceptive. As those people choose where they are going there is a trickledown effect that keeps waitlists very active through May (although they may remain active much longer).
 

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
1,111
0
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
MadameLULU said:
Actually, I'm not making leaps. The director of admissions at a certain med school told all the applicants this during his speech.
We were also told the same thing by the director of admissions at an interview. Apparently, after March 16th, schools can "see" the list of acceptances that an applicant is holding. (This is not explicitely written down in the AAMC guidelines but is apparently the real deal).

Here is the official word from AAMC:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/acceptprocedures.pdf

After March 16th, schools must notify AAMC of any acceptances they give out within 7 days (all schools have access to this database):

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Also, please note that if you are holding an acceptance at a school that starts Prior to July 31st, the day beyond which you can hold no more than 1 acceptance is April 15th (off the top of my head, I know that this applies only to Wake Forest).
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
1,017
0
Visit site
Status
Code Brown said:
We were also told the same thing by the director of admissions at an interview. Apparently, after March 16th, schools can "see" the list of acceptances that an applicant is holding. (This is not explicitely written down in the AAMC guidelines but is apparently the real deal).

This is interesting. Any ideas how this affects us as applicants? If an applicant does not have an acceptance in hand by March 16th, are schools more or less likely going to offer him/her one?
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
Code Brown said:
We were also told the same thing by the director of admissions at an interview. Apparently, after March 16th, schools can "see" the list of acceptances that an applicant is holding. (This is not explicitely written down in the AAMC guidelines but is apparently the real deal).

Here is the official word from AAMC:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/acceptprocedures.pdf

After March 16th, schools must notify AAMC of any acceptances they give out within 7 days (all schools have access to this database):

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Also, please note that if you are holding an acceptance at a school that starts Prior to July 31st, the day beyond which you can hold no more than 1 acceptance is April 15th (off the top of my head, I know that this applies only to Wake Forest).
so we either have to relinquish all other acceptance and hold only Wake's or relinquish that one by April 15th??? that totally ssssuuuccckkksss. which other schools?
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
sdnstud said:
This is interesting. Any ideas how this affects us as applicants? If an applicant does not have an acceptance in hand by March 16th, are schools more or less likely going to offer him/her one?
i'd assume more likely to send an acceptance to one who has no others b/c that person is more likely to accept it and they want higher acceptance rates from those to whom they offer admission
 

FloridaMadame

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
154
2
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
so we either have to relinquish all other acceptance and hold only Wake's or relinquish that one by April 15th??? that totally ssssuuuccckkksss. which other schools?
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine-April 15th :confused:
 

YzIa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
812
1
Status
FloridaMadame said:
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine-April 15th :confused:
Yeah, you you are accepted there you have to drop all other acceptances (or the CCLCM acceptance) by April 15th.
 

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,094
9
36
Cloud 8
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's the deal with Stanford? Man, they're really sittin' on their a$$es. I doubt that they'll have sent enough acceptances by the 15th.

Also, is it really the 15th? The AAMC link seems to say it's the 30th.

:confused:
 

trinitrotoluene

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
249
2
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
so we either have to relinquish all other acceptance and hold only Wake's or relinquish that one by April 15th??? that totally ssssuuuccckkksss. which other schools?
Case Western
 

DrThom

Thundercat
15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2003
1,160
8
36
Using sight beyond sight...
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Psycho Doctor said:
so we either have to relinquish all other acceptance and hold only Wake's or relinquish that one by April 15th??? that totally ssssuuuccckkksss. which other schools?
They told us May 1st at my interview as the time we have to decide by.
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
you know, I talked to the admissions director and may 1st is the "deadline" that they usually have. but the director was saying something to the effect that they changed the rules and u can hold out longer than that. u might wanna check out the AMCAS website for the official ruling. but, I mean... if you wanna be fair and all that, u might as well figure out where you're going and give some waitlist people a chance to figure stuff out.
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
DrThom said:
They told us May 1st at my interview as the time we have to decide by.
well that's better then, that was the impression i was under
 

boardchic

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
194
0
Status
[/QUOTE]Also, is it really the 15th? The AAMC link seems to say it's the 30th.
Why are people all stuck on the 15th? The date the schools must have all their spots filled is March 30.
"By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."
 

calvin&hobbes

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
42
0
Serendipity3
Status
Is March 15 considered one of the big days for rolling schools (aside from May 15)? Will that be the day that final waves of acceptances are sent out? So if you don't hear after that, then you're pretty much waitlisted or rejected?
 

olw7

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
8
0
In His Hands
Status
leiface said:
Um, I believe they said school starts on August 11th, am I right?

Yeah, school starts on the 11th. trinitrotoluene is probably thinking about the Cleveland Clinic class, they start in june doing research i think, so they have to make a decision earlier.