Marian (MUCOM) vs Wayne State vs Top Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med0426

Reaction score
Hello,
I have reached a really difficult point in the admissions cycle where I am at a cross roads. I received an acceptance from a DO school ( Marian University) in my state and I recently received an acceptance to an MD school out of state ( Wayne State). I am strongly leaning towards primary care ( either internal medicine or pediatrics or a double board certification) which is why I thought it would be okay to apply to both programs. I am also waitlisted at my top choice (Indiana University). I am at a crossroads because I already have a deposit placed at Marian since that is where I was first accepted. I only have 5 days to decide whether I want to commit to Wayne state. Below I have some extra information about both the schools. But I am truly lost. I am also conflicted because my top choice (an MD) is still in the running ( I am waitlisted here).
Marian (DO)
Small
Close-knit
Professors seem to focus on students rather than research
Have been great at communicating
Great location ( Close to family which is super important)
lots of nearby affiliations
COA= about 40,000 per year after aid ( did get institutional aid)
100% placement rate
Felt like Home
Cons:
relatively new program
obstacle because of DO title

Wayne State (MD)
Well established
Lots of hospital affiliations
MD
Clinical experience built into curriculum from year 1
Cons:
Further from family (4-5 hours)
did not love the city of Detroit
out of state tuition= about 60,000 per year
Huge class Size ( almost 300)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There isn’t a deposit required at Wayne State, so you don’t need to worry about throwing money down the drain.

Wayne State will offer more in terms of clinical experiences, research, and match success. Plus, if you were just accepted, there’s still a chance you could get some aid. I’d go with Wayne State.

Reactions: 3 users
If family support is huge, I would go with Marian. They have such a great placement rate, I dont see why choosing an MD would benefit you that much more, given the cons of more debt and further from familial support. Also if you put a deposit down at Wayne, but then are accepted at Indiana, that is two more deposits you will have to pay.

Also Indiana has a CTE deadline of 7/13. Theres still plenty of time of waitlist movement that can occur, but not to keep your hope up, even if you dont get in, you end up at a good school

Reactions: 1 user
There isn’t a deposit required at Wayne State, so you don’t need to worry about throwing money down the drain.

Wayne State will offer more in terms of clinical experiences, research, and match success. Plus, if you were just accepted, there’s still a chance you could get some aid. I’d go with Wayne State.
Thanks. I didn't know they didn't require a deposit. Is this a well known fact? Am I dumb for assuming they did?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I didn't know they didn't require a deposit. Is this a well known fact? Am I dumb for assuming they did?

Not at all, because requiring a deposit still seems to be the norm at most schools. I had to double-check myself after being accepted there.

Reactions: 1 users
Wayne State! MD over DO any day—especially if you ever decide to change your mind and go for a competitive residency. Also, with Step 1 being p/f, you want a well-known program with plenty of in-house residency choices. Plus, you’ll be jealous of the MD students with low stress about the P/F USMLE while you are stressing about acing COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 users
MD > DO. Even if you decide to go pediatrics, you'll find that many of the top-tier peds residencies have little if any DO's on their roster. With the Step 1 transition on the horizon, we don't really know how it will affect DO applicants. While It might not have a significant impact, it's foolish to think that it won't have any impact whatsoever. Either way, that's a risk that you have the option of not taking right now.

Reactions: 1 user
The rule of thumb on SDN is MD>DO and cheaper > more expensive. As the two criteria are a wash for you, I'd say your next criteria of importance for you personally is family support. I chose my DO school based off of location/family support, and do not regret my decision at all. USMLE Step 1 being pass/fail is a poor criteria for selecting a school as COMLEX Level 1 is likely to follow suit (not announced yet). If you're dead set on a big name academic institution for Internal Medicine, then obviously go to Wayne State. But, looking at the Indiana University IM current residents, it looks like they are very willing to accept DO students, so you can end up at IU even after attending MUCOM.