marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchyno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in my younger years i was an occasional pot-user, until i was about 18 was where i stopped using, drinking and whatnot. it wasn't like i was crazy about it, it's just that it was the wrong group of friends to be with. anyway, i was about 18 when i had been arrested for, mind you, "0.01" grams of marijuana. i know i can get this expunged, but i would like to know if this is going to hurt my chances of becoming a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

hey i wouldn't think so, there are times like that, make sure you do go in school like A's and B's..

in my younger years i was an occasional pot-user, until i was about 18 was where i stopped using, drinking and whatnot. it wasn't like i was crazy about it, it's just that it was the wrong group of friends to be with. anyway, i was about 18 when i had been arrested for, mind you, "0.01" grams of marijuana. i know i can get this expunged, but i would like to know if this is going to hurt my chances of becoming a pharmacist?

I think it depends on the charge. Was it felony drug possession or misdemeanor drug possession? Regardless, if you really want to be accepted to pharmacy school, get a good lawyer and get it off your record. Considering you are trying to become a "licenced drug dealer," schools (and state boards of pharmacy) aren't too excited about drug charges.

Members don't see this ad :)
THANK GOD, because my dream of becoming a pharmacist was becoming ruined everyday i think about this. i will make sure that from this day forward, only alcohol will be filtered out of me!

yea it was a misdemeanor

hahah 0.01 grams?!?! sounds like shake, why did the cop even bother...
You shouldnt have anything to worry about, just get it expunged they wont see it.

hahah 0.01 grams?!?! sounds like shake, why did the cop even bother...
You shouldnt have anything to worry about, just get it expunged they wont see it.

If you can get it expunged - you'll be just fine... If you cannot (mind you some drug charges - even if misdem. - cannot be expunged) - I dont think you will be able to matriculate. Background checks are ran on students - you have to disclose any charges when applying (on pharmcas or any other app). An illegal drug charge points to a morality/ethics issue (even if wasn't that bad). No state would allow you to be a pharmacist with a drug charge...

talk to a lawyer and find out your options.

~above~

I had a friend who got arresed for possession before he went to pharm school. He got it expunged. Now he is a pharmacist, chillen, making dough, and living the life.

Drug charges are no good-especially with the competition these days. I suggest you get it off your record as fast as you can, because it would be hard to get a job even as a tech with a drug charge.

Haha, 0.01 grams? That's dust. Should have just eaten it. ;)

0.01 grams...

how the hell did they even see it? blowing on it wouldve probably gotten rid of it. haha.

Haha, 0.01 grams? That's dust. Should have just eaten it. ;)

Lol. Did you know it is illegal to possess drugs, but somehow it is not illegal if you have it in your system? So if he had eaten it, they officer could not have charged him with anything.

i thought schools don't do background checks on misdemeanors anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
If they kicked out all of the kids at WVU that used marijuana while IN pharmacy school.....well...the matriculation rate would take a decent hit.

Lol. Did you know it is illegal to possess drugs, but somehow it is not illegal if you have it in your system? So if he had eaten it, they officer could not have charged him with anything.

Naw, if you see him coming and just eat it...it's not possession anymore since there's no evidence. Same as a cop just catching you high, which they can't really do anything about. Well, enough pointers for smokers then. =X

If they kicked out all of the kids at WVU that used marijuana while IN pharmacy school.....well...the matriculation rate would take a decent hit.

I don't know about pharmacy school, but if they kicked out all the people smoking in college, there wouldn't be any students left.

Hi!!
The best thing to do here would be to hire a lawyer and do something to a record. Even if it will not affect your admissions, it might affect your pharmacy liscence. :)

Hi,
I'm currently working as a tech in T pharmacy in Oregon and I went to the University of Oregon where pot smokers are freely smoking even on campus.

There is no difference in my work either. Quite a few pharmacists and techs do regularly smoke. Once, my neighbor was smoking pots too much that I called the police to report. They said they won't even come unless that person has more than one pound in possession.

:oops:

drugs are bad, mmmkay.

Once, my neighbor was smoking pots too much that I called the police to report. They said they won't even come unless that person has more than one pound in possession.:oops:

Seems pretty "unneighborly" of you to so that.... Wow

you cant enter pharmacy. being caught with drugs is the same as murder. lol. the only way you can get in is if you get 4.0 gpa and 99-100 pcat.

Hi,
I'm currently working as a tech in T pharmacy in Oregon and I went to the University of Oregon where pot smokers are freely smoking even on campus.

There is no difference in my work either. Quite a few pharmacists and techs do regularly smoke. Once, my neighbor was smoking pots too much that I called the police to report. They said they won't even come unless that person has more than one pound in possession.

:oops:
Good ole Eugene..........I would expect nothing less from that city. They bring good music to the area so they cool in my book. Smoking weed and working as a pharmacist seems risky, if you get caught, you might be up **** creek. Don't get me wrong I believe taking drugs is a personal choice but as a Pharmacist it just seems ironic.

I think the main issue is taking the Naplex- they have their own rules about that, so I would check with their website. No point in working your but off to get your degree and then not being able to practice because you can't take the naplex

.01 grams? wow..that is DEFINITELY a shake...cops in my area will catch foos here wit like a gram and just tell them to dump it out in front of them and then give them a warning..

I used to work in a district attorney's office way back when. i saw many students come in with similar misdemeanors on their ways to health-related careers.

the most intelligent thing for you to do, is to take the advice of other posters here and hire a lawyer and get it expunged. there is no sense in even taking a chance, if you're serious about pharmacy or any other health profession.

when asked if you have ever been convicted on applications (once the charge has been officially expunged) you can legally answer "no."

so long story short, cough up some money, hire a lawyer, and put it behind you. if you do decide to return to smoking, remember that its an offense that can revoke your license. harsh? yes. but it would be a bit ironic as a health care provider to use illegal* drugs.

*illegal meaning literally not legal, not as in bad, or more harmful than legal drugs ie. alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

decent hit.....very punny.

Its kinda stupid that pharmacy schools do drug tests because the stuff that is not so bad for you like Mary Jane stays in your system for at least a few weeks. The really bad stuff like coke, heroin, and commonly abused pharmaceuticals that pharmacists have at there disposal are flushed out with in a matter of days. Sounds like the real druggies will get of scott free while the occasional smoker might get busted for something that is not even as unhealthy and intoxicating as alcohol. Oh well.

In california I spoke with a person who was in charge of licensing investigation for the the Board of Pharmacy. The person told me it is almost like suicide when you get convicted of a drug crime compared to any other crime just because the nature of the business. The board license investigator also told me that arrest pertaining to selling or possesion of drugs is pretty much a denial of a license. I dont want to scare you because the context of our discussion was not about a person who had a marijuana joint, so call your state board and speak with someone regarding your issue...you will get the best advice there than here...........:confused:

I used to work in a district attorney's office way back when. i saw many students come in with similar misdemeanors on their ways to health-related careers.

the most intelligent thing for you to do, is to take the advice of other posters here and hire a lawyer and get it expunged. there is no sense in even taking a chance, if you're serious about pharmacy or any other health profession.

when asked if you have ever been convicted on applications (once the charge has been officially expunged) you can legally answer "no."

so long story short, cough up some money, hire a lawyer, and put it behind you. if you do decide to return to smoking, remember that its an offense that can revoke your license. harsh? yes. but it would be a bit ironic as a health care provider to use illegal* drugs.

*illegal meaning literally not legal, not as in bad, or more harmful than legal drugs ie. alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

decent hit.....very punny.

Good advice if the person lives in your state...some states it doesnt matter if you get an expungement...the information will come up during a background check by the state ...it may not matter if you get an expungement...

I think if you can explain yourself well, you'll be fine. That was many years ago and you've since changed so much so that you got the grades necessary to even consider pharmacy school. So they can suck on that. Anyway, hopefully it'll be completely legal before you apply!

u might even be able to put a spin to the incident...u can tell the adcoms how getting caught and the phase of blazing was just a phase afterall, and it was because of this it made you want to go into pharmacy for watever reasons... plenty of my friends were potheads back then and have grown out of it and have become health professionalss

just a thought.....I wonder if pharmacists in countries such as Canada and Amsterdam get their license revoked for failing the drug test (for weed).

Tampering with evidence.