Marist DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexBS90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day to all,

I am looking to gain insight to anyone who has heard of the Marist University DPT program starting in 2019. I applied and I am waiting on hearing back in regards to interviews and what not...

2018/19 will be their first year and I am curious to hear the opinions of others that may have applied to the program. Would you consider being the foundation of a program vs an established one?

Members don't see this ad.

Good day to all,

I am looking to gain insight to anyone who has heard of the Marist University DPT program starting in 2019. I applied and I am waiting on hearing back in regards to interviews and what not...

2018/19 will be their first year and I am curious to hear the opinions of others that may have applied to the program. Would you consider being the foundation of a program vs an established one?

Marist College or Marist University? I am in Marist College's first cohort for DPT (Poughkeepsie NY) - we just started in January.

Good day to all,

Wow, I just saw how old this post is. Weird, it showed up as a recent thread...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I just saw how old this post is. Weird, it showed up as a recent thread...
Hi! I just applied to Marist for January 2019, do you have any tips or suggestions for getting into their program? Or any information about the program in general would be very helpful to know, thank you!!

Marist College or Marist University? I am in Marist College's first cohort for DPT (Poughkeepsie NY) - we just started in January.
Marist College. Although it is a "candidate for accreditation" not yet accredited...what are your thoughts?

Hi! I just applied to Marist for January 2019, do you have any tips or suggestions for getting into their program? Or any information about the program in general would be very helpful to know, thank you!!
Hi! They want to ideally see a variety of facilities for shadowing hours - peds, inpatient, SNF, and so on. It gives you a more well-rounded perspective of what PT encompasses. Definitely brush up on your interviewing skills - be able to speak clearly, intelligently, yet also have a personality under pressure. I find that the faculty are all really passionate about the field of PT and genuinely want the right people in the program - those that have not only the perseverance to handle the coursework, but are also looking to get into PT for the right reasons. My cohort is small and we are all definitely different people, but I think what we all have in common is our ability and willingness to work HARD, and how enthusiastic we are all about PT, and those qualities shine through in an interview. :) Good luck & please let me know if I can help in any way!

Reactions: 1 users
Marist College. Although it is a "candidate for accreditation" not yet accredited...what are your thoughts?
That was actually the question I asked during my interview, and I was very comfortable with how it was answered. Our director has been a DPT director for a number of years and helped another program turn itself around, so she is very experienced with the accreditation requirements. A lot of our faculty have taught in DPT programs and themselves are PTs, so they are also well-versed in requirements. All of our syllabi/course requirements are clearly mapped to CAPTE requirements, and the program itself has been very transparent and open about what steps are taken/need to be taken, and how they plan to accomplish them. Additionally, I grew up here locally and just knowing Marist by reputation, I find it nearly impossible to imagine they would fail to get accredited. My cohort and I discussed it amongst ourselves a couple of times, and while it is slightly unsettling, none of us are worried about it. We have full faith in both Marist and our director and faculty. It's actually quite fun to be a part of something so new and exciting, and the faculty are really enjoying being able to take their previous DPT teaching experience/best practices and mold this program to what they think is best. Finally, Marist also has a brand-new PA program that I think either just got or is about to get accredited, so the College itself is experienced with successfully starting up a new program.

Hi! They want to ideally see a variety of facilities for shadowing hours - peds, inpatient, SNF, and so on. It gives you a more well-rounded perspective of what PT encompasses. Definitely brush up on your interviewing skills - be able to speak clearly, intelligently, yet also have a personality under pressure. I find that the faculty are all really passionate about the field of PT and genuinely want the right people in the program - those that have not only the perseverance to handle the coursework, but are also looking to get into PT for the right reasons. My cohort is small and we are all definitely different people, but I think what we all have in common is our ability and willingness to work HARD, and how enthusiastic we are all about PT, and those qualities shine through in an interview. :) Good luck & please let me know if I can help in any way!
Hi, I am super excited to have the chance to interview with Marist - this Friday actually (4/6)! I am looking for tips on how to prepare for the interview. Because this experience is behind you, your advice is valued! I am prepared to answer questions that are typical but any other advice would be much appreciated! What I love about Marist is they are looking for passion and I believe they will see that surface in me because I plan on just being myself. Thanks in advance! How's the program going so far?! Marist is my #1 pick!

Hi, I am super excited to have the chance to interview with Marist - this Friday actually (4/6)! I am looking for tips on how to prepare for the interview. Because this experience is behind you, your advice is valued! I am prepared to answer questions that are typical but any other advice would be much appreciated! What I love about Marist is they are looking for passion and I believe they will see that surface in me because I plan on just being myself. Thanks in advance! How's the program going so far?! Marist is my #1 pick!
Oh awesome, congrats!
We did a group interview - I was with two other candidates. They had 6 questions and each person had to answer it, and were staggered so each person had to answer first, then second, then third. Take your time when you answer, and feel free to ask them to repeat the question, they will not mind. It is nerve-wracking being first but I think third was worst! If you are third, try to not repeat what the other two candidates just said (one guy did that)- to me, it made the candidate sound unoriginal and flat. Try to immediately think of your own unique answer so you aren't tempted to dovetail on the first two candidates. We also had to work together to answer a question. I am not certain what they were looking for, but I think it was to see how you worked together with the other two, in terms of both taking charge yet also working as a team.
Be ready to talk about how awesome and unique you are :) I definitely think being confident and being yourself and NOT a robot is the best thing to do. They want to know you are bright, articulate, passionate, and they want to see your personality! The faculty is very nice and are real people, if that makes sense - be confident and be yourself and GOOD LUCK! DPT doesn't have classes on Friday so unless we are there studying (which is likely) you won't see any of us but I will be thinking of you and sending good vibes! I know how nerve-wracking it is!
And to answer your question, how is it going - welllllll it is a TON of work and absolute culture shock for all of us. We are 25 days from the semester ending (not that we are counting) and finally feeling like maybe we can do this whole doctor PT school thing (as we call it)!
I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oh awesome, congrats!
We did a group interview - I was with two other candidates. They had 6 questions and each person had to answer it, and were staggered so each person had to answer first, then second, then third. Take your time when you answer, and feel free to ask them to repeat the question, they will not mind. It is nerve-wracking being first but I think third was worst! If you are third, try to not repeat what the other two candidates just said (one guy did that)- to me, it made the candidate sound unoriginal and flat. Try to immediately think of your own unique answer so you aren't tempted to dovetail on the first two candidates. We also had to work together to answer a question. I am not certain what they were looking for, but I think it was to see how you worked together with the other two, in terms of both taking charge yet also working as a team.
An EASY question they asked that for some reason threw me off was "why should YOU be accepted?". I don't know why but I froze! So be ready to talk about how awesome and unique you are :) I definitely think being confident and being yourself and NOT a robot is the best thing to do. They want to know you are bright, articulate, passionate, and they want to see your personality! The faculty is very nice and are real people, if that makes sense - be confident and be yourself and GOOD LUCK! DPT doesn't have classes on Friday so unless we are there studying (which is likely) you won't see any of us but I will be thinking of you and sending good vibes! I know how nerve-wracking it is!
And to answer your question, how is it going - welllllll it is a TON of work and absolute culture shock for all of us. We are 25 days from the semester ending (not that we are counting) and finally feeling like maybe we can do this whole doctor PT school thing (as we call it)!
I hope this helps!
Oh wow, this is great help and thank you for thinking of me - SUPER nice of you!
I add the above question to my list and be prepared to answer it confidently! :)
As for some other questions I'm preparing for:
Why PT?
Why Marist?
How can you make a difference?
Name some challenges you've experienced and how you dealt with them.
Thank you again, and I will let you know the end result!
Good luck with your classes!

Oh wow, this is great help and thank you for thinking of me - SUPER nice of you!
I add the above question to my list and be prepared to answer it confidently! :)
As for some other questions I'm preparing for:
Why PT?
Why Marist?
How can you make a difference?
Name some challenges you've experienced and how you dealt with them.
Thank you again, and I will let you know the end result!
Good luck with your classes!
Also think of at least one question you want to ask the faculty!
And thank you - we are in the home stretch for the end of the semester! Instead of counting sheep to fall asleep, I'm counting cranial nerves! lol

Hey, so the interview went well, I think.. I hope!
I feel I prepared for questions that weren't asked and wasn't prepared for others. lol ugh I think it's hard to convey everything you wanted so I feel I could have said more. I believe I answered some strongly and others not so much but I feel that's pretty typical.
I did ask a question about clinical placements and if a student has interest in a site in which they aren't affiliated, would they would be willing to effectuate a relationship with that site.
Anyway, how soon after did you hear from Marist about acceptance? I'm not sure if they are wanting my final grades from this semester, which ends on May 9.

Hey, so the interview went well, I think.. I hope!
I feel I prepared for questions that weren't asked and wasn't prepared for others. lol ugh I think it's hard to convey everything you wanted so I feel I could have said more. I believe I answered some strongly and others not so much but I feel that's pretty typical.
I did ask a question about clinical placements and if a student has interest in a site in which they aren't affiliated, would they would be willing to effectuate a relationship with that site.
Anyway, how soon after did you hear from Marist about acceptance? I'm not sure if they are wanting my final grades from this semester, which ends on May 9.
Yay I'm glad it went well!
I went home and cried after my interview. I was sure everything I said was stupid. They know you're super nerved up and take it into account. I don't know if it made a difference but I did send a follow-up thank you email to the director.
Our situation was a little different. They received permission from NYS to enroll students much later than anticipated, so I interviewed on a Tuesday and received a phone call from the director telling me I was accepted on Thursday - two days later (they told me I wouldn't hear from them for 3 weeks so I was shocked). I was in the first interview which was in November, for a January start. So our entire cohort was expedited. I am not sure what their turnaround time will be for your cohort. I do know they just started interviewing and I think they are doing rolling admissions (?) but I could be wrong. Hopefully soon! The wait back to hear is nerve-wracking!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone recieved a response from Marist after their interview?

Yay I'm glad it went well!
I went home and cried after my interview. I was sure everything I said was stupid. They know you're super nerved up and take it into account. I don't know if it made a difference but I did send a follow-up thank you email to the director.
Our situation was a little different. They received permission from NYS to enroll students much later than anticipated, so I interviewed on a Tuesday and received a phone call from the director telling me I was accepted on Thursday - two days later (they told me I wouldn't hear from them for 3 weeks so I was shocked). I was in the first interview which was in November, for a January start. So our entire cohort was expedited. I am not sure what their turnaround time will be for your cohort. I do know they just started interviewing and I think they are doing rolling admissions (?) but I could be wrong. Hopefully soon! The wait back to hear is nerve-wracking!
Thank you letter is key, I agree! I actually wrote a thank you letter and mailed it for which they should have received yesterday.
Your story makes me feel better - because it's just human to have those feelings. Yes, my nerves are a little amped at the moment while waiting for the answer. Thanks for your support and I will definitely let you know the end result!

Has anyone recieved a response from Marist after their interview?
Hey, I interviewed Friday April 6 and have not heard. When did you interview? Do you have any idea when we will hear? I didn't ask because I didn't want to come across as pushy.

Hey, I interviewed Friday April 6 and have not heard. When did you interview? Do you have any idea when we will hear? I didn't ask because I didn't want to come across as pushy.

I interviewed March 26th and have not heard back yet. I didnt ask when they would be contacting us either so i have no idea when we will hear, i will post on here when I receive a response and would appreciate if you did the same!

I interviewed March 26th and have not heard back yet. I didnt ask when they would be contacting us either so i have no idea when we will hear, i will post on here when I receive a response and would appreciate if you did the same!
I asked faculty last weekend and they said that they have not accepted anyone yet - NOT that they've rejected everyone, don't panic!!!! just that they haven't actually begun accepting yet. I do know they've been actively interviewing. If I find out when they start accepting I will post it here!

I asked faculty last weekend and they said that they have not accepted anyone yet - NOT that they've rejected everyone, don't panic!!!! just that they haven't actually begun accepting yet. I do know they've been actively interviewing. If I find out when they start accepting I will post it here!
Thank you! I hope they don't break this southern girls heart ! ha

I just got an invitation for an interview. This will be my first interview for a graduate program. I will be flying in for this interview and I have never been to New York before. I'm excited and nervous. I've been trying to get into PT school for awhile and I'm blessed to have this opportunity. Does anyone have any additional advice for the interviewing process or remember some questions that was asked?

I just got an invitation for an interview. This will be my first interview for a graduate program. I will be flying in for this interview and I have never been to New York before. I'm excited and nervous. I've been trying to get into PT school for awhile and I'm blessed to have this opportunity. Does anyone have any additional advice for the interviewing process or remember some questions that was asked?
Hey there! Congratulations! :)
I think they are looking for candidates who are very articulate, can express their thoughts, and are passionate. Having completed a tri, I would imagine they are looking for candidates who can speak to their ability to work hard and stay calm. They completed a professional eval on us at the conclusion of the tri and they commented on everything - our attitudes, how we handle stress, our interpersonal skills...don't be afraid to show your personality, be happy and laugh, don't be deer in headlights nervous (well you will be, but hide it!), try to be as relaxed as possible and if you feel intimidated or "I'm not worthy", remember how hard you worked to get to this point and that you must be fairly intelligent to get the grades and GPA to get yourself to an interview. In other words, be confident - it'll show. The faculty are very warm and caring. They aren't jerks and genuinely want the best candidates possible that they feel can be awesome PTs and can survive the rigors of the course work. They are easy to talk to, so be yourself and talk to them.
The Hudson Valley where Marist is located is beautiful. If you have the time and are looking for things to do, let me know - I grew up here :) Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hey there! Congratulations! :)
At mine they asked us to talk about a time we worked with someone difficult (doesn't have to be a patient) and how we handled it, challenges to the PT field, what do YOU bring to the table that is unique from other candidates, and a few other things.
I think they are looking for candidates who are very articulate, can express their thoughts, and are passionate. Having completed a tri, I would imagine they are looking for candidates who can speak to their ability to work hard and stay calm. They completed a professional eval on us at the conclusion of the tri and they commented on everything - our attitudes, how we handle stress, our interpersonal skills...don't be afraid to show your personality, be happy and laugh, don't be deer in headlights nervous (well you will be, but hide it!), try to be as relaxed as possible and if you feel intimidated or "I'm not worthy", remember how hard you worked to get to this point and that you must be fairly intelligent to get the grades and GPA to get yourself to an interview. In other words, be confident - it'll show. The faculty are very warm and caring. They aren't jerks and genuinely want the best candidates possible that they feel can be awesome PTs and can survive the rigors of the course work. They are easy to talk to, so be yourself and talk to them.
The Hudson Valley where Marist is located is beautiful. If you have the time and are looking for things to do, let me know - I grew up here :) Good luck!!

Thank you so much for your advise and pep talk! Congrats on completing a trimester and I wish you the best of luck on finishing strong in your education! Based off of photos it does look beautiful and I'm super excited to be there next week. I wish our trip could be longer. I definitely want to squeeze in as much activities as I can while I'm there. We will be in Poughkeepsie for a couple of days and then we are trying to see NYC for a day before flying back. So, if you have any suggestions I'm happy to hear them :)

Thank you so much for your advise and pep talk! Congrats on completing a trimester and I wish you the best of luck on finishing strong in your education! Based off of photos it does look beautiful and I'm super excited to be there next week. I wish our trip could be longer. I definitely want to squeeze in as much activities as I can while I'm there. We will be in Poughkeepsie for a couple of days and then we are trying to see NYC for a day before flying back. So, if you have any suggestions I'm happy to hear them :)
Thank you!
If the weather is good, check out the Walkway Over the Hudson, it's maybe a minute from campus, and you can walk right out across the river. Takes an hour to walk the whole thing (2.5 miles) but you could at least see the water in a half hour and not walk the whole thing. It's beautiful and unique. If you're a history person (I'm not) Hyde Park has a bunch of old estates - FDR estate, Val-Kill (Eleanor Roosevelt's hideaway), Vanderbilt estate (is BEAUTIFUL, great view of the river).
There are a ton of awesome hiking/biking/running trails around here.
And since the CIA (Culinary, not the other CIA, lol) is in Hyde Park and we aren't far from the City, there are countless amazing restaurants close by too! For living situations, a lot of students live in Fox Run which is walking distance to our building, if you wanted to drive by that. It isn't owned by Marist but it is off-campus college living.

Thank you!
If the weather is good, check out the Walkway Over the Hudson, it's maybe a minute from campus, and you can walk right out across the river. Takes an hour to walk the whole thing (2.5 miles) but you could at least see the water in a half hour and not walk the whole thing. It's beautiful and unique. If you're a history person (I'm not) Hyde Park has a bunch of old estates - FDR estate, Val-Kill (Eleanor Roosevelt's hideaway), Vanderbilt estate (is BEAUTIFUL, great view of the river).
There are a ton of awesome hiking/biking/running trails around here.
And since the CIA (Culinary, not the other CIA, lol) is in Hyde Park and we aren't far from the City, there are countless amazing restaurants close by too! For living situations, a lot of students live in Fox Run which is walking distance to our building, if you wanted to drive by that. It isn't owned by Marist but it is off-campus college living.

Thank you so much! This is all helpful information and I'm jotting notes down! Pictures of the campus and the Hudson River are beautiful and I cannot wait to see it all in person. I definitely want to try and do all of those activities. And good food sounds good too! lol. It is a very exciting experience for me overall because I've always wanted to travel north and see NY and to top it off I get the honor of receiving an interview for a program for my dream job! We fly out Wednesday for my interview on Thursday the 24th:)

Thank you so much! This is all helpful information and I'm jotting notes down! Pictures of the campus and the Hudson River are beautiful and I cannot wait to see it all in person. I definitely want to try and do all of those activities. And good food sounds good too! lol. It is a very exciting experience for me overall because I've always wanted to travel north and see NY and to top it off I get the honor of receiving an interview for a program for my dream job! We fly out Wednesday for my interview on Thursday the 24th:)
Well, I feel like my interview went pretty well!! I guess we will find out soon enough. It was nice meeting you in person! Thank you so much for all of your help! @kdubz7w7

Well, I feel like my interview went pretty well!! I guess we will find out soon enough. It was nice meeting you in person! Thank you so much for all of your help! @kdubz7w7
Yay I am so glad to hear it! It was nice meeting you too! You were certainly the most talkative of the group :)

Yay I am so glad to hear it! It was nice meeting you too! You were certainly the most talkative of the group :)
How long do you have to confirm acceptance to the program once you got your admittance letter? I’m out of town for awhile and I was told I would have an answer in 3 weeks. But I’m worried if I was accepted to the program by mail any sooner than that while I’m away, that I would miss a deadline to accept it by.

How long do you have to confirm acceptance to the program once you got your admittance letter? I’m out of town for awhile and I was told I would have an answer in 3 weeks. But I’m worried if I was accepted to the program by mail any sooner than that while I’m away, that I would miss a deadline to accept it by.
Hmm, not sure. Dr. Fenderson is very kind and would not mind an email inquiry but if you want I can ask when I am at school today!

Hmm, not sure. Dr. Fenderson is very kind and would not mind an email inquiry but if you want I can ask when I am at school today!
I’ll send an email and ask her. Thank you so much!

Hi everyone! My name is Julie. I have been accepted into this program! Another accepted student & I have been talking & we thought we could maybe start a Facebook page for the class of 2021! If any other accepted students are interested please let me know & post a reply.

Hi everyone! My name is Julie. I have been accepted into this program! Another accepted student & I have been talking & we thought we could maybe start a Facebook page for the class of 2021! If any other accepted students are interested please let me know & post a reply.
Congratulations!!!
If you want, feel free to invite the '20 class - there are only 14 of us so we won't overwhelm your group and we can help answer any questions you guys might have, anything from housing arrangements to school supplies to whatever! Not insulted if you want to keep it to yourselves, just want to help :)

Congratulations!!!
If you want, feel free to invite the '20 class - there are only 14 of us so we won't overwhelm your group and we can help answer any questions you guys might have, anything from housing arrangements to school supplies to whatever! Not insulted if you want to keep it to yourselves, just want to help :)
Ok yes I think that would be a great idea!! I created a group on Facebook if you want to find it. Just called it "Marist DPT". If you could add your classmates that would be awesome !

Thank you so much for your help for the Marist interview. It was so nice to meet you in person. When I visited Marist, I loved the campus, faculty, and your class! Everyone was so nice and helpful. When I applied to Marist, the university in my town in Mississippi had rejected me. So, I started looking at other colleges and that's when I found Marist. I was hopeful to start there in a new exciting place and I was fascinated by Marist. Three days before my acceptance letter from Marist came in, the university in my town called me and said I was the first name on the waiting list and that there was an opening for me to join if I was still interested. So, I joined that program instead of Marist because it would be easier for my husband to work here in Mississippi and to not move away. I just wanted to say thanks again for your help and that I did get accepted and I'm sorry to say I could not join your class. I was really looking forward to it. Good luck with finishing PT school! I know you will make a great PT.

Thank you so much for your help for the Marist interview. It was so nice to meet you in person. When I visited Marist, I loved the campus, faculty, and your class! Everyone was so nice and helpful. When I applied to Marist, the university in my town in Mississippi had rejected me. So, I started looking at other colleges and that's when I found Marist. I was hopeful to start there in a new exciting place and I was fascinated by Marist. Three days before my acceptance letter from Marist came in, the university in my town called me and said I was the first name on the waiting list and that there was an opening for me to join if I was still interested. So, I joined that program instead of Marist because it would be easier for my husband to work here in Mississippi and to not move away. I just wanted to say thanks again for your help and that I did get accepted and I'm sorry to say I could not join your class. I was really looking forward to it. Good luck with finishing PT school! I know you will make a great PT.
Ah but that is so awesome! I'm so happy for you that you got accepted, by both schools! We have two students in my cohort who got accepted by local schools AFTER accepting Marist - we had already started classes so they couldn't back out. I am glad they accepted you in time, and you got to visit NY! Good luck and enjoy the adventure! Thanks for the update, I truly appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Hi kdubz7w7, I have a question for you.. do you happen to know if any of your classmates commute from a far to the program at Marist or what would be the longest commute for any of your classmates? Would you say a1 hour and 15 minute commute would be to much to commute for the program?

by the way Congrats to all that interviewed and got accepted!

Hi kdubz7w7, I have a question for you.. do you happen to know if any of your classmates commute from a far to the program at Marist or what would be the longest commute for any of your classmates? Would you say a1 hour and 15 minute commute would be to much to commute for the program?

by the way Congrats to all that interviewed and got accepted!
Sure! A few students do commute. I think we have two students doing around an hour, and a few around 30-45. We have 5 who moved here from wherever and live at Fox Run, which is walking distance to Marist. A few others moved here and live with family or a boyfriend. One guy started out commuting from I think Westchester and within two weeks said "forget this" and moved into Fox Run, I think he was driving a little over an hour.
The students commuting don't love it. It eats up a LOT of time. During exams or weirdly scheduled weeks, they often crash with some of us to cut down on the drive. It isn't ideal, but it is doable.

thank you so much for the info!! it really helps a lot!

Hey guys,

Anybody else get invited for an interview at Marist this week? Also any new tips for interviews here?

Am I seeing that correctly - $200k??

Hi guys! I'm applying to Marist right now, and their website says that they don't accept C's. :(
Unfortunately I have one C, and was wondering if they would even consider my application at all. Thanks for the help!