Market Saturation - WNY/NW PA area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kristalose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to school in this area but interviewed and accepted my first pharmacist job in the south (trying to get away from the snow). At that time there were tons of job postings and every time I applied I got an interview and every interview I went on I received an offer. I'm now wanting to move home and there are zero job postings and I can't seem to get any call backs when I submit my resume online to retail companies. One company called back only to say there weren't any jobs available but that she would keep my info on file in case of future openings and she said that market there is saturated. Is that the case for everyone? I come back 3 years later with loads more knowledge and experience and I can't find a job? If it is saturated that quickly I can only imagine how our salaries will be declining shortly. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm news to me....there are plenty of pharmacy jobs everywhere with large sign on bonuses...
are u sure you arent inquiring about tech jobs?

I went to school in this area but interviewed and accepted my first pharmacist job in the south (trying to get away from the snow). At that time there were tons of job postings and every time I applied I got an interview and every interview I went on I received an offer. I'm now wanting to move home and there are zero job postings and I can't seem to get any call backs when I submit my resume online to retail companies. One company called back only to say there weren't any jobs available but that she would keep my info on file in case of future openings and she said that market there is saturated. Is that the case for everyone? I come back 3 years later with loads more knowledge and experience and I can't find a job? If it is saturated that quickly I can only imagine how our salaries will be declining shortly. :confused:

According people around here, PA is one of the worst pharmacist markets outside of NY and southern florida.

Wait a while. I would assume early spring is always the toughest time to get jobs because of all the new grads. Positions on websites and data from pharmacy manpower suggested last year
that it got tighter in the spring at least.

How wide is your search radius? Maybe consider expanding outward 30-60 minutes and moving out there until you can wait for a city job?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck finding a job in that region. All the chains (per their intern recruitment meetings) have met their recruitment goals for the area and are hiring on an as-needed basis, mainly from their own intern pool.

PA is pretty bad for pharmacists, particularly in Pittsburgh. Two pharmacy schools in the same city (both, however, are reputable), along with LECOM only a little north, causes a great deal of saturation.

PA is pretty bad for pharmacists, particularly in Pittsburgh. Two pharmacy schools in the same city (both, however, are reputable), along with LECOM only a little north, causes a great deal of saturation.

Let's not forget PA, I believe, is proud to be known as the state with the second most Pharm schools. We're tops after CA :)

In no particular order:
Duquesne
Pitt
Wilkes
Lecom
Thomas J
USP
Temple

I'm so proud to say our state has done it's part to alleviate the severe shortage of pharmacists. I browsed some classifieds for PharmD's offering starting salary of $35 an hour. And there sure and hell wasn't any sign on bonus.

Let's not forget PA, I believe, is proud to be known as the state with the second most Pharm schools. We're tops after CA :)

In no particular order:
Duquesne
Pitt
Wilkes
Lecom
Thomas J
USP
Temple

I'm so proud to say our state has done it's part to alleviate the severe shortage of pharmacists. I browsed some classifieds for PharmD's offering starting salary of $35 an hour. And there sure and hell wasn't any sign on bonus.

Yikes ... how many of those were formed in the past 10 years?

Well, Thomas J just opened up and LECOM has been around since 2003. Not sure about Wilkes.

Yep. With the exception of Thomas J, most of the schools here are rather reputable. Pitt and Duquesne have been open forever. There are just so many of them. It's the same thing with physician assistants (I think we have 24 schools) and nurses here. And the weather sucks too :thumbdown: