Marketing to medicine? Just starting out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sarahann2185

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just starting out on this journey and looking for any advice or recommendations given my situation.

I always wanted to pursue a career in medicine (psychiatry to be specific) but had a hard time given my family situation to get loans for undergrad, which prompted me to worry about ever affording med school. Given this, I ended up switching to Marketing (seemed more practical of a degree for just a bachelors) and have been employed within the field for the last 3.5 years. I’m at the point where I’m bored and deeply regretting my decision to switch and am ready to start the long process of pursuing this dream!

My undergrad gpa is a 3.66- is this too low to even consider a future as a MD? I took a business statistics class (B-), finite mathematics (A), chemical engineering energy course (A) and an OT lab which counted as my bio elective (A). This about sums my sci/math experience up. Given that, I’m planning on attending Harvard Extension schools premed program.

Another note- I’m a mom to an (almost) one year old and blind in one eye- will schools look at this unfavorably? I’m more concerned with my vision, although this has never set me back with anything else in life. Really at this point just looking for advice on feasibility to pursue this dream given my undergrad stats and any advice in general as I work through this process! Thank you all so much!
 
GPA won't hold you back if you do well in your prereqs. The vision issue, as long as you can meet technical standards, legally can't be used against you (but sadly, some schools will, just my two cents). The general consensus with medical issues is to not divulge them as long as you have read the technical standards and can meet them (with or without reasonable accommodations).

The larger point is, don't pursue medicine because you are bored, only do it if you can't stomach the thought of doing anything else for the rest of your life.
 
GPA is fine. With respect to vision, I think ophthalmology would be out (requires 3D vision) but I think it would be okay. I think you would be wise to do some shadowing with MDs to ensure it wouldn't interfere with your ability to function in the necessary capacities.

With having a kid, that's fine. You will see the kid much less than if you didn't do medical school/residency, but lots of people do it. It will require a lot of support people (partner/family/etc)