Marriage and Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer885

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently engaged and have been now for nearly three years. I have been putting off planning the wedding because I don't know where I will be attending school and my fiance and I would like to buy a house around the time we are married. Obviously, buying a house to move a year later isn't always the best thing to do. I want to get married before med school (this summer) but don't think that is going to happen. Are there any good times during medschool to get married? I really don't want to wait until after med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's probably a better idea during the first two years, so you can actually enjoy spending time together. Plus, you'll own a house for four years instead of renting for a little while and then owning for only a couple years. Our class has probably had 5 people get married during school, and it's not a problem. More are planning on it.
I say go for some big break. Christmas works, summer works. Make sure you have time to relax after the wedding. Good luck!

I agree with the above poster but I also know that there have been 3rd and 4th years that got married (if you want to wait that long) as well. During their vacation months they took nice long breaks. But summer of 1st year might be ideal. As long as you have help to plan the wedding! :luck:

Just because you get married doesn't mean you have to buy a house. I realize that is important to you but remember the bigger picture as well. As everyone has different priorities in life, I am willing to put off the house which you might not be in for more than 4 years (during residency you might have to move). We live in a starter house which is only because it was cheaper to buy than to rent for the amount of time we plan on living here. It was more important for me to get married than the house or even the big wedding (we just went to vegas with immediate family and a few friends).

Members don't see this ad :)
I planned my wedding for the summer in between first and second year. At the time I booked the church I hadn't even gotten in yet, but I figured no matter where I was at I would likely have the summer off and I knew where I wanted to get married regardless of where I ended up. It worked out with my school schedule (even had time for a honeymoon), but that was because I took step 1 early in the summer. I hadn't thought about step 1 when I planned everything. You may want to think about how long you think you might need for studying. Christmas is another good time since you will have a break just about anywhere you go (although it is less guaranteed how long you will get during clinical rotations)

I am currently engaged and have been now for nearly three years. I have been putting off planning the wedding because I don't know where I will be attending school and my fiance and I would like to buy a house around the time we are married. Obviously, buying a house to move a year later isn't always the best thing to do. I want to get married before med school (this summer) but don't think that is going to happen. Are there any good times during medschool to get married? I really don't want to wait until after med school.

If you know he's the one you want to grow old with, just marry him! You can be just as married in an apartment as in a house. (Warning: I had quite a small white wedding, and it still took about a year to plan & execute. If you're doing anything even remotely traditional, plan ahead.)

Be careful with waiting too long (i.e., 3rd or 4th year). I did. What you don't realize now is that some of your classmates will become your best friends ("the bonds of adversity") and you will want them in/at your wedding. I had to involve the Office of Student Affairs in order to clear the schedules of a couple of my classmates to be in the wedding. We got married at the start of fourth year. I had vacation so a honeymoon was not only possible, but was good (Mackinac Island is AWESOME!), but as my friends were all on rotations we needed help to coordinate schedules to clear them from call or in house duties. That said, I involved student affairs early and they were very helpful. Things went off without a hitch!

- H

I planned my wedding for the summer in between first and second year. At the time I booked the church I hadn't even gotten in yet, but I figured no matter where I was at I would likely have the summer off and I knew where I wanted to get married regardless of where I ended up. It worked out with my school schedule (even had time for a honeymoon), but that was because I took step 1 early in the summer. I hadn't thought about step 1 when I planned everything. You may want to think about how long you think you might need for studying. Christmas is another good time since you will have a break just about anywhere you go (although it is less guaranteed how long you will get during clinical rotations)

I'm pretty sure most people take step 1 after your second year and not before. That first summer is the last summer you will have completly free, but we only had 10 weeks so I would do it kinda in the middle. We had a number of people get married that first summer, also a lot of new engagments...weddings during second year christmas or after step 1.

Right you are. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I took step 1 after second year like everyone else (totally not the same summer I got married, I must have had a little stroke earlier or I have been married too long)

Thanks everyone for the help. Now I will have to talk everything over with my fiance. I really appreciate the advice...