married or single in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys..i dont want this to turn into like a fighting forum, i was just wondering if ppl would like to share their thoughts on being married and/or being single in school. i think both could have advantages/disadvantages. if you'd like to share your thoughts...:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What ever makes you happiest

Being married is great and it helps to keep m motivated and working hard but at the samr time it is not easy. I am so busy sometimes that I come home at night and barely get to see my wife or kids. It is also a lot harder to stretch your loan money for four than it is for onw. You don't get any extra for being married or having kids. All this being said I wouldn't change a thing. I love dental school and being married is the reason I am here in the first place.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Most of my friends in medical, pharmacy, law, and dental school say that it's much easier to be married than single while in school. You have someone to go home to, talk, share, and relaxed with. It's a very stable situation and the plus is that when things get tough with exams, the laundry and cooking will be taken care of.....not to mention the bills and other life responsibilities. Is just great to have the support. My husband and I share everything at home, but when I get busy he takes care of everything. I guess it comes down to being married to someone that you love, and like to spend time with. Someone that understands that you are busy and wants to support you all the way. If not, dear God stay single until you find the right person!

You don't get any extra for being married or having kids. All this being said I wouldn't change a thing. I love dental school and being married is the reason I am here in the first place.:)

You *can* get extra loans if you have children to pay for their daycare, before & after school fees, private school, nanny, summer camp (if you have summer classes), and even to pay a family member taking care of them. You just have to get extra private loans for that.

:laugh: wat can i say...this post made me amused amidst a difficult situation in my personal life!!

I'm getting married a week before orientation. Although I'm not sure, I think that I can get better grants from FAFSA because my parent's stuff don't factor in. I need to confirm all that with my financial counselor.

I'm getting married a week before orientation. Although I'm not sure, I think that I can get better grants from FAFSA because my parent's stuff don't factor in. I need to confirm all that with my financial counselor.

Good idea to confirm.

During undergrad you wouldn't need to report parental income if you are married. However, since you'll be in professional school, parental income must be provided if you want to be considered for Economically Disadvanteaged Tuition Waiver and Health Professions Loans.

I'm a single D1, and it does look like being married would:

(1.) motivate a person to use their time more wisely (increasing the yield of your time and energy towards school)

(2.) give some stability to your life, not have the big "?" about if/when/who one will marry

(3.) help show your mate what has to be done to get to do this wonderful profession, as opposed to an overly-entitled hubby that may not appreciate what has to be done to get through this

(4.) having a mate help make you food, do laundry, would really improve the quality of life (for me anyway, recycling socks for several weeks is the norm until time opens up to do laundry -- awesome)

Think either can be great. Putting the financial issue aside, it is certainly nice to have someone to talk to/gossip with/eat with/hang out with etc. Bad days are not as bad and good days are better.

Being single is great too- gotta love the independence- can go anywhere/ talk/flirt with anyone, just do your own thing. :cool:

I loved being single and now that I am hitched, am loving that too.:D

I can't imagine being married in dental school. There are so many times that school has got to be your #1 priority that I kinda feel like it would be unfair to your spouse. "Sorry, honey, I can't talk to you for about a week because I will be spending every waking second studying for the 5 tests I have next week" "yeah, I know it's the weekend and I haven't spent any time with you this entire week but I've got to go into the simlab and play with some wax". I feel like if you weren't in dental school it would be really really hard to appreciate what a dental student was going through. I know plenty of spouses are supportive but I also know a lot of them feel a lot of stress from the situation. The student is so focused on school and they lean on the spouse to take care of everything else. It's got to be hard on them. Not like it's so easy to be single either, but it's a lot easier to tell someone you don't live with that you won't be able to spend even fifteen minutes with them for the next week or so. Bottom line dental school a really stressful time. If your relationship can make it through dental school I think you've got a good chance of making it.

My boyfriend is graduating from med school and will be starting residency when I start dental school in the fall so he understands the busy schedule....the hard part is both of us trying to find time together.