Maryland and Methadone for Pain

Started by kvl1027
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kvl1027

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another question for MD pharmacists. I'm applying for reciprocal licensure to MD and my exam is tomorrow. I just want to be clear on this issue if someone can provide some guidance. Sometimes I feel like practicing in FL for almost 5 years makes it more difficult to grasp practice vs law issues.

Anyway, so in CR Sec. 5-502 regarding the dispensing of Methadone by a pharmacist, it makes no distinguishing remarks related to the dispensing of methadone for pain. IT basically just says that RPhs cannot dispense methadone.

This is the practice vs. law debate. The MPHA review book says that you can dispense for an rx written for pain, but to be careful and limit this practice. I just need to know, is it against the law? It would seem to be either way. CR Sec does not have any language that differentiates between dispensing for abuse treatment vs. pain.
 
Are you sure that law is pertaining to pharmacists? It refers to "provider" which we are not federally. Are pharmacists providers in MD?

Edit: no idea how that strike through happened. Can't fix on iPhone.
 
Are you sure that law is pertaining to pharmacists? It refers to "provider" which we are not federally. Are pharmacists providers in MD?

Edit: no idea how that strike through happened. Can't fix on iPhone.
I see that now, it does say authorized provider. Thanks for the clarity!