Maryland school of dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilana111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I saw on Maryland's site that getting a secondary means moving on in the admissions process. my friends got it and heard back with an interview within a few days. I also saw this pattern on SDN. I sent my secondary in 2 weeks ago and I havnt heard back yet. Is that a bad sign? does that mean im not getting an interview? Has anyone had this experience and got an interview??

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary on October 2nd, and haven't heard a peep other than confirmation that they received it. Other applicants have the same experience, and I don't think anyones received interviews from around the same time I submitted my secondary.

I think this means we'll receive interviews post-december?

I submitted on October 2nd as well and haven't heard anything back. I received the supplement like 2 weeks before that but I put it off because I was busy with other things. Hopefully, it's not something I'll regret.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the difference whether its a pre- dec or post dec. interview?

Ideally because everyone wants to be accepted somewhere (or have the possibility to) on December 2nd, no one wants to wait any longer than they have to haha.

Not only that, it gets crazy competitive later on because it becomes admissions on a rolling basis.

On december 2nd, all schools send out their admission offers to candidates who had pre-dec interviews. Many invites go out (more than the class size, I believe), and of course students will be quick to jump on them. Within 2 weeks, the number of seats available goes from 90 to 20 (just an example). Now you have everybody with post-dec interviews competing for those 20 seats, as opposed to everybody with pre-dec invites competing for the 90.

Not only that, it gets crazy competitive later on because it becomes admissions on a rolling basis.

Yep, yep.

On december 2nd, all schools send out their admission offers to candidates who had pre-dec interviews. Many invites go out (more than the class size, I believe), and of course students will be quick to jump on them. Within 2 weeks, the number of seats available goes from 90 to 20 (just an example). Now you have everybody with post-dec interviews competing for those 20 seats, as opposed to everybody with pre-dec invites competing for the 90.

A little extreme, but yes, I believe they try and fill up about half the seats then.

Since the first offers are made on Dec. 2nd, you want to interview before then to be "eligible" for the maximum number of spots. Of course you still have a good chance of getting accepted if you interview after Dec. 2nd, but in this case you are essentially interviewing for fewer spots (say 50 instead of 100). These numbers are arbitrary and things don't work quite as simply as that, but that is the main theory behind pre and post December interviews.

does anyone know anyone from previous years who got an interview from Maryland monthes after submitting supplemental?