Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maryland students, please be honest.

Do you really think the new building will be ready for the fall of 2006 as they told us during our interviews?? I didn't get the feeling that the administration was too confident in that date. And I've heard that they've been saying that it'll be open for the next year's class for a few years now!

What is the old building really like? We really didn't get a good tour of it and if I'm going to end up using the old building, I'd like to know what I'm in for before accepting their offer.

Overall, how happy are you with Maryland? I'm having the hardest time deciding on schools and so any input would be great!

:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

La Miraflorina said:

Do you really think the new building will be ready for the fall of 2006 as they told us during our interviews?? I didn't get the feeling that the administration was too confident in that date. And I've heard that they've been saying that it'll be open for the next year's class for a few years now!

What is the old building really like? We really didn't get a good tour of it and if I'm going to end up using the old building, I'd like to know what I'm in for before accepting their offer.

Overall, how happy are you with Maryland? I'm having the hardest time deciding on schools and so any input would be great!

Hi,
Like everything involving any construction, the builders (and weather) usually have the last word. I'm sure the new building will be open next year, sometime before August I'm told. It's supposed to have state of the art equipment etc so if you're into technology n' stuff you'd be impressed. About Maryland in general, I've really enjoyed my time here and one thing I'm grateful for is the rapport between the students and administration. Unlike other schools where their education is more like a dictatorship, we have a significant amount of input in our education.

It's eventually up to you and you'll get that DDS/DMD wherever you go.

La Miraflorina said:

I think the school will definitely be ready by the time you all start in August. I've actually been amazed how quickly things have gone up in the last year. Even if the building isn't ready by August, it will definitely be finished by the time the Class of 2010 goes down to clinic for their 3rd year.

As for how I'm enjoying my time at MD right now, I am 100% satisfied with my time here. I've definitely learned a crapload and have had some good times along the way. Goin off to surgery in 6 months :eek: :eek: . Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
We've been told over and over that the official move-in date is this summer, and there's even a note on our schedule over the summer where the classrooms become uncertain because of the move-in date to the new building. The only thing I've heard is that the move is definitely this summer, and we'll be fully in gear by the time you guys get here. It looks to be official. I guess anything could happen, though, so who knows. It definitely looks like they're close to putting the final touches on it, though.

I'm only a measly first year, but so far, I've loved my experience here. The faculty definitely works with us, especially since they're revamping the curriculum (they've moved at least 5-6 tests back so that we could have a better study schedule). Dean Stohler is very progressive. Another big bonus is that we'll now be taking the boards after first year, which is when we take all the classes that are on the test anyways (they pushed patho into first year so that we could do this). Another bonus is Tuesday and Thursday afternoons off during first year, and Friday afternoons off during second year. There are lots of e-lectures where we don't have class but instead study powerpoints created by the teachers (which are usually crammed with more info than a one-hour class, but oh well), which is nice if you prefer that style of learning.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Typo said:
Another bonus is Tuesday and Thursday afternoons off during first year, and Friday afternoons off during second year.

Are those "official" short days, or is Typo playing hookie?

JavadiCavity said:
Are those "official" short days, or is Typo playing hookie?
LOL - if you counted my hookie days, it'd be down to 3 days in school. I'm not kidding. ;) But I'm a reformed man now, hopefully.