Mass casualty training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noisewater-TDX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your school do any formal mass casualty training? I know here at LU we have the option to go to a mock events, but is there really any good way to prepare for something like what happened in Las Vegas last night?

I've only every been in the ER as a nurse with a "mass event" where we had 6 traumas... how does a medical system absorb 500+ injured patients? It's mind boggling to figure out the medical logistics of such a horrible event.

Members don't see this ad.

No formal training. I did a short lecture for the EM and Wilderness Med Clubs at my school. We worked as part of the local response committee for 2 large drills- designed the patient load, injuries, etc. and served as Observer/Controllers. The only place I can think of to get that kind of training is the Center for Domestic Preparedness in Anniston, AL. I know EMS/Fire/Natl. Disaster Medical System personnel can attend for free with lodging and meals included, hospital personnel might be able to as well.

Reactions: 1 user
We had a 2-hr lecture on it during orientation on how to deal with an active shooter. Everyone in the class participated in a 'takedown' of an actor posing as an active shooter. This is a uniquely American problem. I'm glad our school takes it seriously, but its ridiculous that we have to worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We had a 2-hr lecture on it during orientation on how to deal with an active shooter. Everyone in the class participated in a 'takedown' of an actor posing as an active shooter. This is a uniquely American problem. I'm glad our school takes it seriously, but its ridiculous that we have to worry about it.

They trained you to attack the shooter?!

I was wondering the same.

We are taught to shelter/barricade and if need be, fight.

They trained you to attack the shooter?!

Sorry, let me clarify--yes you should fight, given a situation where you cannot run or hide. If you can do either of those, that is the priority. However, there is a certain logic to attacking a shooter. When these things happen in open spaces, everyone runs and these people can get away with so much damage because they encounter no resistance. They really got into detail about it with us. But essentially, if you are faced with a situation where you are cornered, you should devise a plan to overcome the shooter. You should never use this principle against someone you know does not want to kill you (i.e. a robber). But if some dude comes into an open space with an AK-47 and you are cornered, you have to be mentally prepared for it--at least that was the idea.

A lot of classmates thought it was insane that we spent so much time on the issue. I guess it is insane that we have to worry about it at all, but I come from a police family and studied martial arts so it's a mentality I'm used to.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree about it being uniquely American. But it would be an American thing to not pay attention to the rest of the world and claim things only happen here. :p
I was wondering the same.

We are taught to shelter/barricade and if need be, fight.
Yeah its the standard active shooter protocol. Run, hide, fight. Honestly its all dumb. If an active shooter event happens, your pretty much in trouble at school. They will be the only one with a gun. Its like my father always said, 'when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.'

I disagree about it being uniquely American. But it would be an American thing to not pay attention to the rest of the world and claim things only happen here. :p
Well, its unique to first world countries! Europeans think we are crazy for clinging to gun rights.

Yeah its the standard active shooter protocol. Run, hide, fight. Honestly its all dumb. If an active shooter event happens, your pretty much in trouble at school. They will be the only one with a gun. Its like my father always said, 'when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.'

I go to a school with a concealed carry policy. A lot of graduate students carry (have to be over 21) and some of the professors. This is good and bad, there are going to be a crap load of people holding guns if something goes down and when the police arrive some innocent CCW holder is going to get shot. But, on the upside, we aren't a soft target.

Reactions: 1 user
had a lot of emphasis on triage and emergency treatment but nothing good enough. definitely nothing to handle this scale of event. we had a few demos but at the most we had 20 or so people. so basically, no.

I go to a school with a concealed carry policy. A lot of graduate students carry (have to be over 21) and some of the professors. This is good and bad, there are going to be a crap load of people holding guns if something goes down and when the police arrive some innocent CCW holder is going to get shot. But, on the upside, we aren't a soft target.
Tell this to a European and they would not comprehend it. America is weird in thinking guns=freedom. Not that I am taking a side on the issue, its just that we really are the exception on this platform.

Reactions: 1 users