Mass General Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msa786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So how come I never hear about the residency at Mass General-a top notch hospital. Anyone know what they look for here and what is the quality of this program like?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know that one existed. It may be fairly new. It appears to be only a PM&S-24 which may explain why many steer away and you don't hear much about it. I would be interested to hear more about it though because that is a renowned hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know that one existed. It may be fairly new. It appears to be only a PM&S-24 which may explain why many steer away and you don't hear much about it. I would be interested to hear more about it though because that is a renowned hospital.

Mass Gen was a very sought after program when I was coming up. I think it's been around as long as I can remember really. I don't know anything about it now, but back in the day, it was one of the "hot" programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually, the program is a PM&S-36 program.

If I remember correctly, Mass Gen Hospital has a "museum" of sorts with relics from when "Surgery" was in its infancy and has old time Anesthetics machines that they used to use for "General Anesthesia". It also has one of the few remaining relics of a "public" operating room, where physicians would learn the art of surgery in a classroom type setting when "real" surgery was being performed on real patients. It was very interesting when i visited there long ago.

I've heard: Podiatry is under orthopedics at MGH. I know several students who either were flat out denied a chance to visit or given the run-around from residents in years past. The last two residents accepted were Temple graduates. The current R1 is a very nice, smart, attractive, outgoing female and the incoming R1 is a somewhat independent, non-assuming (according to his classmates) academic male. Neither were at the "top" of their class.

I've heard: Podiatry is under orthopedics at MGH. I know several students who either were flat out denied a chance to visit or given the run-around from residents in years past. The last two residents accepted were Temple graduates. The current R1 is a very nice, smart, attractive, outgoing female and the incoming R1 is a somewhat independent, non-assuming (according to his classmates) academic male. Neither were at the "top" of their class.
how attractive are we talking here?

Interesting how DPM's aren't listed under the "Foot and Ankle" link like the MD's, yet they have the DPM's under the same "Orthopedic Surgery" department heading. I was told MA had ankle scope, but after some investigation that doesn't seem to be correct.

If you look under the "patient information" for podiatry is stays "The service emphasizes a continuum of foot care with attention to quality, cost efficiency, high clinical volume and state-of -the-art treatment."

Whereas under the same heading for foot and ankle MD's, "...the service has experienced exceptional clinical growth in the past few years and continues to be at the forefront for treating cartilage injuries to the ankle and foot...has a close working relationship with Podiatry" The bold portion sounds a lot like MD's saying "we're separate and not-equal, but we choose to play nice in the sandbox."

After some research and reading the MA Orthopedic Association's stance on limiting the scope of MA podiatrists, I'm curious as to the actual strength of this program.