Mass Killing Theater

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just don't get it. Going to a movie theater and killing adults and KIDS the way this murderer did. I just don't know what possesses someone to act this way and then just give himself up like its all good.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16817842

If u read that link (unless it's updated) ull see that his mother heard the news and PRIOR to being contacted by cops was worried about this being her son. WHY PRECISELY??? what did he tell her? Show her? Why didn't she open her mouth PRIOR?

I had just told my father that I was thinking about getting CCW in Colorado. He actually has that Ruger LCP as a personal weapon (that Blade posted) so I'm going to shoot it and see if it'll be good for me. not that that is the solution to all the potential problems in the world. But I would have wanted it in that theater.

This is horrific.

Why so many of these in the US? I thought we "lead" in this area. WHY?

It's in times like this that I wish the US were more like Egypt or Iraq might be more accurate, where we hang and stone and best F ERS like this. I would give every family
Member a chance to kill this man. In a line. One by one. Until he was dead. He needs to feel PAIN. parents of any kids killed are allowed an ice pick in my version. With targets pasted above eyeballs that say "aim here." that's how I feel about this.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

It's in times like this that I wish the US were more like Egypt or Iraq might be more accurate, where we hang and stone and best F ERS like this. I would give every family
Member a chance to kill this man. In a line. One by one. Until he was dead. He needs to feel PAIN. parents of any kids killed are allowed an ice pick in my version. With targets pasted above eyeballs that say "aim here." that's how I feel about this.

theres no deterrent for crazy.

I don't think we should adopt the brutality of ancient middle-eastern nations for anyone here; there's a reason we call this the civilized world.

This sicko should be prosecuted and punished to the full extent of the law.

It doesn't sound like much consolation to the families of the deceased, but nor would allowing them to pull the trigger on him.

This man will rot.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh boy. AP is reporting that the guy was a med student who dropped out last month

Yeah. The Today show just reported that he was a grad student in the neuroscience program there.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

LCP would have been useless in this situation.

Any CCW'er would've had difficulty intervening. That many people, so close together, the chaos of them running around, general darkness compounded by flashing bright lights on the movie screen ... its the worst possible circumstance for shooting a small moving target dressed in black. You've really got to worry about hitting a bystander, which is inexcusable under any circumstance. Especially with an LCP, which is hard to hit stuff with under the best conditions and short range.

News reports say the guy had at least one rifle (of an AK type, not that the media ever screws that up) and wore body armor, so any law abiding carrier of a handgun would be at further disadvantage there. This wasn't a guy in an office with a handgun, or a couple thugs with knives and a baseball bat; it was the North Hollywood shootout in a movie theater, minus cops.

Even so, better armed (even with an LCP) than totally helpless.

Any CCW'er would've had difficulty intervening. That many people, so close together, the chaos of them running around, general darkness compounded by flashing bright lights on the movie screen ... its the worst possible circumstance for shooting a small moving target dressed in black. You've really got to worry about hitting a bystander, which is inexcusable under any circumstance. Especially with an LCP, which is hard to hit stuff with under the best conditions and short range.

News reports say the guy had at least one rifle (of an AK type, not that the media ever screws that up) and wore body armor, so any law abiding carrier of a handgun would be at further disadvantage there. This wasn't a guy in an office with a handgun, or a couple thugs with knives and a baseball bat; it was the North Hollywood shootout in a movie theater, minus cops.

Even so, better armed (even with an LCP) than totally helpless.

Apparently the shooter dropped out of a graduate neuroscience program school last month. Wow! What is it with all these crazy students?

Of course it would be hard to get
This guy with an LCP. or a glock.
.357 or whatever. Point is, at least there's a defense.
The LAST thing he was expecting were shots fired back.
From any angle. Front behind. his armor would have protected him,
But it still doesnt feel good to get hit by a bullet. All it would have taken
To change this situation (maybe save a life or 3) was an off duty cop
Carrying a 9mm who is a good shot. But that's history.

Now we will find out how he got these weapons and MAYBE
What possessed this prick. Med school dropout? Just Great.
I want the moms story too.

I gotta see if Colorado has death penalty.

D712

Return fire would more likely hit a bystander than the shooter. In this situation, you probably would be better with a 4" blade. LCP, J frame, all the popular CCW guns don't have good sights. Unfortunately, to stop this guy you would probably have to brain him which in this situation would be impossible. Neuroscience grad student probably bought these guns legally... Off duty cop with a 9mm would have been in a tough situation.

This is a horrible tragedy and I am really saddened by it. I can't imagine what those people went through and what the victims' families are going through. Unimaginable.

That being said, I am a little shocked that everyone on SDN is pretty much asking for a kill squad. OP, you want to be more like countries where civil liberties are greatly infringed? There's a reason why violence erupts over there all the time.

This kid Holmes was probably screwed up in the head and maybe the result of the bullying culture that exists in the US. I am absolutely not defending what he did. We all make choices and he made his, which was an awful one. But taking an eye-for-eye and immediately calling for him to essentially be tortured is not the answer. Violence begets violence.

I'm also not against the right to bear arms. One should have the right to defend oneself, especially in your own home. But, he shouldn't have been able to come by all the gear he had, better gun -- and apparently assault gear -- protection is needed.

This is a horrible tragedy and I am really saddened by it. I can't imagine what those people went through and what the victims' families are going through. Unimaginable.

That being said, I am a little shocked that everyone on SDN is pretty much asking for a kill squad. OP, you want to be more like countries where civil liberties are greatly infringed? There's a reason why violence erupts over there all the time.

This kid Holmes was probably screwed up in the head and maybe the result of the bullying culture that exists in the US. I am absolutely not defending what he did. We all make choices and he made his, which was an awful one. But taking an eye-for-eye and immediately calling for him to essentially be tortured is not the answer. Violence begets violence.

I'm also not against the right to bear arms. One should have the right to defend oneself, especially in your own home. But, he shouldn't have been able to come by all the gear he had, better gun -- and apparently assault gear -- protection is needed.

Gmoneytalks,
Did u just frigging excuse this guy because he was BULLIED!?!?!??
maybe. That's your excuse!??? Are u out of your mind? How old are u?
U realize u JUSTIFIED HIS ACTIONS!?!?! FUNNY how every bullied kid, let alone .000000000001% of them, don't walk into midnight movies and SHOOT KIDS in the face. So I'm wrong for wanting him stoned, but he has a justifiable reason for killing people!?!?
Listen, I was 21 too once, wake up and smell the reality. Mental INSANITY is not a morally
Justifiable reason to kill kids. It's a legal conceit. This is inexcusable. And yes, I'm not looking to turn the US into Iraq but I would LOVE to see him stoned and ice picked to death.
Bleeding heart liberal defend the shooter argument.
Un. Frigging. Real. Have a kid. You'll get where im coming from one day. My guess is you're still a kid. Bullying. Christ.
D712
Ps your pal the gunman made a decision, when he geared up and turned a movie theater Into denang, and shoot kids in the face, that his civil liberties were up ****s creek.
Wow. Dont even reply. It'll be 3 decades before u get what I'm saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now we will find out how he got these weapons

It doesn't matter.

Off duty cop with a 9mm would have been in a tough situation.

Absolutely. Tougher than the on-duty cops who responded to the North Hollywood shooters.

Sometimes the *******s win.

I am a little shocked that everyone on SDN is pretty much asking for a kill squad.

Who's everybody?

I'm also not against the right to bear arms. One should have the right to defend oneself, especially in your own home.

A right to self-defense that doesn't extend beyond your own home is not a right at all.

But, he shouldn't have been able to come by all the gear he had, better gun -- and apparently assault gear -- protection is needed.

Can you rewrite this sentence so it makes sense? I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean.

...I am a little shocked that everyone on SDN is pretty much asking for a kill squad.

Um yeah, not everybody.

I believe constitutional protections extend to dirtbags and a&&hats as well as the good and decent. These protections include (within the limits of the constitution) the right to bear arms, the right to write whatever you want into the script of a TV show, the right to a fair trial, and protection from cruel and unusual punishment. These are the things that make us American and differentiate us from ßhithole countries where none of us would want to live.

The cost of freedom is not only paid by soldiers in foreign lands. The freedom to live is also the freedom to fück up, and sometimes the price is paid by the innocent. This is why we allow individuals to drive 4000 pound missiles at 75 mph, even though we know that this freedom will cost us a certain number of innocent lives.

The negligent, irresponsible, and criminal must be held responsible, but it must be within the bounds of law.

- pod

Gmoneytalks,
Did u just frigging excuse this guy because he was BULLIED!?!?!??
maybe. That's your excuse!??? Are u out of your mind? How old are u?
U realize u JUSTIFIED HIS ACTIONS!?!?! FUNNY how every bullied kid, let alone .000000000001% of them, don't walk into midnight movies and SHOOT KIDS in the face. So I'm wrong for wanting him stoned, but he has a justifiable reason for killing people!?!?
Listen, I was 21 too once, wake up and smell the reality. Mental INSANITY is not a morally
Justifiable reason to kill kids. It's a legal conceit. This is inexcusable. And yes, I'm not looking to turn the US into Iraq but I would LOVE to see him stoned and ice picked to death.
Bleeding heart liberal defend the shooter argument.
Un. Frigging. Real. Have a kid. You'll get where im coming from one day. My guess is you're still a kid. Bullying. Christ.
D712
Ps your pal the gunman made a decision, when he geared up and turned a movie theater Into denang, and shoot kids in the face, that his civil liberties were up ****s creek.
Wow. Dont even reply. It'll be 3 decades before u get what I'm saying.
Sorry, I should've known this would cause a flame war. I'm 30 by the way and married. Is there a reason why we can't just have a conversation about this? In what part of what I said did I forgive this guy of what he did? All I'm saying is responding in kind isn't the solution. I suppose you'll be the one to cast the first stone.

I know this is an online forum so you feel justified to essentially attack everything about me because we're separated across the internet, but you shouldn't, especially if you're 50. You should think before you write.

It doesn't matter.

Absolutely. Tougher than the on-duty cops who responded to the North Hollywood shooters.

Sometimes the *******s win.

Who's everybody?

A right to self-defense that doesn't extend beyond your own home is not a right at all.

Can you rewrite this sentence so it makes sense? I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean.
pgg,

Sorry, I shouldn't have lumped in everybody together. I had seen several threads with this same theme and I chose to respond to this one. I know not everyone feels a certain way.

I agree with you on the self-defense thing. I wrote it that way to make the statement more palatable to more people -- so that this discussion wouldn't get too heated...

I was pretty much just arguing for more control of guns and in this case, riot gear. Allowing a one person, especially a young male, to buy all that stuff isn't responsible.

Thanks for your response.

Um yeah, not everybody.

I believe constitutional protections extend to dirtbags and a&&hats as well as the good and decent. These protections include (within the limits of the constitution) the right to bear arms, the right to write whatever you want into the script of a TV show, the right to a fair trial, and protection from cruel and unusual punishment. These are the things that make us American and differentiate us from ßhithole countries where none of us would want to live.

The cost of freedom is not only paid by soldiers in foreign lands. The freedom to live is also the freedom to fück up, and sometimes the price is paid by the innocent. This is why we allow individuals to drive 4000 pound missiles at 75 mph, even though we know that this freedom will cost us a certain number of innocent lives.

The negligent, irresponsible, and criminal must be held responsible, but it must be within the bounds of law.

- pod
Sorry to you too, I shouldn't have lumped everyone in.

Sorry, I should've known this would cause a flame war. I'm 30 by the way and married. Is there a reason why we can't just have a conversation about this? In what part of what I said did I forgive this guy of what he did? All I'm saying is responding in kind isn't the solution. I suppose you'll be the one to cast the first stone.

I know this is an online forum so you feel justified to essentially attack everything about me because we're separated across the internet, but you shouldn't, especially if you're 50. You should think before you write.

You never forgave him. You immediately came to his defense and gave a possible justification for what he did. Big difference, yes? Yes.

Not exactly the knee-jerk reaction I would imagine.

No flame wars. Just calling it like i see it. :thumb up:

D712

- pod

Agreed, let's be a law abiding country. I'd like to modify the law to be changed when someone is a 1) mass murderer 2) the crime involves an innocent child.

I would like the law to involve a torturous, painful and excruciating public death for the killer. I would enlist parents of any victims to help me lobby for this change. America needs to loosen up a bit. Show some T&A on television, boobs aren't gonna kill people. Curse on TV and movies. Legalize weed. Take the sticks out of our asses. AND, kill people publicly that are mass/child murderers.

That's my stance. All for punishing legally. Let's just change "LEGALLY."

For the people that wanna die by cop, not a deterrent. But for this dude who might be "so, i'll live in jail, screw it," let's let them know EXACTLY what they are going to face if they do something like this. Can't possibly COST any more lives...

D712

You never forgave him. You immediately came to his defense and gave a possible justification for what he did. Big difference, yes? Yes.

Not exactly the knee-jerk reaction I would imagine.

No flame wars. Just calling it like i see it. :thumb up:

D712
Fair enough. Though I will say that I gave a possible cause for what he did, not a justification. And I would also disagree that I'm defending him. I appreciate your response.

Sorry for attacking you personally.

D712

note: just watched the news conf, Chief of Aurora Police said suspect had AR-15, two .40 cal Glocks on his person and shotgun. Can't say what he used inside the theater. His house has incendiary devices in it, bombs, etc.

D712

America.. where it is ok to watch fictionalized accounts of people being sadistically tortured and brutalized, but it is a scandal of historic proportions when Janet Jackson's breast gets exposed for a nano-second.

However, I vehemently disagree that we should debase ourselves to the level of the cretins who torture and kill in the name of the lord or in the name of the law.

- pod

I was pretty much just arguing for more control of guns and in this case, riot gear. Allowing a one person, especially a young male, to buy all that stuff isn't responsible.

I would like the law to involve a torturous, painful and excruciating public death for the killer.

Yeah, who needs the 2nd and 8th Amendments, they're not that important.

Edit -

Sorry, that's more argumentative and trollish than I usually like to be.

1) The problem here isn't a lack of gun control, though I'm not sure I have the energy to rehash that debate today.

2) The anger and outrage d712 justifiably feels over this ****bag doesn't justify resorting to cruelty.

News reports say the guy had at least one rifle (of an AK type, not that the media ever screws that up)

From CNN:

AR15 assault rifle: A rifle that commonly fires bullets .223 millimeters in diameter. [...] Ammunition magazines for the AR-15 commonly hold five to 15 rounds.

Fine reporting there.

Where can I get one of these .223 mm ARs? I bet a bullet of that size goes more than 6000 FPS out of a typical AR sized cartridge.

-pod

Yeah, who needs the 2nd and 8th Amendments, they're not that important.

Edit -

Sorry, that's more argumentative and trollish than I usually like to be.

1) The problem here isn't a lack of gun control, though I'm not sure I have the energy to rehash that debate today.

2) The anger and outrage d712 justifiably feels over this ****bag doesn't justify resorting to cruelty.

# 2) that's a matter of opinion and I respect yours. Normally I'm not usually against civil liberties. I think everyone should have their day in court.
I just think we should modify punishment that's all. Lets take it to the ultimate, the Death penalty. SCOTUS says its not cruel and unusual punishment. DEATH.
So the argument exists that stoning this FKER is less cruel.
I'm here to make that argument for the parents of the dead 6 year old who may feel differently before bed tonight.

Pgg: are u anti death penalty? I'm 50/50. It's ok if it's in a quiet room with vec and K. only in America.
D712

According to the news it looks like all the guns were purchased legally. How nice. And also looks like he was specifically looking for guns that could take out a lot of people.

Anyone think a knife/macheti/club or any handheld weapon would have done as much damage? I know I am in the minority here, so go ahead, and bring it on. Tell me that more stringent gun control does not need to happen in this country. Of course it's likely too late in this country.

Not gonna get into a heated debate though, because I know I will be standing alone in this gun loving crowd.

Don't know about PGG, but I am staunchly anti.

I assume you're referring to the death penalty.

I oppose it.

According to the news it looks like all the guns were purchased legally. How nice. And also looks like he was specifically looking for guns that could take out a lot of people.

As opposed to guns that don't hurt people?

Seriously, you're learning the wrong lesson here. The fact that the guns were obtained legally, despite the steady march of increasingly tight and arbitrarily restrictive gun laws that have been passed in this country over the last ~80 years, is compelling and convincing evidence that gun laws don't work.

Anyone think a knife/macheti/club or any handheld weapon would have done as much damage? I know I am in the minority here, so go ahead, and bring it on.

Do you really, really believe that strict gun control could've prevented this person from obtaining those weapons? We're talking about a smart person (neuroscience PhD candidate). Gainfully employed. This was a patient and premeditated act. He wrapped himself in body armor. You really think he couldn't have armed himself with more than a club, if only the Brady clan had their way?

Tell me that more stringent gun control does not need to happen in this country. Of course it's likely too late in this country.

It doesn't need to happen. Of course, it won't stop opportunistic scumbag politicians from attempting to exploit this tragedy. They always do. It didn't take long this time, either:

SenLee.png

Not gonna get into a heated debate though, because I know I will be standing alone in this gun loving crowd.

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that the reason you lose this argument, over and over again, is because you're wrong.

And this is classic ...

I know I am in the minority here, so go ahead, and bring it on.

So, do you want to discuss it, or not?

Gun control only prevents legal and responsible Americans from buying firearms. Criminals and the criminally insane will still find access to weapons and evoke carnage on whatever they please.

Where can I get one of these .223 mm ARs? I bet a bullet of that size goes more than 6000 FPS out of a typical AR sized cartridge.

-pod

hahahaha

i gotcha, pod, even if nobody else does

a bullet like that probably wouldn't hurt

I just don't get it. Going to a movie theater and killing adults and KIDS the way this murderer did. I just don't know what possesses someone to act this way and then just give himself up like its all good.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16817842

If u read that link (unless it's updated) ull see that his mother heard the news and PRIOR to being contacted by cops was worried about this being her son. WHY PRECISELY??? what did he tell her? Show her? Why didn't she open her mouth PRIOR?

I had just told my father that I was thinking about getting CCW in Colorado. He actually has that Ruger LCP as a personal weapon (that Blade posted) so I'm going to shoot it and see if it'll be good for me. not that that is the solution to all the potential problems in the world. But I would have wanted it in that theater.

This is horrific.

Why so many of these in the US? I thought we "lead" in this area. WHY?

D712

Crazy sh.t happens in every society. This situation is what it is.

That being said, I do think people are starting to lose it for any number of reasons.

Seriously, you're learning the wrong lesson here. The fact that the guns were obtained legally, despite the steady march of increasingly tight and arbitrarily restrictive gun laws that have been passed in this country over the last ~80 years, is compelling and convincing evidence that gun laws don't work.
Hey PGG, to continue the discussion, and I still have to process my thoughts on this, and I am curious to further the discussion and keep an open mind, your logic seems to state that a) since 80 years of legislation haven't stopped every shooting, then why legislate further? AS OPPOSED to legislating more wisely, or appropriately? In other words, "We give up?" Please clarify.

I understand that guns are out there - in CRAZY numbers, but is there NOTHING we can do? Can we turn every state into NYC? Require a colonoscopy for each and every bullet purchase? LEGAL ONLINE gas mask purchase? LEGAL ONLINE purchase of 100 round drum for an AR purchase (these were the methods our killer used btw).

WHAT IF (every good story starts off with a what if, yes?) gun manufacturers were required to stop producing and selling 100 drum clips except to the US MILITARY.

Would that piss off the constitutionalists?

Is pissing off the constructionists worse than reducing 100 drum clips in the US by .05%? 5%? 50%?

Does this boil down to people wanting to "keep the peace" and cruise along with the "status quo" and kow-tow to the GUN LOBBY so they GET ELECTED FOR ANOTHER TERM?

The bottom line is this, gun control isn't going to prevent EVERY KILLING, but a BETTER FORM OF CONTROL (perhaps less gun production for staters - oh boo hoo gun and gas mask makers) would be a start? No? Who knows where that would lead in 20 years?

This is what is being said here: we, the US citizens, have bigger fish to fry than gun control. We don't wanna tackle it. We don't wanna go there. It's like plane bombings. In 1950, would you EVER have predicted the X-ray body scanners that happened AFTER 9/11? So, my thought is, the nut jobs will find a way to get their guns, just make it really really really really really really hard for them to get what they want. ESPECIALLY if it's something out of the ordinary (100 round clips, 6000 round purchases LEGALLY website within 30 days).

I mean, hell, we can regulate EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING, from booze to cigarettes, this dude could ABSOLUTELY have been limited to 50 bullets....if the citizenry would care to fry this fish right now.

It's the SAME RIGHT WING MENTALITY (GIMME my GUNS OR GIMME DEATH) that I hear with the religious right (BAN GAYS FROM BOY SCOUTS) or no anal allowed in Georgia because it's not in the frigging US CONSTITUTION. Everyone is living the 1787 dream and I think it's time to focus on priorities here.

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE THE ARGUMENT THAT "well, they have 100 guns in every house in sweden," so ya know, it's not the amount of guns.... Yeah, well, Sweden ain't America. Sweden isn't NYC, it's not Colorado, Miami, or LA. It's Sweden. Different values, different people, different upbringings, culture altogether. This is the US. And we are diseased.

Do you really, really believe that strict gun control could've prevented this person from obtaining those weapons? We're talking about a smart person (neuroscience PhD candidate). Gainfully employed. This was a patient and premeditated act. He wrapped himself in body armor. You really think he couldn't have armed himself with more than a club, if only the Brady clan had their way?
Pgg, Please stop labeling gun control in a generic term. It's like labeling anesthesia as one term. There are 1000 ways to skin an AS/COPD/s/p 12 stent cat. Some ways better than others I WOULD IMAGINE :roll eyes: , there are probably gun control methods that are better, worse, COMPLETELY USELESS and otherwise somewhat helpful. Let's get our heads out of the sand and march forward.

For example, I think that, per the 2nd amendment, I have the right to buy and keep a gun. Do you really, really, believe that a) the framers wanted you to be able to buy a 100 round drum, for an auto weapon, in order to carry armor piercing bullets? To me, that's ludicrous. If only because a) they didn't explicitly say so, so, ya know, interpretation. And secondly, it's 2012, time to get with the times. If Holmes wanted to buy a Glock, I'd say, ok, he got his Glock. Should he have easy access to a drum and gas mask? I think not. I mean, literally, lock that **** DOWN like Uranium. Oh, boo too GUN LOBBY, and Constitutionalists that wouldn't know Madison if the dude walked up to them. Get your Glock or .357, an automatic Uzi. No.

You ask, indignantly, would it really really really help... well, lemme ask you this, would he have shot 70 people as effectively WITHOUT a 100 round drum? With only pistols? With only a rifle (not sure if that AR was semi or full auto), but point being, you know my point. As a scientist, you know the answer. You cannot do the damage he did with 6 shot revolvers that need to be reloaded after 6, or a Glock. That Shotgun and AR did most of the damage, I guarantee the ****ER didn't start shooting with the GLOCK. Come on.

Oh yeah, 2nd amendment, gotta respect that. Yep. Let's let the LOBBY (said with the same disdain you have for the "brady clan" (made up of how many Sec Service Agents that were putting themselves in the line of fire as you did as a Naval Guy) essentially make these decisions for us. Lets not punish 298 million americans for the actions of 1 dude. Let's just keep manufacturing and importing and selling online the INSANE OVERKILL WEAPONRY that allow a dude to do this LEGALLY, OVER THE WEB, as swiftly as he was able to. I can wield a Glock at 5 people. But a Glock at 150 in a theater... food for thought PGG.

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that the reason you lose this argument, over and over again, is because you're wrong.
It's sick and it is a tragic event, we agree on that. New thought: ban 100 drum AR mags and machine guns from the US like they are crack cocaine, Plutonium, or Kryptonite. Lemme ask you this: 1) will banning INCREASE VIOLENCE? I assume no. Then 2) Why not do it? (if you even go near the constitution regarding a 100 round drum or AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUN, I'm reallllllly going to take issue with that line or arguing. SO, why NOT do it. Let S&W sell the guns I want for home protection. Let's take the REALLY bad stuff for mass killings off the markets, cease production, piss off Glock and whoever it is that sells Gas Masks and Flashbangs on the WEB.
If getting a joint is easy, for me or you, let's make this tantamount to buying CRACK in front of a POLICE STATION.

I'll HAPPILY give up that "freedom." Lock me down. And if the result is people going ape**** with Glocks AT LEAST it's not APE**** with 100 ROUnd DRUMS of AR-15 BULLETS.

Is it easy for a Muslim to take Flight Training on a 767 in the US today? And say something like, "I just want to learn how to fly fast and low." Well, lets do that with Drums and Flashbangs and the INSANE online marketplace that is out there.

My method doesn't cure the world, it just makes it all the more hard for idiots to have ideas and do what this dude did. If ONLY logistically.

So, do you want to discuss it, or not?
Yes, I'd like to discuss it. ;)

Save the Blade stats on Gun Laws, good or bad, gimme facts supporting 100 round drums in the US constitution and tell me why it's WISE to have them for sale on the web. Let's start with BABY STEPS.... :thumbup:

D712

Gun control only prevents legal and responsible Americans from buying firearms. Criminals and the criminally insane will still find access to weapons and evoke carnage on whatever they please.

Yes. And, equally, bigger and badder weapons with more bullets wielded by gas mask suited dudes who bought ALL OF THE ABOVE legally, KILL MORE PEOPLE EFFECTIVELY than pistols and single shot rifles - which i will grant to the avg US CITIZEN alone. Fact.

More bullets = more potential energy = more kinetic energy = more blood. Fact.

If this IDIOT had less rounds, less drums, or gasp, one less weapon ------------> less would have died. Fact.

ERGO

Make smaller guns with limited rounds available (praise James Madison), and the bad crap not. That's step 1.

Look at me, I'm giving the other side what they want. Arms. Now, limit the bad crap. TRULY LIMIT.

D712

n.b. I mean, look at the posts above, I said I wanted to have an LCP on me in that theater. THE REPLY?!?!? It would have
done little against an AR and body gear. BUT WHAT IF the Idiot only had 3 Glocks and I had my LCP or a Glock of my own as
I wasn't jogging and had something bigger. Now it's Handgun v Handgun. And we save a couple lives, 11 critical peeps
STILL in hospital and 71 shot total. I say, random, 20 people-30 people could have been COMPLETELY spared from LEAD.

Tell me, the argument, not against Gun Laws as are, but against BETTER GUN LAWS?

Our gun laws are antiquated. We need better Laws and Manufacturing/Import Controls. And BETTER screening against Idiots.

Drop outta school? 2 year waiting time.

Punch someone in bar fight at Spring Break? 1 year wait time.

Get fired from job? 3 year wait time.

Quit job? 1 year wait time.

Family member files a complaint that you have been "withdrawn and are a loner" lately?
Treat it like spousal abuse. buys you a WAITING PERIOD and PSYCH eval.

It's the SAME STORY with air no fly lists and x-ray machines that scan for bomb liquids through CHECKED luggage, it just takes a 9/11. Otherwise, "to hell with it".

We are too interested in EVERYTHING ELSE.

And WHY don't these laws get changed? WIMP ARSE politicians want to get re-elected and NOT MAKE WAVES IN THE CONSTITUENCY. And S&W gets to march on. It's the POWER HUNGRY DC IDIOTS enabling the POWER HUNGRY MASS MURDERERS.

It cannot be easily or readily immediately fixed, but it can be better.

D712

I wish so bad that I had been there that night to stop it! It drives me nuts he killed so many.

Last edited:
I wish so bad that I had been there that night to stop it! It drives me nuts he killed so many.

Really? You wish you had been there with a pistol up against a psycho with an assault rifle, a shotgun, and 2 handguns wearing body armor? C'mon.

It is what it is. If this guy didn't have access to guns, it would have been explosives, or gas, or something else. Granted, gun terror might be a little bit easier to plan and pull off, but if someone is determined to wreak random acts of violence, it's going to be hard to stop regardless.

CNN correspondant quotes from tonight:

"talking about gun control is considered politically incorrect in Washington.".

"despite the fact that we see daily gun shootings in the us, and mass shootings, there is not an appetite to put forward specific proposals."

"right now the gun lobby outspends gun control advocates about 10-1"

"and money talks in Washington of course and that makes a big difference."

"that 10-1 difference really accounts for some in Washington not to take on the gun lobby"

"...despite the fact that polls show there is increasing support for increasing background checks, support for restricting the sales of perhaps these excessive magazines.".

And that sums up my posts above. Washington politicians have a chance to make a change and they are selling out safety up the CREEK.

BILL CLINTON was last person in DC to take on NRa and gun lobby during assault rifle ban.

Cheeeeers for the idiots who got in the way of that one!!!!

D712

Really? You wish you had been there with a pistol up against a psycho with an assault rifle, a shotgun, and 2 handguns wearing body armor? C'mon.

No kidding. I've mentioned it before in this thread, but this guy was armed and armored better than the North Hollywood shootout guys. Dozens of cops with handguns couldn't stop those guys in broad daylight on city streets.

One guy eventually shot himself. The other guy was taken out by SWAT firing under cars at his feet and legs. Any CCW'er who engaged that guy in the theater would very likely have been mown down.

This incident is not a piece of evidence either for or against CCW ... any more than Shawn Nelson's rampage is evidence for or against police getting Cobra attack helicopters.

stricter gun laws wouldn't have done anything.

more relaxed gun laws wouldn't have done anything either.

Seems to me we've had this discussion before. :)

since 80 years of legislation haven't stopped every shooting, then why legislate further? AS OPPOSED to legislating more wisely, or appropriately? In other words, "We give up?" Please clarify.

#1, this is the classic "conundrum" when government fails to solve a problem.

Is the War On Drugs a ridiculous ongoing pointless disaster because drug laws and enforcement aren't draconian enough? Or because prohibition is stupid?

Is the economy limping along in pseudo-recovery because there wasn't enough stimulus spending? Or was the stimulus stupid? (Or maybe irrelevant?)

#2, why on earth would we trust the people who have demonstrably failed to legislate wisely for the last EIGHT DECADES to suddenly get it right? Keep in mind that these are the same astoundingly gun-ignorant people who
- ban classes of guns based on cosmetic features alone (eg, fed & CA "assault" weapon bans)
- (per my quote of CA Sen Yee above) want to muddy the already filthy waters of the CA "assault" weapon ban by retro-banning a device that makes up perhaps 3% of magazine locks
- write articles and get the most basic facts wrong (.223 millimeter AR-15)

I understand that guns are out there - in CRAZY numbers, but is there NOTHING we can do? Can we turn every state into NYC?

Could we? We could try. Of course, it'd be a ridiculous failure, not to mention unconstitutional.

Require a colonoscopy for each and every bullet purchase? LEGAL ONLINE gas mask purchase? LEGAL ONLINE purchase of 100 round drum for an AR purchase (these were the methods our killer used btw).

California has made it illegal to sell magazines over 10 rounds for more than a decade now. That hasn't stopped people from obtaining them.

Well, let me rephrase that. It has stopped me from obtaining them, because I obey the law. Criminals don't bother paying attention to misdemeanor magazine capacity laws when they're committing violent felonies. Isn't that odd?

WHAT IF (every good story starts off with a what if, yes?) gun manufacturers were required to stop producing and selling 100 drum clips except to the US MILITARY.

Would that piss off the constitutionalists?

It would, and it should.

Just like the last time we had this discussion, you're totally missing the point of guns and the 2nd Amendment.

The 2nd Amendment is not about deer hunting. It's about the power of the people (individually - don't rehash that old "militia" crap) to possess weapons for the purpose of killing other human beings as efficiently as possible. That's the point.

Let's not dance around the issue, or indulge in euphemisms. Guns are for killing people.

The clear, unambiguous intent of the 2nd Amendment and the people who wrote it was to ensure that the people (individuals) would be as well armed as the military.

The repetitive crap about whether the Founders could have forseen the invention of machine guns is irrelevant. What they feared was an imbalance of power between the people (individuals) and the government. Surely if they could see the current imbalance of power that accompanies the technology, surveillance, databases, aircraft, etc at the government's disposal ... they would oppose ANY kind of limitation on the small arms the people could possess. Because the people have definitely lost the upper hand in the last 100 years or so.

Does this boil down to people wanting to "keep the peace" and cruise along with the "status quo" and kow-tow to the GUN LOBBY so they GET ELECTED FOR ANOTHER TERM?

Has it even occurred to you that the reason the anti-gun politicians would get voted out of office is because the people correctly decided those politicians were an affront and threat to freedom and individual liberty?

The bottom line is this, gun control isn't going to prevent EVERY KILLING, but a BETTER FORM OF CONTROL (perhaps less gun production for staters - oh boo hoo gun and gas mask makers) would be a start? No? Who knows where that would lead in 20 years?

I'll let someone else post the stats, but gun control doesn't lead to a reduction in violence, injury, and death.

So, my thought is, the nut jobs will find a way to get their guns, just make it really really really really really really hard for them to get what they want. ESPECIALLY if it's something out of the ordinary (100 round clips, 6000 round purchases LEGALLY website within 30 days).

I had 3000 handgun bullets, 700 rifle bullets, 6000 primers, and 9 pounds of powder delivered to my house in the last couple days.

I loaded about 1500 rounds of rifle and pistol ammunition last week. (Kind of an ordeal, actually, since I haven't bought a progressive press yet.)

I mean, hell, we can regulate EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING, from booze to cigarettes, this dude could ABSOLUTELY have been limited to 50 bullets....if the citizenry would care to fry this fish right now.

50 bullets. Jesus Christ, that's about 1-5 minutes at the range.

And you think a 50 round limit would've stopped this guy? Who planned this attack well in advance? You think he couldn't have gone to 4 different stores in an afternoon and bought 200 rounds total? Are you thinking at all?

It's the SAME RIGHT WING MENTALITY (GIMME my GUNS OR GIMME DEATH) that I hear with the religious right (BAN GAYS FROM BOY SCOUTS) or no anal allowed in Georgia because it's not in the frigging US CONSTITUTION. Everyone is living the 1787 dream and I think it's time to focus on priorities here.

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE THE ARGUMENT THAT "well, they have 100 guns in every house in sweden," so ya know, it's not the amount of guns.... Yeah, well, Sweden ain't America. Sweden isn't NYC, it's not Colorado, Miami, or LA. It's Sweden. Different values, different people, different upbringings, culture altogether. This is the US. And we are diseased.

I think it's really, really sad that you're so eager to surrender such a basic human liberty, all for the illusion of security.

If this theater shooting results in metal detectors at the movies, it'd be almost deliciously ironic: "security theater" at the theater.

Pgg, Please stop labeling gun control in a generic term.

No. It's all the same.

It's all pointless. ALL gun control fails to protect law abiding people. ALL gun control infringes on the liberty of law abiding people.

For example, I think that, per the 2nd amendment, I have the right to buy and keep a gun.

We agree!

Do you really, really, believe that a) the framers wanted you to be able to buy a 100 round drum, for an auto weapon, in order to carry armor piercing bullets?

Absolutely. See my point above about their ability to foresee future weapon advances as being irrelevant. Their clear intent was a populace armed well enough to capably resist both foreign invasion and government oppression. This, by definition, requires weapons commensurate with an era's military.

Their intent went further than just open armed resistance to armies, though. And armed populace can't be intimidated by kidnapping or beating opposition party members in the middle of the night.

Egypt seems well on its way toward squandering its recent shot at democracy, but if you watched their semi-peaceful revolution closely, you saw that protest leaders weren't being mown down by tanks and troops with machine guns. They were being disappeared in the middle of the night by government thugs. The ones who had (illegal) guns weren't disappearing as quickly as the others.

To me, that's ludicrous. If only because a) they didn't explicitly say so, so, ya know, interpretation. And secondly, it's 2012, time to get with the times.

The Constitution is a living document.

If you want to repeal the 2nd Amendment - do it. Don't pretend that time changes the meaning of the words. It's offensive and intellectually dishonest.

You can write a new Amendment that says anything you want. It can be as 2012-centric and modern and progressive as you like. Amend the Constitution and outlaw the guns you think are icky or unnecessary. Go ahead.

If Holmes wanted to buy a Glock, I'd say, ok, he got his Glock. Should he have easy access to a drum and gas mask? I think not. I mean, literally, lock that **** DOWN like Uranium.

Really. A gas mask should be contraband? :rolleyes:

Oh, boo too GUN LOBBY, and Constitutionalists that wouldn't know Madison if the dude walked up to them. Get your Glock or .357, an automatic Uzi. No.

Select fire weapons should not be regulated. In fact, the entire NFA should be repealed in its entirety.

You ask, indignantly, would it really really really help... well, lemme ask you this, would he have shot 70 people as effectively WITHOUT a 100 round drum? With only pistols? With only a rifle (not sure if that AR was semi or full auto), but point being, you know my point. As a scientist, you know the answer. You cannot do the damage he did with 6 shot revolvers that need to be reloaded after 6, or a Glock. That Shotgun and AR did most of the damage, I guarantee the ****ER didn't start shooting with the GLOCK. Come on.

Again, you're asking the wrong questions.

You're fixated on how to prevent a crazy person from killing a bunch of people.

Periodic massacres like this are an acceptable price for a society to pay, in return for the benefits of an armed populace. I'm going to post my favorite accidentally-accurate gun-control cartoon again:
GunControlCartoon.jpg

The idiot penguin is right, "the occasional horrific civilian massacre is the price the rest of us have to pay" ... Deaths due to events like this are lost in the statistical noise of traffic deaths, lymphoma deaths, maybe even lemonade choking events.

In the last 200 years, this country has faced multiple existential threats. A civil war, a couple of world wars, on and on. I simply can't understand or forgive the kind of hubris and arrogance that you gun-control advocates have, when you're so willing to give up our individual rights to armed self defense. You think that because maybe we don't need to be armed TODAY ... that we won't need to be armed in 50 years. Or 100. Or 200.

Oh yeah, 2nd amendment, gotta respect that.

Yes. As much as the 1st Amendment.

And as much as the 8th Amendment ... but you've already declared your willingness to scrap that one too.

Are there any others you think we can do away with? Any others that need a 2012 update?

It's sick and it is a tragic event, we agree on that. New thought: ban 100 drum AR mags and machine guns from the US like they are crack cocaine, Plutonium, or Kryptonite.

Just out of curiosity: would you be so kind as to explain your understanding of the process by which a US citizen can buy a machine gun today (say, a full auto / select fire AR-15), whether or not there's a waiting period, and the rough cost?

I'm just curious if you really have an idea what laws and regulations CURRENTLY exist.

I'll trust you to write your response without Googling the answer first.

Lemme ask you this: 1) will banning INCREASE VIOLENCE? I assume no.

You assume? Why assume? There's data out there.

(if you even go near the constitution regarding a 100 round drum or AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUN, I'm reallllllly going to take issue with that line or arguing.

I think I've made that point above a couple times.

The Constitution doesn't need to enumerate exactly what is OK for citizens to own. It provided a brilliantly simple and inclusive word: arms.

If you don't like that, then amend the Constitution.

I'll HAPPILY give up that "freedom."

I really don't know what to say to this. It does make me a little sad though.

If only you had as much respect for the entire Bill of Rights as you have for the 1st.

I agree with the pro-gun people on here.

The purpose of the 2nd amendment to the American constitution was to allow people to protect themselves from an unjust oppressive government first and foremost. Foreign invaders would be primarily dealt with by the military.

I'm from Canada, and we are pretty limited on weapons. No sidearms, only rifles, and trying to get one is a very difficult process. That being said, a few years ago there was some government conference in Toronto that wasted a bunch of money, and that gave the police an excessive amount of extrajudicial power during that day. Had Canadians been privy to the same gun laws as Americans, things might have gone more smoothly.

That being said, this wacko needs to go to jail or get the chair or something. He's a menace to society.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Even if they banned new guns from being made, and even if they then went out and confiscated every legal firearm in America (is it really ok for the government to take away private property?), there are still countless illegal guns out there that bad guys have access to. It's like the ridiculousness of "gun free zones". The only people who obey those are the law abiding citizens who may be able to intervene against the criminal intent on committing murder or burglary or kidnapping and couldn't care less about the crime of carrying where he's not supposed to.

Seems to me we've had this discussion before. :)
Yes. Yes we have. Let's just keep it civil?

#1, this is the classic "conundrum" when government fails to solve a problem.
Are you OUT OF YOUR FRIGGING MIND?

Just kidding.

Is the War On Drugs a ridiculous ongoing pointless disaster because drug laws and enforcement aren't draconian enough? Or because prohibition is stupid?
Pgg, Please don't side step the questions. Please answer one. I think you answered 50% of these with questions. Guns aren't drugs. Guns are guns. And while people are addicted to both Guns and Drugs (See Blade's posts) :D Guns are a different beast.

Your argument makes NO sense. You choose prohibition because it failed and, golly, now want to compare it to Guns...just because? That's worse than a Strawman argument. It's a reverse double tuck with a triple axel straw man and you FU CKED up the landing!

Is the economy limping along in pseudo-recovery because there wasn't enough stimulus spending? Or was the stimulus stupid? (Or maybe irrelevant?)

Same thing here. Great little news bite. but it's MEANINGLESS.

I can do the same thing. Watch. Watch. Ready? Watch. OK. Watch.

1) Did we make seat belt use a required law in the 50 states? YES. OR NO?

2) Have they saved lives? YES. OR NO. Are you going to now quote the one accident where a seat belt
kept a water crash victim from getting out of the car? Or ask a question.

But anyway, that's a FOOLISH COMPARISON, as are drugs and alcohol.

I have faith in you PGG, you can do MUCH better than that. If that's your best, then, ya know, give it up.
What you MEAN TO SAY IS, "We have tried everything and it's failed, so, I give up."

IRONY ALERT: thank GAWD your beloved Framers took a different viewpoint of the US. ;) They could have pulled a PGG and California'd out as well. Or a Doctor712 and Florida'd out. But I'm here advocating to find SOME CHANGE and you're saying, "I'm out."

Ok, you're out.

#2, why on earth would we trust the people who have demonstrably failed to legislate wisely for the last EIGHT DECADES to suddenly get it right?
Why on earth would you not give a crap enough to find a solution? (see how the old answering with a question is annoying as crap?) I'll add to it though: so, politicians NEVER GET IT RIGHT. Seat belts. Cigarette warning labels and ID checks to make sure Johnny Idiot doesn't get his smokes at 12 years old. For every Johnny Idiot that DOES get Johnny Idiot's older brother to buy a pack of cigs FOR HIM, we have a BOBBY IDIOT that walks out of 7-11 with some Laffy Taffy and a Slurpee. So, DM vs Cancer. I don't know the stats but I think you get the point.

Same thing with alcohol. WE ALL drank at 18. I mean ALL. We snuck it, stole it, made it, whatever. The law is there TRY TO MAKE SOME PREVENTION. Period. Not solve the world. It's a deterrent. It's NOT perfect. Nothing is perfect. I'll take 1/100 rather than 0/100.

oh, and to answer your quoted question, you vote right? WHY. These are the people who have....bla bla...demonstrably.... bla bla.... :laugh:

Keep in mind that these are the same astoundingly gun-ignorant people who
- ban classes of guns based on cosmetic features alone (eg, fed & CA "assault" weapon bans)
- (per my quote of CA Sen Yee above) want to muddy the already filthy waters of the CA "assault" weapon ban by retro-banning a device that makes up perhaps 3% of magazine locks
- write articles and get the most basic facts wrong (.223 millimeter AR-15)

Wait, did a politician write that article, or a reporter. Let's not lump those two together. Politicos ban. Reporters screw up basic facts. They are their own special breeds of idiot. And some are good people.

Could we? We could try. Of course, it'd be a ridiculous failure, not to mention unconstitutional.
Thank you, Justice PGG. I actually think we've covered this ground, oh, Political Science scholar. This sort of statement really shows your level of understand of the Judicial Branch of our government.

California has made it illegal to sell magazines over 10 rounds for more than a decade now. That hasn't stopped people from obtaining them.

Well, let me rephrase that. It has stopped me from obtaining them, because I obey the law. Criminals don't bother paying attention to misdemeanor magazine capacity laws when they're committing violent felonies. Isn't that odd?
You're right. I'm not worried about YOU buying a 100 round clip. Or a 40 round clip.
a) Does the ban in California bother you and do you see it as an affront to your liberties? Of course you do.
b) Go send your unconstitutional note to the Supreme Court, see how far you can run that puppy up the flagpole.
Use a lot of whining, annoyed verbiage.
c) It hasn't stopped people from obtaining them with RELATIVE EASE.
d) Ban them nationally and let's see if purchasing rates go UP OR DOWN (duh) and whether or not Jimmy Idiot goes through the trouble of ordering them from India (wait wait wait, no internet purchases, new rules. make inroads to Indian govt to have clips removed from sales to US. FIGHT FOR A CHANGE. ANY CHANGE.
Make it harder for me to BUY A 100 ROUND CLIP FOR MY AR than it is to BUY A BOX OF MONTECRITO'S FROM HAVANA. Legit ones mind you. Sure, I can DRIVE to montreal, buy em, drive back to the US, sneak through Customs (maybe), and smoke em. Guess what, I never did a Cigar run to montreal. I lived in a state that TOUCHES montreal practically. quebec at least. And if our neighbors to the north helped out with US purchases (ID PLEASE...) it would be all the more hard.

Just like the last time we had this discussion, you're totally missing the point of guns and the 2nd Amendment.
Ok, so lemme give you a little background here. Because this is a doctors' forum with scientists and those in training, so who knows what people's backgrounds are, and aren't (until they start making SCOTUS' decisions on their behalf, but I digress). I'm a writer. My expertise is Television Writing. I've dabbled in Movies, but I wouldn't call myself an expert Film Writer just yet. Working on it. You're a Physicians. Your Expertise is Anesthesiology (I'm jealous, and you know that's true) and Medicine, and all things Human Body. My prior training was 4 years at an Ivy League School majoring in Political Science. Specifically, American Politics. More specifically in the Federal Convention of 1787. And lastly, James Madison. I'd say 25% of my training was at the Graduate Level. Maybe 20%. Two theses of 80 pages each (one on SCOTUS, one on Madison). A year of my life.

OK PGG, are you going to sit there and tell me that you have a SINGLE FRIGGING CLUE about the circumstances of that Convention, and tell me that I'm missing the point of the 2nd Amendment (adopted 4 years later, not that that matters much)? As sure as s hit, I'm convinced that you have NO IDEA, no schooling, no training, no formal knowledge with the exception of a few books on your shelf from Borders and an uninformed opinion that would hopefully, serve yourself and your own interests. Swing lefts and rights here when it comes to medicine, I do it with writing when needed, don't lecture me about the US Constitution - and certainly, what would and wouldn't be found constitutional. You haven't a single clue. I accept my knowledge level, I don't come out here speaking on behalf of SCOTUS and getting you inside the minds of the framers - a task that some people spend their ENTIRE LIVES trying to deliberate in the poli sci academic circles of their institutions. but you're a doctor, so you're omnipotent, i get it.

The 2nd Amendment is not about deer hunting
F UCK, I gotta go back and rewrite thesis #2.

It's about the power of the people
I'm with ya.

(individually - don't rehash that old "militia" crap)
I wouldn't. Seriously.

to possess weapons
Still with ya. I'm roped in now.

for the purpose of killing

I like where you're headed with this PGG!!!! Woot. GO PGG!!!!!

other human beings
You stud!

as efficiently as possible

W?

T?

F?

PGG. You may THINK that. You may WANT TO THINK THAT. but, for something to be, Professor, tacitly proven as someone's (or a group of people's wishes) they need to EXPLICITLY STATE THAT. And golly gee, those Framers went through so much trouble in that hot convention room in Philly after Madison finally got his Quorum (not on the first time, some people must've just wanted to lollygag through the status quo - sound familiar) they went through sooooooooooooo many nights and weeks and Mint Iced Tea, BEING EXPLICIT on certain counts, and LEAVING SOOOOOOOOOOO much open to interpretation, that, not arguably, they wanted this this to be able to adapt. At least, there are Poli Sci scholars out there, by the 100000s that argue that point to the same certaintly my Orgo Prof taught me about Carbon being tetravalent. THINK about WHY and WHEN they chose to be explicit, and when they did not. Some times, Professor, the most powerful form of speech - is silence. This is part of the study and the understanding of the Constitution. ESPECIALLY if you spent weeks at a time in The Stacks reading Madison's personal notes dictated (by himself and to himself, whatever) every evening
the Convention took place.

That's the point.
So, you're wonderfully news bitey "efficient" and "that's the point" crap, is just that. Horseshi IT.

Let's not dance around the issue, or indulge in euphemisms. Guns are for killing people.
Thank you Professor.

The clear, unambiguous intent of the 2nd Amendment and the people who wrote it was to ensure that the people (individuals) would be as well armed as the military.
Find that phrase for me in the 2nd amendment please. Please. I'll buy you a drink at ASA in Washington this fall... anything at the bar. 4 drinks.

Would you like me to post the ACTUAL text for anyone playing along at home?

With the years that have passed, the text, and its meaning has been debated and debated. Thus, the moniker of the Cons as a "living document." WHAT IM saying is that there is STILL room to debate and discuss and learn and let it breath, if that suits 2012. What you're saying is, "God made the world. It's done. Period. Let's move on."

The repetitive crap about whether the Founders could have forseen the invention of machine guns is irrelevant.
It's totally relevant Professor. Living document, your words. ;)

What they feared was an imbalance of power between the people (individuals) and the government
. Enough evidence and historical fact supports that. What's your point?
That the population requires 100 round clips for the people of the US to be as strong as their G?
No really, can you answer that? Can you take it a step further and suggest that US CITIZENS should
have the rights and legal status to PURCHASE AND USE:

1) F-15s (how FUN would that be!!!!!)
2) Tanks
3) Those cool choppers that they used in Red Dawn, name escaping me right now. Bullets included. Jennifer Grey not included.
4) RPGs

Have is OCCURRED TO YOU Professor, that your argument holds NO WATER. Firstly, if you think the US citizen needs 100 round clips in order to keep equally armed with our G, you need to step away from your Anesthesia cart and stop sniffing the Glue. Like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. And second, today, that US living document could not POSSSSSSSSSSIBLY provide for 1-4 that I just listed, without an ALL OUT LIVE ACTION VERSION of CALL OF DUTY. So, there goes your argument in BOTH directions. So, limit the fuc king 100 round mags legally. According to your logic, if a US CITIZEN CANNOT FLY AND ARM an F-15, then I raise you and say, add in AUTOMATIC GUNS and EXCESSIVE CLIPS. Let SCOTUS take a look, see if they can stamp it, Baby Steps.

If you're worried about the US G falling to **** in the next 100-200 years, and the people need to protect themselves, let the document figure that one out NOW. Today, we have other problems. It's sort of How CURRENT CULTURAL AND SOCIETAL NORMS work in the US. We think about our best interests - for better or worse - now. We've made mistakes and rounded up Japanese people, and I'm sure innocent Muslims. Mistakes. But we've also outlawed sending a Bomb in the Mail....isn't a BOMB an ARM PGG? You don't even need to explode it. See how amazing our lawmakers can be!!!!!! We've also outlawed sending nude pictures of Jimmy the Idiot, when he was 8, in the mail to the Sandusky's of the world. God that kid finds a way into SO much trouble. (ps. we can discuss first amendment later, but suffice it to say i have NO problems with a llllll the RIGHT limits on 1st amendment. i don't sit at home, complaining that i want EVERY right that madison "thought" i wanted 200 years ago, and gosh darn it Cooter if i don't get every possibly NON EXPLICIT right I'm gonna raise a firestorm!!!!!) Like you gun rights shmucks. Get a Glock. As Nicholson said, (nice writing) "It don't add inches to your dick." Though he was referring to an automatic weapon. Ha, a criminal with a brain. "Buys you a Life sentence..." was the next line I think.

Surely if they could see the current imbalance of power that accompanies the technology, surveillance, databases, aircraft, etc at the government's disposal ... they would oppose ANY kind of limitation on the small arms the people could possess.
Woah, woah woah woah woah. YOU ALMOST back-peddled through that hoop PGG. I almost missed it. SMALL arms. You just added the word, SMALL into the US constitution. DID. YOU. NOT?

Surely. I'll keep the Surely's to Writing and a Little of my PoliSci training, can you promise to do the same with Medicine, Professor? Whatever SCOTUS/1787 background you have is probably from a Chapter in Ketchum. Stop preaching dude.

Your argument makes 0 sense. 1) I'm convinced that you have very little knowledge of the Federal Convention and really don't have any idea about what went in that room, or knowledge of SCOTUS' historical decisions in general, so I have to think you, sir, cannot sit there and tell ANYONE, what those Framers were thinking about the US circa 2012. Or what they would and would not want. I gave you my take.

Because the people have definitely lost the upper hand in the last 100 years or so.
Absolutely they have. I guess we should fold up the Constitution into a paper airplane and fling it off a cliff, yes?
Or no. Are you afraid of your G? Do you want to arm yourself SIMPLY because you know you can? Again, I'm not worried about you. You want to make a hypothetical about what 1787 peeps WANTED in that Federal Convention???? About the US G having ALL this unbalanced power? Here's a hypothetical: show Madison the news clippings of the Massacre yesterday. Of the killings in the streets of HOW MANY US CITIES on a daily basis? Not with 6 shooters, but with Tek 9s and all that crap. Then TELL US what the Framers envisioned for the US...

Has it even occurred to you
no. no, it has not.

that the reason the anti-gun politicians would get voted out of office is because the people correctly decided those politicians were an affront and threat to freedom and individual liberty?
Do you feel that way? 1) Did you vote for Bubba? 2) Do you, honestly, feel a threat from your G to your freedoms and liberties? 3) Or, as a naval man, do you think they are there to PROTECT and ENSURE that freedom better than any other regime in the HISTORY of recorded time. Or at least modern times. 4) Caveat, I think the Romans kicked ass for a while, so, 86 them. When I SENSE that the G is about to turn on me, I'll get out my Glock, some Campbells soup, round up my family and aim out the window. I'll go down in a BARRAGE of CHOPPER BULLETS according to you and it REALLY wouldn't matter if I had a Glock or a Canon, however, I imagine you'd like to legalize Canons as well. If you'd truly like the US citizenry to be as well equipped as the G, join a Militia, they are fine people. And, also, I don't want to live in that America. Apparently, neither does the US Supreme Court, Congress, POTUS or your Legislature (god, maybe I voted on that Prop, the 100 Clip Prop, gotta look up the year). Point being, the times, they are a changing. Join us. Fear terrorists, I MEAN THE G, oops, less. ;)

part two follows in next post...

I ACTUALLY OVERWROTE THE LIMIT of 32000 characters. ha.

D712

read on PGG...

I'll let someone else post the stats, but gun control doesn't lead to a reduction in violence, injury, and death.
And an inhalational induction is always the best and only approach. Oh wait, no it's not. Stop being generic, tell me how a) ASIDE FROM THE CONS, 100 round clips improve the safety of the common citizen when STARING INTO an AR-15? tell me THAT, and then we can debate 1787. You are hanging your hat on some Scientology, Right Wing Loving, God-Creationist belief that THIS IS THE WAY IT IS AND NOTHING IS UP FOR DEBATE. I'm ashamed on your behalf Pgg. I thought you were actually brilliant. It turns out, you just want your guns. The way my brother in law wants, knows, his daughter will be a virgin to marriage, because Jesus WANTED IT THAT WAY. Period. Etched in some stone carved belief. "Madison wanted it. Gimme my virgin - i mean gun!!!"

LIVING DOCUMENT.

I had 3000 handgun bullets, 700 rifle bullets, 6000 primers, and 9 pounds of powder delivered to my house in the last couple days.
Here's the kicker: modify background checks, modify ORDER LIMITS of things that can kill people in 2012, and make it an acceptable limit of rights. I don't know if you know this, but right have limits. ;) Allllll of em. Sorry if that would convenience you or your end-of-the-world Powder Keg delivery. :) Let's open the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and see if your 7000 bullet order was covered there, or if driving and texting on a cell phone is unconstitutional in the US....limits dude.

I loaded about 1500 rounds of rifle and pistol ammunition last week. (Kind of an ordeal, actually, since I haven't bought a progressive press yet.)
I'm proud of you. 2012 is more than 1/2 way over and you are well stocked for the alien invasion. When I get my gun, my hand gun, my arms, I will get a LEGAL GUN (as defined by SCOTUS) with a LEGAL CLIP (as defined by the state or federal statute). Limits. Let's nix the insane ****.

50 bullets. Jesus Christ, that's about 1-5 minutes at the range.
You know what my answer is to that?

Here...

SO. I'll give you 100. Take 10 minutes and enjoy yourself. In 12 clip bursts of PGG rage! I'm teasing because I'll be at the range. But when you are dealing with KILLING MACHINES, I think we should have limits. You don't. I get it. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong. You're just out of your mind. That's all. :D

And you think a 50 round limit would've stopped this guy
?
It wouldn't have STOPPED HIM. It would have changed the situation, ESPECIALLY if coupled with
a Nationwide MACHINE GUN ban AND 20 ROUND CLIPS. Less amo, smaller gun, maybe 1 less gun, maybe not, smaller clips so need to reload 5X MORE. Yeah, less people would be dead and injured. Agreed. 80%? 70%? 90%? If you were, god forbid, in the remaining batch of families that were notified this morning, you would have wanted that SLIGHT ADVANTAGE. But, well, I'm "glad" Holmes knew his rights, and I know, to a certainty, that Madison and Monroe REALLY wanted things this way for the citizens. God. I'll take ANY advantage I can get. It's funny, you and about 10 others said that an off duty cop would be little match for AR and SHOTGUN dude.
They always go back to the WEAPONRY. A carpenter is only as good as his weapons, yes. I guarantee you, if he had only Glocks, this would have turned out DIFFERENT. DIFFERENT as in, not WORSE.

Who planned this attack well in advance? You think he couldn't have gone to 4 different stores in an afternoon and bought 200 rounds total? Are you thinking at all?
Think outta the box, Professor. It's not about the total rounds one can save up over a year, it's about the way and means to an end and manner they are sent flying (via an AR or SHOTGUN, or ILLEGAL POLICE CLIP for a 9mm) that IDIOT BOY flung said bullets in the direction of the 71 people he shot in what... 1 minute? Framers. Constitution. Yep. They wanted 100 clip drums.

Are you thinking at all?
Clearly you're not. Well, sorry, you're thinking about yourself. I get it.

I think it's really, really sad that you're so eager to surrender such a basic human liberty, all for the illusion of security.
It's not a HUMAN liberty, it's an American liberty. That's first off. Secondly, rights do and should have limits. I am not SURRENDERING my "basic human liberty" to arm myself at ALL. You're just trying to twist the argument that way. Nope, not gonna work. Me ------> Glock --------> Ruger LCP -------> Bullets --------> Liberty.
What have I surrendered? Mister F-15? Oh, I forgot the Framers wanted me to arm myself like the US G to NO LIMIT. OK. Riiiiiiiiiight. Hey SDN gang, I have a canon for sale and a Top Gun used F-14, seats 2, low mileage, missiles intact. PGG thinks there should be no limits, OR, limits that suit his personal needs best so that he can justify his arsenal per the standards of the NON-EXPLICIT 2nd AMENDMENT. Make offer.

ALL gun control infringes on the liberty of law abiding people.
Question stands: ARMS. Now, it's GUNS. SMALL ARMS. CANONS. Which and what is your god given liberty. Quote the constitution, quote SCOTUS, and tell me a) how ALL arms should be allowed and b) show me the Framers intent. Why do I ask? YOU CANNOT. Nor could I.

Absolutely. See my point above about their ability to foresee future weapon advances as being irrelevant
. Yawn, PGG is thinking about PGG again.

Their clear intent was a populace armed well enough to capably resist both foreign invasion and government oppression.
We're good on Johnny Idiot and Bobby Idiot growing up and protecting us from the Nukes launched by North Korea. But thanks for playing along. I think the G will take it from here...

1) Do you feel oppressed PGG? That's an honest question. I don't. Not even with the 1st amendment and all its limits.

This, by definition, requires weapons commensurate with an era's military.
Yours is such a trite argument.

Their intent went further than just open armed resistance to armies, though. And armed populace can't be intimidated by kidnapping or beating opposition party members in the middle of the night.
Has anyone squired Decadron into your balls or Dilaudid into your brain in the moments immediately prior to you writing this phrase?

Egypt seems well on its way toward squandering its recent shot at democracy, but if you watched their semi-peaceful revolution closely, you saw that protest leaders weren't being mown down by tanks and troops with machine guns. They were being disappeared in the middle of the night by government thugs. The ones who had (illegal) guns weren't disappearing as quickly as the others.
See Narcotic joke above. If this is what you fear, sleep easily Boobala. And let's take it the other way, get a Glock. Arm yourself. Just not to the extent of the 2012 Military. Makes for a bad evening at the shooting range.

- Probably about the only thing you wrote that made sense.
- Probably about most important thing you wrote that contradicts the nonsense you have been spewing.
- You clearly don't know what this means.

If you want to repeal the 2nd Amendment - do it.
Could we amend it as opposed to repeal it?

Don't pretend that time changes the meaning of the words.
This comment is best answered with your own words:
I think you're confused. IT ABSOLUTELY DOES. SCOTUS admits to this. We've covered this area.

It's offensive and intellectually dishonest.
It's accurate. As a suggestion, might I offer this link. I think you should sign up for POL 220 ASAP.

http://www.princeton.edu/politics/undergraduate/courses/list-by-field/american-politics/

You can write a new Amendment that says anything you want. It can be as 2012-centric and modern and progressive as you like. Amend the Constitution and outlaw the guns you think are icky or unnecessary. Go ahead.
Did California re-write the 2nd Amendment in order to ban 100 round clips? Did NY amend the 2nd amendment to enact its gun laws? Should I keep listing... I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what needs to be accomplished here and the means to an end. For this lesson, I think you should stick with POL 332.

http://www.princeton.edu/politics/undergraduate/courses/other-courses/

Really. A gas mask should be contraband? :rolleyes:
Actually, no, I take that back. Happy?

Select fire weapons should not be regulated. In fact, the entire NFA should be repealed in its entirety.
Lock em and Load em!

Again, you're asking the wrong questions.
Grain of salt, darling.

You're fixated on how to prevent a crazy person from killing a bunch of people.
And you're fixated on your weaponry as a hobby. I'm fixating on improving america to the extent I can,
in this case, we're talking guns. I can do cartoons, times square and marijuana another time.

Periodic massacres like this are an acceptable price for a society to pay,
Currently yes. That's disgusting that you just wrote that with your self interests in mind. I'd like
to change the status quo.

in return for the benefits of an armed populace
Arm yourself. Who in the NAME OF GOD is asking you to lose your sidearm?

I'm going to post my favorite accidentally-accurate gun-control cartoon again:
GunControlCartoon.jpg
the comic was yawn inducing. like your entire, side stepping rant.

Deaths due to events like this are lost in the statistical noise of traffic deaths, lymphoma deaths, maybe even lemonade choking events.
do you support lymphoma research? HIV research? hell, VITILIGO research? Ok, then you are thinking like a normal person now: problem......aim for solution. thank GOD lymphoma researchers don't go home at night and go all PGG, "well, ****, I don't have lymphoma..."
PGG, I expected more from you.

I simply can't understand or forgive the kind of hubris and arrogance that you gun-control advocates have
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

when you're so willing to give up our individual rights to armed self defense.
defend away. amen for california politico hubris in order to ban 100 round drums. NEXT: AMERICAN
NATIONWIDE HUBRIS!!!!!! Madison gave you that right dude, respect it, don't ABUSE IT. He can take it away too. Ease up.

You think that because maybe we don't need to be armed TODAY ... that we won't need to be armed in 50 years. Or 100. Or 200.
I don't care about 200. 50, maybe we'll be Egypt. Get a Glock. Your argument is ridiculous. Get a F-15? That's a WEAPON. AN ARM. Planes are legal. You think your AR is going to help against small yield nukes if the G REALLY wants to say bye bye to Akron? PGG, come on...

Yes. As much as the 1st Amendment.
Rights with limits. See, ****. ****. ****. ****.
I was censored. Ask me if I give a crap. On Fox I was censored as well. Yet, people still laughed at my jokes.
big picture dude. BIG PICTURE. What I cannot do is yell FIRE in a theater, or, even worse, do what Holmes did. LIMITS.

And as much as the 8th Amendment ... but you've already declared your willingness to scrap that one too.
Not at all. Death Penalty is constitutional. Firmly. Totally. I just want, less than death. How could that be more cruel or unusual? Let's make it USUAL. :cool:

Are there any others you think we can do away with? Any others that need a 2012 update?
Nope, our Country is perfect.

Just out of curiosity: would you be so kind as to explain your understanding of the process by which a US citizen can buy a machine gun today (say, a full auto / select fire AR-15), whether or not there's a waiting period, and the rough cost?
I'm proud to say I've never attempted to purchase an AR-15, or even a Glock, that's about to change. When I need to I'll look it up, I've already started. I IMAGINE, there is a background check, waiting period, record keeping and transmitting to the appropriate agencies. What's your point? It's a broken system, let's fix it. That's my point.

I'm just curious if you really have an idea what laws and regulations CURRENTLY exist.
Some. I'll start listing laws when you start quoting Ketchum. :thumbup:

I'll trust you to write your response without Googling the answer first.
I cannot. How does that change my argument against 100 round drums? Do you feel oppressed that you need to go through a background check to get an AR-15 or a Glock or a 100 round drum and a Flashbang? I suppose you'd like to pick up that stuff at 7-11, with some Hubba Bubba and a 6-pack?

I think I've made that point above a couple times.
you have. you have ABSOLUTELY banged home the facts that a) you feel oppressed and afraid of the G. b) you have limited to no knowledge of the facts circling the federal convention of 1787. c) or SCOTUS d) or federalism e) and all of that doesn't matter because you think you can read madison's mind without reading his own papers (haha) and f) you call people who want to limit certain rights, as has been done for 200 years, arrogant.

did i miss anything?

The Constitution doesn't need to enumerate exactly what is OK for citizens to own. It provided a brilliantly simple and inclusive word: arms.
keep drinking that cool aid. funny how SCOTUS doesn't agree with you and hasn't invalidated EVERY SINGLE GUN LAW for the last 200 years. yeah, you know what the F you're talking about.

If you don't like that, then amend the Constitution.
don't need to. do you want the lecture now or later about why? starts with federal. ends with ism.
scotus involved too.

I really don't know what to say to this. It does make me a little sad though.
i'm sad you're sad.

If only you had as much respect for the entire Bill of Rights as you have for the 1st.
actually, i treat every right just about the same. limited. it's where i live and beats Iran. not sure why, as a writer, you think i'm hypocritical about it, but that's your deal, and in the infamous words of captain jack sparrow, "you'll have to square with that one day, son."

D712

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Even if they banned new guns from being made, and even if they then went out and confiscated every legal firearm in America (is it really ok for the government to take away private property?), there are still countless illegal guns out there that bad guys have access to. It's like the ridiculousness of "gun free zones". The only people who obey those are the law abiding citizens who may be able to intervene against the criminal intent on committing murder or burglary or kidnapping and couldn't care less about the crime of carrying where he's not supposed to.

My argument is flawed because i cannot come up with a perfect fix. donate blood. get illegal guns off the street. step away from the coke. smile. koomba-frigging-ya.
but, Mike, I'll let the ATF know that you think they are a monumental waste of taxpayers money. just don't call em if you ever need em. ;) FBI too.

gun control folks will say access is the problem

nra folks will say if carry laws were more lax the guy would have been shot by the time he killed the third person

whos right? who knows?

but I do know state endorsed violence has NEVER been a good idea. let ole james holmes get it every day from big jerome while hes in the clink...dont stone him and put him out of misery.

My argument is flawed because i cannot come up with a perfect fix. donate blood. get illegal guns off the street. step away from the coke. smile. koomba-frigging-ya.
but, Mike, I'll let the ATF know that you think they are a monumental waste of taxpayers money. just don't call em if you ever need em. ;) FBI too.

You're sidestepping my point a bit.

1. The ATF was originally tasked with moonshine (if memory serves), then took on the task of illegal firearms and tobacco tax evasion. There are many that would argue the ATF is the true Gestapo in Federal Law Enforcement, but I don't particularly care to engage in that discussion. The fact of the matter is, there are many illegal guns out there and the ATF is doing their best to try and snag as many as they can, but I'd bet you our next paycheck that if you took a random sample of ATF agents and asked them if they could ever get all illegal guns off the street, they'd laugh. Honestly though, I do think the ATF is a bit of a waste of money, and their function is redundant to local law enforcement, who tend to have an exponentially higher level of awareness of illegal activities in their area than any federal agency.

2. Programs are initiated nationwide and quite frequently to get illegal guns off the street in exchange for cash, prizes, etc, and yet there are still illegal guns on the street. Once again, law-abiding citizens follow gun laws, not criminals.

3. One simply needs to look at countries with strict gun laws to find out that there is still senseless gun violence perpetuated by criminals.

4. It is not an invalid argument to suggest that taking away guns doesn't stop mass murder. Lets take this movie theatre as a prime example. The dude booby trapped his apartment with chemicals and incendiary devices. Lets take your idealistic utopia where guns don't even exist, this guy would have simply taken in other weapons of mass destruction, crafted chemically, and been able to kill just as many, if not more.

5. As long as there are legal guns on the street, there are the potential for illegal guns on the street. Unless you are proposing and supporting that the government has the right to confiscate all legal firearms, then there is still the potential for those weapons to be stolen (by criminals) and put into illegal circulation on the street. Again going back on your idealistic view that it is possible for all illegal guns to be removed from circulation, the realistic situation is that unless you rid the ENTIRE PLANET of ALL guns, there will ALWAYS be a way for guns to find themselves into our country.

Given the above, I much prefer my right to carry my own legally obtained firearm so that I may protect myself and my family from criminals and their firearms.