Australian mass shooting

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by JobsFan, May 12, 2018.

1. JobsFan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    so sad
    Category: | Herald Sun

Will be interesting to see if this leads to (even) tighter gun control.
    I doubt anyone here will be saying we need more guns.

2. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

I don’t see what that situation has to do with gun rights of those with no criminal history.

Prosecute the murderer and leave everyone else alone

spacegun and Nash like this.
  3. Wiscoblue

Wiscoblue ASA Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Murder suicide....

4. chocomorsel

chocomorsel Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In Australia this is considered a mass shooting. In the US, this is just everyday murder suicide amongst family members. Happens damn near every day.

Mass shooting in this country is some random person going and shooting up a bunch of people he has no relationship with.

Or maybe we are just desensitized and cynical. But doesn't Australia already have strict gun control? I thought they did after that Tasmania mass shooting.

nimbus likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Member
    10+ Year Member

Yep. A week ago we admitted 5 GSW in 32 hrs. Just an average weekend. Australia probably has as many idiots as we do, but we have more idiots with guns.

6. JobsFan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It’s tight gun control by us standards, but the number of guns is slowly increasing as we get complacent.

This was a murder suicide, looks like grand father killed his 4 autistic grand kids, their mother, and his wife. They lived on a hobby farm, and so probably reasonably had a firearm ... but he had 3

7. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Up until this year “HE” was appropriate. Now that a woman shot up the YouTube center, we can consider all sexes to be capable of this nonsense.

8. chocomorsel

chocomorsel Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah yeah I know. Except what's the ratio?

9. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they?
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tragic and sad, as all murders are.

I am curious though, why you think the fact that he had three guns as opposed to just one has anything to do with this outcome.

Do you think three made him 3x as dangerous? That three is, by itself, some kind of red flag or warning sign because nobody could legitimately need or use that many?

I'm not trying to be contrary or to ignite some kind of gun control debate. I know you generally favor gun control, and I know you know I don't. But I do try to understand and consider your side's position.

sb247 likes this.
  10. JobsFan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    that's fair enough.

it's hard to know in this particular case what actually happened... it seems the police are keeping a tight lid on what information is getting out to the media. and then of course, who knows what spin the media puts on things.

my thoughts are, that a farmer has a legitimate reason to have a gun to kill vermin etc.

I don't think 2 or more guns achieves that any better than 1, but it does allow you to switch guns and keep shooting without re loading - which is a good thing if you want to shoot a lot of people.

it also makes me worried that perhaps someone who owns more guns than they need, has an unhealthy fascination with guns ...

I concede some people will own a collection of guns for use as a hobby (target shooters etc), and that they may be well adjusted people who are not a threat to others.

I don't want to troll people here - I started this thread to say we are not immune over here, even if these sort of mass shootings are much rarer.

chocomorsel and pgg like this.
  11. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they?
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One thing a lot of non gun owners don't always appreciate is that guns can be very specialized. Even for something as narrow as just vermin control, there are differences in what is optimal for near / far shooting, big medium small nuisance animals, coyotes, rats, prairie dogs, feral pigs, etc. Some pests are alone and some are in groups; sometimes a single shot rifle is better and sometimes a semi auto is really needed. Feral pigs for example are usually controlled with semi auto AR type rifles (despite the talking point that an AR15 is not a hunting rifle).

I own a couple dozen firearms, and most have a very specific purpose. I have a few I would call duplicates or "extras". I have backups for all of my competition guns because it sucks to travel to a match and not be able to finish because something breaks. Another extra is an unassembled lower receiver that's a registered/taxed SBR. The only reason I have an extra there is because of gun control - if my other one was damaged, I'd have to wait 8-10 months for paperwork for a replacement.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it's not possible or even reasonable to assess potential threats by counting their guns.

The truth is that almost all murders committed with firearms in the US are at the hands of people who possess just one handgun, often illegally obtained.

Stroganoff likes this.
  12. Wiscoblue

Wiscoblue ASA Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why do people compare us with Australia. I know many advocates of gun control who say ‘look at Australia, why can’t we be like them?’ There’s very few guns there and therefore there are no mass killings. Well, we have an open border. People, guns and drugs cross freely. Me giving up my 10 guns ain’t gonna help the cause.

spacegun and AdmiralChz like this.
  13. austintr

austintr 5000 candles in the wind
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, but...have you ever been to Australia? Literally everything wants to kill you there. The spiders are the size of newborn humans and some of them can fly. I think even Australian kittens are venomous.

upload_2018-5-15_18-26-41.jpeg

14. JobsFan

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was born here

nimbus and POW16 like this.