Mass Spectrometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Mass Spectrometry we can determine the molecular weight, which we can use to narrow the choices of molecular formula. A computer can generate a list of of choices. This is what I don't understand:"There are always a number of molecular formulas possible for all but the lowest molecular weights"

Does that mean that when the compound is small, then there aren't that many choices of molecular formulas??

I think I'm just tired.

Members don't see this ad.

In Mass Spectrometry we can determine the molecular weight, which we can use to narrow the choices of molecular formula. A computer can generate a list of of choices. This is what I don't understand:"There are always a number of molecular formulas possible for all but the lowest molecular weights"

Does that mean that when the compound is small, then there aren't that many choices of molecular formulas??

I think I'm just tired.

I am not sure what you are trying to ask, but as far as Mass spec goes.
It is basically use to figure out the MW weight of the compound by looking at peaks.

*I am sorry if this is not enough help!

If you can differentiate between the base peak and molecular ion, know what fragments will not be displayed, a few general cleavage patterns, you should be good to go.

I think I'm just tired.

A low-resolution mass spectrometer. such spectrometers give the nominal molecular mass of a fragment the mass to the nearest whole number. High-resolution mass spectrometers can determine the exact molecular mass of a fragment to a prescision of 0.0001 amu. If we know the exact molecular mass of the molecular ion, we can determine the compound's molecular formula. Some computer programs can determine the molecular formula of a compound from the compound's exact molecular mass.

Example: many compounds have a nominal molecular mass of 122 amu, but each of them has a different exact molecular mass. Some compounds with a nominal molecular mass of 122 amu and their exact molecular mass.

Molecular formula C9H14, C7H10N2, C8H10O, C7H6O2, C4H10O4, C4H10S2
Exact molecular mass (amu) 122.1096,122.0845, 122.0732, 122.0368,122.0579

Not sure if this helps.... I am taking my test to day on this section Organic II.

A low-resolution mass spectrometer. such spectrometers give the nominal molecular mass of a fragment the mass to the nearest whole number. High-resolution mass spectrometers can determine the exact molecular mass of a fragment to a prescision of 0.0001 amu. If we know the exact molecular mass of the molecular ion, we can determine the compound's molecular formula. Some computer programs can determine the molecular formula of a compound from the compound's exact molecular mass.

Example: many compounds have a nominal molecular mass of 122 amu, but each of them has a different exact molecular mass. Some compounds with a nominal molecular mass of 122 amu and their exact molecular mass.

Molecular formula C9H14, C7H10N2, C8H10O, C7H6O2, C4H10O4, C4H10S2
Exact molecular mass (amu) 122.1096,122.0845, 122.0732, 122.0368,122.0579

Not sure if this helps.... I am taking my test to day on this section Organic II.

Hi DDS, can you reword this part: "Example: many compounds have a nominal molecular mass of 122 amu, but each of them has a different exact molecular mass. Some compounds with a nominal molecular mass of 122 amu and their exact molecular mass."