Master’s in Counseling w/ Mindfulness Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Does anyone know of any CACREP-Accredited master’s in counseling programs that have a mindfulness-based theoretical orientation and/or provides training in new wave behavior therapies, such as DBT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, or MBCT

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer, no. But you might look in the geographic areas near where the founders of those approaches work. For example, in Seattle near where Linehan is at UW. I would be surprised if their home schools or others in the area haven't incorporated those approaches. I attended a doctoral program in the Graduate School of Education at a university where the founder of a particular theory worked in the psychology department in Humanities & Sciences. Even though we were in separate divisions of the university, his theory was used heavily in courses and research projects in the Graduate School of Education. 20+ years later, if you poke me with a stick, I still say "Self-efficacy!" :)

You can get training in any of these approaches as a therapist without it being integrated into the program, although the training will be expensive. Some practicum placements (when you start to practice counseling in training settings) may also allow for specialized training in these areas, but it would be hard to determine whether these will be an option based on the master's program. Usually at the master's level, you get a broader view of approaches and not specialized training unless your supervisors use a particular approach that you're hoping to learn.

If in doubt, you could contact faculty from the programs to see what types of supervision/approaches are commonly used at practicum sites in their programs.

1st step; get your Masters in related field so that you can practice therapy
2nd step; attend training for modality you want to use

that's it

Reactions: 1 user