Master and still didn't get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdental972

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone that has received a master's in biomedical science and still did not get into dental school can share their experiences? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

We can point you in the right direction if you share your stats, (overall GPA, undergraduate GPA, science GPA, DAT) volunteering and shadowing experience.

We can point you in the right direction if you share your stats, (overall GPA, undergraduate GPA, science GPA, DAT) volunteering and shadowing experience.

undergrad 3.2, grad 2.8, dat 20, volunteer/shadow: 500+ hrs

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to get the grad GPA up higher. 3.5 grad GPA is competitive. 3.0 grad GPA is the minimum. Anything lower than that and I'm not even sure you're granted the Masters degree.

Reactions: 6 users
undergrad 3.2, grad 2.8, dat 20, volunteer/shadow: 500+ hrs
You got a 2.8 GPA for grad school? That's going to hurt. Are you finished with the program or can you take more classes to raise your GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Your performance in any post bac or masters needs to show improvement at the very least. Are you almost done with your masters?

You got a 2.8 GPA for grad school? That's going to hurt. Are you finished with the program or can you take more classes to raise your GPA?
I'm currently taking classes. I foresee myself getting borderline under 3.0. If the min is 3.0 to get the degree. What about those people who are around 2.9?

I'm currently taking classes. I foresee myself getting borderline under 3.0. If the min is 3.0 to get the degree. What about those people who are around 2.9?

Both Masters and Masters of Biomedical sciences degrees REQUIRE a 3.0 GPA upon completion of the program. You need to take "easy A" classes (if there's such a thing) to raise your graduate GPA. Otherwise, it is time to start looking at career alternatives.

There must be something else on your application that truly stands out. None of us are adcoms but the general consensus is that your postbac/masters GPA must be higher than your undergrad GPA. The DAT while not bad, isn't "wow!"
Have you considered a retake?

There must be something else on your application that truly stands out. None of us are adcoms but the general consensus is that your postbac/masters GPA must be higher than your undergrad GPA. The DAT while not bad, isn't "wow!"
Have you considered a retake?
I've already taken it three times. Is there such a thing as four times? After completing the fast track program here at unthsc, I just feel that dental school would be a breeze.

I've already taken it three times. Is there such a thing as four times? After completing the fast track program here at unthsc, I just feel that dental school would be a breeze.

How did you do on the previous two attempts on the DAT?

I'm going to be honest here. Things aren't looking too good. Your undergrad GPA was low, but salvageable through a grad program. Unfortunately, you did worse in your grad program instead of better. The purpose of the Masters degree was to show ad coms that you can handle higher level classes - instead you did the opposite. Your DAT may have been a way to compensate for your undergrad GPA, but a 20AA is just good, not great (and that's coming from someone who also got a 20AA). In addition to that, you have already taken it three times.

I don't really know if dental school is possible anymore with the way you're continuing. You NEED to raise that 2.8 to something much higher, but I know Masters degrees generally aren't very many credit hours (mine was only 45), so it might not be mathematically possible. I guess you could do an SMP if your current Masters program is almost over and try to get all 4.0s? But I couldn't suggest that to anyone in good faith knowing that the evidence shows you aren't performing well academically and it would possibly just be a waste of tens of thousands of dollars. Instead, I'd take some time and see if you really want dental school. There are other great healthcare fields out there. If you do still want to go for it, something needs to change. Are you studying? Did you have a medical/family problem that affected your situation?

I apologize if this comes off as harsh as it was not my intention. Think I'm just worn out after chasing my high school students all day.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be more concerned about your master's GPA at this point than your DAT.
I made a 79.17, when the grade for a B is 79.5. This is for A&P which is credit 5hr. I feel traumatized for life. The rest of the classes gets tougher. Not even sure how to feel anymore.

I am not sure what you meant by a "breeze"? The DAT is no big deal if you were to have a high grad GPA. Many schools recommend a graduate GPA of at least 3.5 to be considered competitive, if your undergrad GPA was low. Like other people have mentioned, they want to see you improve, and if you were to get an interview, they will ask you how can you show that you can succeed in dental school. Usually the answer to that question is: as you can see, I did much better in graduate school, which shows dedication, maturity, etc etc.

Maybe considering a second masters program? :(

Reactions: 2 users
We are all trying to help you here so I hope this doesn't come as harsh advice.

You said "dental school would be a breeze". Not sure what context I'm suppose to read that in but if you cannot do well in a master's program, how is dental school going to be a breeze?
The top students that get admitted to dental school still struggle.

Did you have any family problems?

Reactions: 5 users
We are all trying to help you here so I hope this doesn't come as harsh advice.

You said "dental school would be a breeze". Not sure what context I'm suppose to read that in but if you cannot do well in a master's program, how is dental school going to be a breeze?
The top students that get admitted to dental school still struggle.

Did you have any family problems?

I'm just saying that the graduate program here is just as hard as dental school. If I survive in this program, dental school will be like doing the same things all over again. I don't have any family problems. But, I am border-lining this program. I'm getting in my late 30's now. I'm going to try the best I can, apply and see what happens. I don't think I have that kind of energy or money to do a second masters anymore. I may consider a different career path. Not sure right now.

There is no shame in choosing a different career path. At the end of the day, you have to pay the bills.
Have you considered a career in nursing?

There is no shame in choosing a different career path. At the end of the day, you have to pay the bills.
Have you considered a career in nursing?
I'd personally do a second master's before nursing. I missed a grade by TWO QUESTIONS, which is 0.3 of a point. Traumatized for life.

I'd personally do a second master's before nursing. I missed a grade by TWO QUESTIONS, which is 0.3 of a point. Traumatized for life.
That's one grade. It wouldn't have hurt your GPA as badly if your masters GPA had been higher to begin with. You said you don't have the time or money to do a second masters and even if you did, you'd need to invest more time and more money into dental school. I know it sucks because you have a high sunk cost into dental school, but if I were in your shoes, I'd look into become a dental assistant or dental hygienist if you want to stay in the general field.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm just saying that the graduate program here is just as hard as dental school. If I survive in this program, dental school will be like doing the same things all over again. I don't have any family problems. But, I am border-lining this program. I'm getting in my late 30's now. I'm going to try the best I can, apply and see what happens. I don't think I have that kind of energy or money to do a second masters anymore. I may consider a different career path. Not sure right now.
Except you're not in sim lab for hours on top of classes. All you can do is try your best. If it doesn't work out, maybe it's for the best? There's tons of careers out there that could spark your interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are you going to do a second masters if your original masters is in biomedical sciences? Wouldn't you be repeating the same classes?

You can claim dental school to be "breeze" once you are in. Until you are in, you have to do everything in your power. If you are studying at 100% capacity, you are just not cut out for it. If you aren't putting your 100%, you have the wrong mentality.

Reactions: 5 users
Where exactly are you attending your MS so I can avoid that school?

Reactions: 1 users
Do podiatry. I'm sure you probably already have the prereqs. It takes a 3.1-3.3 GPA to be a competitive applicant and a ~21 MCAT score. You'd only have to take out ~$120K in tuition, and they pull anywhere from $115-135K per year.

Do podiatry. I'm sure you probably already have the prereqs. It takes a 3.1-3.3 GPA to be a competitive applicant and a ~21 MCAT score. You'd only have to take out ~$120K in tuition, and they pull anywhere from $115-135K per year.

Didn't they change the MCAT now?

Didn't they change the MCAT now?
That they did, however the podiatry schools haven't released an updated version to their guide book so who knows where the cutoff will be. Lots of medical schools still don't even have a hard cutoff point. I only know this because I was looking into the career path for a friend.

That they did, however the podiatry schools haven't released an updated version to their guide book so who knows where the cutoff will be. Lots of medical schools still don't even have a hard cutoff point. I only know this because I was looking into the career path for a friend.

Oh I see! Well, that's always good to know!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/acceptance-stats-class-of-2020.1173723/

Just spent some time going through that link and OP, your stats seem like they would be competitive! It may really be worth your time to consider looking into podiatry. It's more than just trimming toenails and would allow you to do surgery (if that's something you're interested in).

Reactions: 3 users
The tx adcom said 3.5 is minimum for grad school and 20 is avg, you need a 21 now.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/acceptance-stats-class-of-2020.1173723/

Just spent some time going through that link and OP, your stats seem like they would be competitive! It may really be worth your time to consider looking into podiatry. It's more than just trimming toenails and would allow you to do surgery (if that's something you're interested in).

makes me wonder how they convince the adcom that they are passionate about feet! Not to look down on podiatry or anything, but wouldn't most people prefer to get into med school over podiatry? I would think people who chose podiatry over medicine would be the ones with lower GPA/MCAT scores who made realistic choices.

makes me wonder how they convince the adcom that they are passionate about feet! Not to look down on podiatry or anything, but wouldn't most people prefer to get into med school over podiatry? I would think people who chose podiatry over medicine would be the ones with lower GPA/MCAT scores who made realistic choices.
We convince ad coms we are passionate about teeth.

Reactions: 8 users
Most parts of the body are gross if you really think about it. I know almost nothing about podiatry, but I'm assuming that, compared to medicine, there is not as much schooling, not much "on-call", and better hours, kind of like dentistry.

Sadly they don't get in :/ ...had a friend in a similar boat

Most parts of the body are gross if you really think about it. I know almost nothing about podiatry, but I'm assuming that, compared to medicine, there is not as much schooling, not much "on-call", and better hours, kind of like dentistry.
It's still 4 years of school and a 3 year mandatory residency. Weirdly enough, most podiatry schools accept the DAT.

Undergrad gpa 3.3 sgpa 3.1
Grad gpa 3.7

I still didn't get an acceptance.

It's still 4 years of school and a 3 year mandatory residency. Weirdly enough, most podiatry schools accept the DAT.

I think only one Podiatry school accepts the DAT now (Temple). Others don't. But yeah still pretty weird that the DAT made it's way to that side of the world.

Try podiatry or pharmacy, students with your gpa get accepted to those quite often.
You can also try and apply to DO medical schools since they do grade replacement, so retake the classes you did poorly in and get A's.
There's also the Carribeans for MD medical schools.
Theres physical therapy and occupational therapy, nursing too, you still have many options!

AA 22 TS 23 but RC was 19. I got one interview in early September

How many schools did you apply to?
Even with a strong DAT score and 3.7 masters GPA, I would still apply to 20 schools to be safe because of the undergrad GPA.

How many schools did you apply to?
Even with a strong DAT score and 3.7 masters GPA, I would still apply to 20 schools to be safe because of the undergrad GPA.

I applied to 7 schools in July and then added 5 more schools in September..if i don't get in this cycle, I'll apply to at least 20 schools. Thanks for your advice!

I applied to 7 schools in July and then added 5 more schools in September..if i don't get in this cycle, I'll apply to at least 20 schools. Thanks for your advice!

and do not retake that DAT, its not "only" a 19, a 19 RC is 100% fine.
The issue this year was the limited number of schools you applied to.

and do not retake that DAT, its not "only" a 19, a 19 RC is 100% fine.
The issue this year was the limited number of schools you applied to.
You think so? I thought it was partially because of my RC score. Which school would you apply to if you were in my situation?

Try podiatry or pharmacy, students with your gpa get accepted to those quite often.
You can also try and apply to DO medical schools since they do grade replacement, so retake the classes you did poorly in and get A's.
There's also the Carribeans for MD medical schools.
Theres physical therapy and occupational therapy, nursing too, you still have many options!

a current dental student (in the best interest of the advice) should not advise students to go into pharmacy (in this current situation)
and worse, should not advise students to go into Carribean med school (where only 20% of students match and the rest, idk, chill with their debt)?

a current dental student (in the best interest of the advice) should not advise students to go into pharmacy (in this current situation)
and worse, should not advise students to go into Carribean med school (where only 20% of students match and the rest, idk, chill with their debt)?

well, I don't know anything about the "situation" of pharmacy or how bad the Carribeans are, I'm just giving him some things to consider, but if these are really that bad then nvm.
You should also look into optometry school, pdental972.

You think so? I thought it was partially because of my RC score. Which school would you apply to if you were in my situation?

Your RC score is fine and it would be a HUGE mistake if you retook that 22 AA 23 TS DAT score.
Apply to all of your state schools, NYU, Nova, Tufts, etc along with some decently out of state friendly state schools like Pittsburgh, Michigan, Maryland, Louisville.

Last edited: