Master Degree prior to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsaldana10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I started working on my med school applications and while working on them I started to doubt whether or not I was able to get into a good school (I'm from Chicago and I'm planning to apply to UIC, Rush and NW), I am starting to get frustrated and I haven't even taken my MCAT.
So I want to share my story and my future plans with you guys; any suggestion/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

First, allow me to begin with what I have accomplished until now.

I took most of my pre-med classes at a community college few months after coming to the US. (My story is a bit strange and unique; I was born in Chicago, but at the age of 1, my family moved to Peru where I grew up and finished high school so English is not my native language). In 2009, I moved back to the US (all by myself) I had to attend a community college because a university level class would have probably destroyed my GPA, and also, I couldnt afford a 4year institution back then. Fortunately, I did pretty well at the c. college and transfered to UIC with a 3.82 gpa (getting only a B in bio2, and a C on calculus 3 out of 80 credits). At UIC, I took many science classes ( as I am majoring in Biochem) including genetics, cell bio, calculus based physics, and analytical chem. Here at UIC my gpa is of 4.0( with 30 credits). I have 2 and a summer semester to go and thus are planning to study for the mcat and take it in August. (Yes I know, it's a bit late).

As I mentioned earlier, English is not my first language and thus I decided to postpone my mcat (initally from Jun 20th) to early August because I wasn't scoring high on the verbal reasoning section. (I don't know what is it about me but I never liked those! Not even in Spanish). So that's one thing. Secondly, although I have over 60 hours of volunteering experience( at NW hospital), over 400 hours of research experience, and over 500 hours of tutoring exp, I don't have clinical shadowing experience, which makes me think that this will negatively affect my application.

Regarding reference letters, I will have 3 instructors from UIC (2 bio and 1 physics) and also my research supervisor (who happened to be the instructor of the biochemistry class at UIC college of medicine and a very important guy in the cancer research field) write me recommendation letters. They keep telling how gifted, smart and passioned I am about science and medicine and about learning, that it sometimes makes me blush, but I don't think those kind words will mean anything if the med school admission committees decide to reject me.

I always had this dream of becoming a neurologist. At the age of 14, I became very passionate with prions proteins. So much that by now I have read about 4 books on prion diseases, and know more about the molecular mechanism, the diagnosis and medical aspects of the disease than the average undergrad student. I am in love with the human brain and I want to learn how to heal it. All these emotions and dreams of becoming a doctor that once shinned like the mighty phoenix are staring to extinguish as I face reality.

I can't seem to score above 6 or 7 on VR (I am scoring ~10-12 on the other 2), and I believe that will be the doom of my application. I understand that I need to be confident and trust myself but it is also true that everyone needs a plan B. So here is my plan B if I don't get accepted into any med school for the 2014 year.

I decided that if I dont get accepted, I will get a masters degree in anatomy and cell biology. I really dont mind getting a master degree, I love the idea of learning more and it excites me to think about it. I believe there are some pros and cons about this:

PROS:
I will have extra time to improve my VR skills.
I will also sharpen my biological and physical science skills.
Having a master sounds cool :) (jk)
It will give me time to do clinical shadowing.
CONS:
I will be 23 by then (is this really a problem?)
I will be in so much debt by then, even before getting into med school ( ALERT: BIGGEST CONCERN) I dont want to finish my masters and then get to med school and not get any loans cause I already took them while attending graduate school.

If i don't get accepted and decide to just work on my next mcat and thus next application. I will have to start paying my student loans.

so yeah, this is my plan B, now I want to hear from you guys; any comment will be appreciated. What do you guys think? I am being such a scary cat? I am being too pessimistic? or is it a good idea to think ahead? would a M.S be the solution? Thanks for taking your time and reading this I hope you all have a great day.

Gian.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In your case, getting a masters isn't a good idea; you have decent grades and you have to pay for your MS out of pocket. If you can get a paid research assistant position, then that's different. I say go get a research tech job instead, pay off your loans and rock your MCAT.

In your case, getting a masters isn't a good idea; you have decent grades and you have to pay for your MS out of pocket. If you can get a paid research assistant position, then that's different. I say go get a research tech job instead, pay off your loans and rock your MCAT.

Yea I think a masters degree is just an expense you don't need to make and I hear it wont help you be more competitive. Some people do one to improve their GPS but you don't need that.

I would take a year off and do research. Also you need more than 60 hours clinical volunteer experience and at least some shadowing and you'll have the time to do this in your gap year.

As for the mcat if you are able to manage at least an 8 in verbal you should be fine.

But I would cancel your mcat now and take in spring of next year. Because not only a 7 in vr would make your acceptance unlikely but your way less than average clinical experience.

A lot if people don't go to Med school right after college and it will not put you in a bad position at all!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replaying. So basically it doesn't matter if:
1. I take the MCAT late and
2. took most of my pre-med classes at a community college?

Also I wouldn't be able to take the MCAT next spring as I am taking really difficult classes this fall and next spring.

Thanks for replaying. So basically it doesn't matter if:
1. I take the MCAT late and
2. took most of my pre-med classes at a community college?

I'm not 100 percent sure what adcoms think of community colleges but definately take your mcat at a time where you will get your s scores back bevfore June of the summer you hope to apply. So take them before this summer is over if you have to. Applying late is one of the biggest and stupidest mistakes!!!!

Yes I know, but i just dont understand how people can encourage student take the MCAT by May, when we just got out of an exhausting semester and had little to no time to prepare for the MCAT. Same thing will happen next year, I will probably wont have time to prepare for the new MCAT cause I will be taking physical chemistry and biochemistry combined with labs and another chemistry class... if that is the whole point of the MCAT then I guess i will have to deal with it.

Also, I am sending my application w/o my mcat score in 2 weeks. would that make a difference?