Masters Decision for Dental School

Started by linx80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

linx80

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I had a very quick question on some masters programs I'm deciding between for the upcoming fall. I plan to apply to dental school June 2017.

The choices are 1) University of Maryland: Baltimore County Masters in Biotech, and 2) Johns Hopkins Masters in Biotech

I wanted to confirm with someone if it really makes too much of a difference that I went to Hopkins over UMBC. I'm only doing masters in the first place because my science GPA was below a 3.0. Does it matter which masters I go to considering what really matters is how well I do in the program or would Hopkins look better because its "Hopkins" and more well known.

BOTH Programs have the same courses and are two years. Hopkins is just more expensive
 
Last edited:
Hopkins has a great reputation, but you should figure out where you'll be most happy and go there as reputation doesn't matter that much. You'll excel wherever youre happiest
 
Hi, I had a very quick question on some masters programs I'm deciding between for the upcoming fall. I plan to apply to dental school June 2017.

The choices are 1) University of Maryland: Baltimore County Masters in Biotech, and 2) Johns Hopkins Masters in Biotech

I wanted to confirm with someone if it really makes too much of a difference that I went to Hopkins over UMBC. I'm only doing masters in the first place because my science GPA was below a 3.0. Does it matter which masters I go to considering what really matters is how well I do in the program or would Hopkins look better because its "Hopkins" and more well known.
Prestige really doesn't matter for dental. Maybe more so for med, but not dental. Dental admissions committees just want to see you're in a masters program and taking courses similar to those you'd take in the first year of dental school.

Are both one year? Two year? What courses make up their curriculum? What's the difference in total cost to attend each? In which state are you a resident? These are the biggest factors that should go into your decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Choose the most science-intensive one and the one where you think you'll get the highest GPA.
Dental schools don't care about prestige. You'll quickly figure this out browsing more through sdn. Many people are getting interviews/acceptances just by doing well on traditional masters. A fancy popular SMP style expensive masters is good for your peace of mind, but isn't really needed.
 
Prestige really doesn't matter for dental. Maybe more so for med, but not dental. Dental admissions committees just want to see you're in a masters program and taking courses similar to those you'd take in the first year of dental school.

Are both one year? Two year? What courses make up their curriculum? What's the difference in total cost to attend each? In which state are you a resident? These are the biggest factors that should go into your decision.

Well the programs are exactly the same in courses and both are two years. Hopkins is just more expensive
 
Choose the most science-intensive one and the one where you think you'll get the highest GPA.
Dental schools don't care about prestige. You'll quickly figure this out browsing more through sdn. Many people are getting interviews/acceptances just by doing well on traditional masters. A fancy popular SMP style expensive masters is good for your peace of mind, but isn't really needed.

Well the programs are exactly the same in courses and both are two years. Hopkins is just more expensive
 
Hi guys, I'm looking to earn my master's degree this fall. I have a few options I'll list in a non-ranked order.

Mercer University - MS Preclinical Sciences (1 year)
University San Francisco - Professional Science Master's in Biotech (2 year)
Nova Southeastern University - MS Marine Bio (2 year)
Florida State University - course-based MS in Biology (2 year)

and I was waitlisted at KCUMB MS Biomed 1 year program.

I'm really having trouble deciding on a program to attend. The first two I listed seem like the best options to me. I don't know if it's better to attend the one-year program or two-year? If I enroll in the one-year program, do I apply this cycle even though they will only know that I am enrolled and will not have any results as far as graduate level grades until academic update come December?

I have applied before, did not receive interviews, and I was told by some adcoms that any master's program in the sciences would strengthen my application. I have read older posts on the one vs. two-year programs and when to apply but they were around 5 years old, and I wanted some newer opinions. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance!
 
Ok Hopkins is an online program (yes the school is prestigious but the biotech program is not, it's completely online. It is not meant for pre med/dent)Please don't do an online program for dental or medical acceptance.
 
Hi guys, I'm looking to earn my master's degree this fall. I have a few options I'll list in a non-ranked order.

Mercer University - MS Preclinical Sciences (1 year)
University San Francisco - Professional Science Master's in Biotech (2 year)
Nova Southeastern University - MS Marine Bio (2 year)
Florida State University - course-based MS in Biology (2 year)

and I was waitlisted at KCUMB MS Biomed 1 year program.

I'm really having trouble deciding on a program to attend. The first two I listed seem like the best options to me. I don't know if it's better to attend the one-year program or two-year? If I enroll in the one-year program, do I apply this cycle even though they will only know that I am enrolled and will not have any results as far as graduate level grades until academic update come December?

I have applied before, did not receive interviews, and I was told by some adcoms that any master's program in the sciences would strengthen my application. I have read older posts on the one vs. two-year programs and when to apply but they were around 5 years old, and I wanted some newer opinions. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance!

Moved to new thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/need-input-on-my-masters-options.1207686/