Masters degree for an FMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent FMG, I intend to use my internship year in my country to finish my USMLEs unfortunately (or fortunately the way I see it) I won't be able to make it in time for the 2011 match and I will have at least 12 months that I can use however I like.

So, here is the scoop: I want to either go for a masters degree (preferably) or for a research fellowship. My primary clinical interest is Neurology and I was thinking about doing masters in neuroscience.

Now, I have a genuine interest in research and this is why the masters thing is not for the mere purpose of "CV building". . . I have always respected researchers and read about the method of science with great interest . . . I would like to try that before committing to a clinical career and after finishing my residency I wish to pursue my research interests alongside my clinical career.

Any insights? Posts on this site have always helped me make important decisions . . . . I am not an expert in this field and 'academic advisors' aren't exactly my university's best merit; am I missing anything here?

P.S. I know I have to do a GRE so please focus on other stuff

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a recent FMG, I intend to use my internship year in my country to finish my USMLEs unfortunately (or fortunately the way I see it) I won't be able to make it in time for the 2011 match and I will have at least 12 months that I can use however I like.

So, here is the scoop: I want to either go for a masters degree (preferably) or for a research fellowship. My primary clinical interest is Neurology and I was thinking about doing masters in neuroscience.

Now, I have a genuine interest in research and this is why the masters thing is not for the mere purpose of "CV building". . . I have always respected researchers and read about the method of science with great interest . . . I would like to try that before committing to a clinical career and after finishing my residency I wish to pursue my research interests alongside my clinical career.

Any insights? Posts on this site have always helped me make important decisions . . . . I am not an expert in this field and 'academic advisors' aren't exactly my university's best merit; am I missing anything here?

P.S. I know I have to do a GRE so please focus on other stuff[/QUO

Masters degrees usually require you to pay tuition and course work lasts for about a year. If you only have one year to spare, then I would recommend doing the research job instead.

Agreed. I doubt you will find a 1 year research masters program. A reputable program will not exist, and most of your time will be coursework. If you want to do research, just do research. If you want the highest chance of a publication (which will be unlikely in 1 year), you need to make your experiences, goals, and timeline clear as you are applying. The more clinical the lab the more comfortable you will feel. If you have never done basic science, you will spend most of your year just fiddling around without accomplishing much.

Members don't see this ad :)
point taken . . . do you know any neuroscience masters program that is directed towards M.D's ? I would like to take a look at the amount and type of coursework !

point taken . . . do you know any neuroscience masters program that is directed towards M.D's ? I would like to take a look at the amount and type of coursework !

I guess I'll have to look that up myself . . . thanks :)