Masters Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cats4Lyfe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been rejected from vet school multiple times primarily because of my GPA. I have been encouraged to pursue a masters degree. I have applied to multiple masters programs at different schools without success. My biggest problem is that my GPA is below a 3.0. Many schools have a cutoff at 3.0 and will not admit me. I have done post-bacc classes, but it would take quite a few courses to bring my GPA above a 3.0. One school I have applied to accepts students below a 3.0 on provisional status if they find a professor willing to take them. I have emailed every professor in the department and most have rejected me.

For those who did a masters degree to raise their GPA, how did you find a program willing to admit you that was also considered rigorous enough for vet school admissions committees? I have been discouraged from doing an online masters as many admissions committees do not consider them rigorous enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been rejected from vet school multiple times primarily because of my GPA. I have been encouraged to pursue a masters degree. I have applied to multiple masters programs at different schools without success. My biggest problem is that my GPA is below a 3.0. Many schools have a cutoff at 3.0 and will not admit me. I have done post-bacc classes, but it would take quite a few courses to bring my GPA above a 3.0. One school I have applied to accepts students below a 3.0 on provisional status if they find a professor willing to take them. I have emailed every professor in the department and most have rejected me.

For those who did a masters degree to raise their GPA, how did you find a program willing to admit you that was also considered rigorous enough for vet school admissions committees? I have been discouraged from doing an online masters as many admissions committees do not consider them rigorous enough.
I am finishing a MPH at the University of Missouri online right now. It had an emphasis in Veterinary Public Health. Many of the courses are taught by Veterinarians and several classes are courses in their DVM program. As far as the GPA goes, you can get accepted into a graduate certificate program and if you maintain a B average, you can get accepted to the MPH program.I completed the graduate certificate in Epidemiology. They also have a MS a in biomedical sciences that includes courses in the vet med program. I think it’s a 9 month program too. I took a few courses that would also count for the MS program in the MPH program. If I don’t get into vet school this fall, I plan on getting an MPA and a MS from Mizzou. I’ve really enjoyed the program I am in. It has been relatively inexpensive too. I decided on the MPH because the courses count towards your science GPA, and I really needed to raise mine. If you want to private message me, I’m happy to help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you looking specifically for the Master's programs for pre-health students, like the one-year style? Or are you looking into traditional research-based Master's programs? context - I have a Master's, but I didn't pursue it for vet school; I was working in wildlife biology at the time. I did a 2-year program that turned into 3 years of research; so I might not be the best person to chat about the one-year programs. But, might be able to provide some insight on the traditional ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you looking specifically for the Master's programs for pre-health students, like the one-year style? Or are you looking into traditional research-based Master's programs? context - I have a Master's, but I didn't pursue it for vet school; I was working in wildlife biology at the time. I did a 2-year program that turned into 3 years of research; so I might not be the best person to chat about the one-year programs. But, might be able to provide some insight on the traditional ones.
I was aiming for a traditional 2 year research based masters

I am finishing a MPH at the University of Missouri online right now. It had an emphasis in Veterinary Public Health. Many of the courses are taught by Veterinarians and several classes are courses in their DVM program. As far as the GPA goes, you can get accepted into a graduate certificate program and if you maintain a B average, you can get accepted to the MPH program.I completed the graduate certificate in Epidemiology. They also have a MS a in biomedical sciences that includes courses in the vet med program. I think it’s a 9 month program too. I took a few courses that would also count for the MS program in the MPH program. If I don’t get into vet school this fall, I plan on getting an MPA and a MS from Mizzou. I’ve really enjoyed the program I am in. It has been relatively inexpensive too. I decided on the MPH because the courses count towards your science GPA, and I really needed to raise mine. If you want to private message me, I’m happy to help you.
Do you know what the cost is for this? If the classes are part of their veterinary curriculum, then I assume it would be considered sufficiently rigorous, despite being online?

Do you know what the cost is for this? If the classes are part of their veterinary curriculum, then I assume it would be considered sufficiently rigorous, despite being online?
How long are the certificate programs? My last 60 hour Gpa is a 2.95, so almost to the 3.0 cutoff they require for the MPH

How long are the certificate programs? My last 60 hour Gpa is a 2.95, so almost to the 3.0 cutoff they require for the MPH
Mine was 6 classes and 18 credit hours. All of these courses applied to the MPH. It will depend how many courses you are able to complete. The MPH program is around 22k!

Mine was 6 classes and 18 credit hours. All of these courses applied to the MPH. It will depend how many courses you are able to complete. The MPH program is around 22k!
Did you do the 18 credits in one semester?

Did you do the 18 credits in one semester?
No, I took some other courses in addition though. I think it would be doable to take 9-12 if you did not work full time and have lots of other things to do.

No, I took some other courses in addition though. I think it would be doable to take 9-12 if you did not work full time and have lots of other things to do.
The more I look into the MPH, the more I think it would be a good fit. I have reached out to the school for more information and I need to run it by my husband. It is similar in cost to the in person masters I was looking at.
Is the tuition the same for the certificate as if you had taken the classes while already in the master's program? How rigorous are the courses? Could I work part time while taking the 9-11 credit hours they suggest? Is the advising department easy to work with? If I added on a course or two that was not included in the program, do you know what the cost would be?

The more I look into the MPH, the more I think it would be a good fit. I have reached out to the school for more information and I need to run it by my husband. It is similar in cost to the in person masters I was looking at.
Is the tuition the same for the certificate as if you had taken the classes while already in the master's program? How rigorous are the courses? Could I work part time while taking the 9-11 credit hours they suggest? Is the advising department easy to work with? If I added on a course or two that was not included in the program, do you know what the cost would be?
I have really enjoyed the program. I’m in my last 3 courses now. I guess to put it in perspective, I work full time, and have two part time jobs. I also travel extensively for work. The program is definitely writing heavy, so this is probably the most time consuming part. The writing does not bother me, so I don’t find it too difficult to set some time aside when I am off to do that. The tuition is the same for the certificate program. If you divide the total cost of the program by the credit hours, that’s what you will pay. They factor any extra classes in. My advisor is amazing, I can’t say enough good things about him. He’s a wealth of knowledge and has been very supportive of my success. He definitely has understood my time constraints with my schedule and was able to send me the syllabus for each course, so I could determine what courses I could take together. I have taken 9 credit hours the past two semesters, and it was a lot. I was still able to maintain an A throughout the semester. The cost for other courses is determined by which department it is in. The classes for the vet school have been more expensive. You are welcome to PM me, and I can give you my contact information! I am always willing to help :)

Have you looked into the 1-year pre-professional masters program at Colorado State University? I did that outside of their vet prep program, however I did have a 3.2 undergraduate GPA when applying, but now I have been accepted into Colorado's DVM program for c/o 2027. Something to look into as I think it really helped make up for my undergraduate GPA. Otherwise if you can maybe retake some of your bachelors classes that you didn't do as well in and then try for a masters? Just some ideas, good luck!

Another MS program you could look into is LMU has a 1 year bridge program (it also can be a 2yr thesis program if you want). You take Vet Anatomy and Parasitology with the first year vet students as well. I started it in August and loved it! I was able to get aquatinted with the CVM Faculty and other vet students, great way to network. If you get a 3.0 or higher, you are guaranteed an interview and if you get a B or higher in the 2 vet courses you take, you do not have to retake the course when you matriculate into the vet school if you choose to go. So that right there are 8 credits you can use to study for the other classes you have while in vet school.

I was aiming for a traditional 2 year research based masters
Hey sorry for the delay; I do see you're looking at the MPH now. But just in case the traditional Master's still crosses your mind -- are you interested in research, like doing research as a vet, and if so what kind? Many professors in traditional non-vet school related graduate programs - at least the one that I attended - were looking for essentially a trainee in their research area, that could in theory be elevated to a PhD project if the student showed interest in that. They're also often looking for synergy, and consistency - they want to see an overlap in research interests, and that you can help grow each others' research ideas. I had pretty poor undergrad grades, but they took me on anyway. It was above a 3.0, but my science GPA was definitely not at the time I applied, and my GRE in theory should have prohibited my entry to the program. It was an ecology degree, so I may have had a little more wiggle-room there. But anyway, if you're reaching out to them, make sure you're emphasizing your interest in their projects and how you feel you can contribute to it; most would want to know that you're committed to seeing the project through. If you are only pursuing grad school to pull up your GPA, while rewarding on its own, a traditional master’s might not be the best or most efficient path, considering in some cases it may take extra time to complete a project. If I were to go back and pursue it for vet school alone, I'd probably do the mph.

Have you looked into the 1-year pre-professional masters program at Colorado State University? I did that outside of their vet prep program, however I did have a 3.2 undergraduate GPA when applying, but now I have been accepted into Colorado's DVM program for c/o 2027. Something to look into as I think it really helped make up for my undergraduate GPA. Otherwise if you can maybe retake some of your bachelors classes that you didn't do as well in and then try for a masters? Just some ideas, good luck!
I believe I looked into this after my undergrad when I didn't get into vet school on my first application cycle. I think this was one of the many masters degrees I applied to at that time. I did not get in. It looked interesting at the time, but I am hesitant to go that direction again as I do not wish to move to Colorado and I worry about being rejected from the program again.

Hey sorry for the delay; I do see you're looking at the MPH now. But just in case the traditional Master's still crosses your mind -- are you interested in research, like doing research as a vet, and if so what kind? Many professors in traditional non-vet school related graduate programs - at least the one that I attended - were looking for essentially a trainee in their research area, that could in theory be elevated to a PhD project if the student showed interest in that. They're also often looking for synergy, and consistency - they want to see an overlap in research interests, and that you can help grow each others' research ideas. I had pretty poor undergrad grades, but they took me on anyway. It was above a 3.0, but my science GPA was definitely not at the time I applied, and my GRE in theory should have prohibited my entry to the program. It was an ecology degree, so I may have had a little more wiggle-room there. But anyway, if you're reaching out to them, make sure you're emphasizing your interest in their projects and how you feel you can contribute to it; most would want to know that you're committed to seeing the project through. If you are only pursuing grad school to pull up your GPA, while rewarding on its own, a traditional master’s might not be the best or most efficient path, considering in some cases it may take extra time to complete a project. If I were to go back and pursue it for vet school alone, I'd probably do the mph.
I have tried to emphasize research to each of the professors. I did a little bit of nutrition related research in my undergrad and my husband is currently in a PhD, so I am familiar with the way professors think. I am interested in reproduction and I reached out to several professors who study what I am interested in. They were both initially interested until they found out my gpa. I would love to dabble in research in the future. There are a lot of areas where canine and equine reproduction could catch up to bovine reproduction. I emphasized this interest in my application essays and in my meetings/emails with professors. I also expressed interest in the specific project that one of the professors is about to start. It is a topic that is very interesting to me and I would love to work with him.
Grad school is a nice way to pull up my gpa, but I also enjoy the research and learning aspect. If I do not get into vet school, I am hoping it opens a few more doors for future job opportunities.

I have tried to emphasize research to each of the professors. I did a little bit of nutrition related research in my undergrad and my husband is currently in a PhD, so I am familiar with the way professors think. I am interested in reproduction and I reached out to several professors who study what I am interested in. They were both initially interested until they found out my gpa. I would love to dabble in research in the future. There are a lot of areas where canine and equine reproduction could catch up to bovine reproduction. I emphasized this interest in my application essays and in my meetings/emails with professors. I also expressed interest in the specific project that one of the professors is about to start. It is a topic that is very interesting to me and I would love to work with him.
Grad school is a nice way to pull up my gpa, but I also enjoy the research and learning aspect. If I do not get into vet school, I am hoping it opens a few more doors for future job opportunities.
Ah. I'm sorry that the gpa has been the deal-breaker for them, that's frustrating. I do hope you find a good fit.

I have really enjoyed the program. I’m in my last 3 courses now. I guess to put it in perspective, I work full time, and have two part time jobs. I also travel extensively for work. The program is definitely writing heavy, so this is probably the most time consuming part. The writing does not bother me, so I don’t find it too difficult to set some time aside when I am off to do that. The tuition is the same for the certificate program. If you divide the total cost of the program by the credit hours, that’s what you will pay. They factor any extra classes in. My advisor is amazing, I can’t say enough good things about him. He’s a wealth of knowledge and has been very supportive of my success. He definitely has understood my time constraints with my schedule and was able to send me the syllabus for each course, so I could determine what courses I could take together. I have taken 9 credit hours the past two semesters, and it was a lot. I was still able to maintain an A throughout the semester. The cost for other courses is determined by which department it is in. The classes for the vet school have been more expensive. You are welcome to PM me, and I can give you my contact information! I am always willing to help :)
I just finished my first semester of the MPH program at Mizzou. Thank you so much for recommending it!I have enjoyed it so far and it was exactly what I was looking for!

I just finished my first semester of the MPH program at Mizzou. Thank you so much for recommending it!I have enjoyed it so far and it was exactly what I was looking for!
This is great! I am so glad you like it, and I’m excited for you! I do think it strengthened my application so much, and I am sure it will yours! If you ever have any questions, please reach out to me! I am glad to help! Proud of you for taking the leap and starting your MPH!

Glad to read you've found somewhere for you! The Master of Veterinary Science program at University of Illinois uses holistic admissions, so while the "minimum requirement" is 3.0, they will definitely talk with you and do a holistic review to determine if the program would be a good fit.

Glad to read you've found somewhere for you! The Master of Veterinary Science program at University of Illinois uses holistic admissions, so while the "minimum requirement" is 3.0, they will definitely talk with you and do a holistic review to determine if the program would be a good fit.
I can personally confirm this. I had a rough first year of undergrad and horrible final semester (studied abroad spring 2020, I'll let your imagination do the rest) and everyone was such a joy to work with when I explained what happened. Unless the policy has changed, you need a 3.0 or greater the first semester and that wasn't a challenge for me at all.

I honestly can't speak highly enough of this program, especially since they let us off the leash a bit for our Capstone. I'm hoping to look at communication around blastomycosis both on the preventive/precautionary side and at the post-diagnosis side.

• Care