Masters in biology or start a second degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HARLEMPREMED

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I finished all my requirements for my undergraduate degree in BIOLOGY and I'm ready to apply for graduation. I currently have a 3.32 cGPA and sGPA. I also have a strong upward trend in grades. I haven't taken my MCAT yet.
I don't know if it would be more beneficial to (1) continue on taking science classes with this degree (2) just graduate and start a second degree and take more science classes and have a strong 2nd degree gpa OR (3) if it would be more competitive to do my masters in biology to show that I can handle upper level courses.
 
A Master's degree does not change your chances at an MD application.

I'm curious…what gap year activities would change an otherwise decent applicant's chances at MD (assume all, including research, grades, clinical are good - no big weakness really) For example, would a Fulbright vs. masters increase chances? Or maybe something less competitive - like a certain type of work experience, etc.?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious…what gap year activities would change an otherwise decent applicant's chances at MD (assume all, including research, grades, clinical are good - no big weakness really) For example, would a Fulbright vs. masters increase chances? Or maybe something less competitive - like a certain type of work experience, etc.?
The activity the deepens or extends the breadth of the application.
 
The activity the deepens or extends the breadth of the application.

So if an app was focused on a passion to serve rural communities, pursue international medicine, and eliminate healthcare disparities, would an MPH in Global Health help increase chances in that case?
 
Your GPA as of right now is too low for MD schools, but fine for DO programs.

If you're boning for the MD degree, then acing a SMP or post-bac program is in order, along with acing MCAT. There are MD schools that believe in reinvention. ECs rarely make up for a substandard GPA. Showing that you can handle a med school curriculum does.

So I finished all my requirements for my undergraduate degree in BIOLOGY and I'm ready to apply for graduation. I currently have a 3.32 cGPA and sGPA. I also have a strong upward trend in grades. I haven't taken my MCAT yet.
I don't know if it would be more beneficial to (1) continue on taking science classes with this degree (2) just graduate and start a second degree and take more science classes and have a strong 2nd degree gpa OR (3) if it would be more competitive to do my masters in biology to show that I can handle upper level courses.