Masters in Biomedical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyToleDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been looking into some of the many masters of Biomedical Science programs offered at some DO schools recently (primarily PCOM, CCOM (Glendale), and Nova) as a way to facilitate my admittance into a DO program and was wondering if anybody has some inside information on these programs. I know that many of these schools will guarantee an interview at their DO school if you meet the requirements, however I am not certain as to how much DO schools value the successful completion of these masters programs? Are there significant ties between the masters programs and the DO schools? I have read that most of the schools have a pretty high acceptance rate into DO schools for student who complete the degree.
As always, thank you SDN members for your continued thoughtful responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Nova MBS prgram guaranteeds admission if you score above 80% in all your tests during the 1st yr of the program.

TCOM has a similar program. but its not a guarantee...im in the program now

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova MBS prgram guaranteeds admission if you score above 80% in all your tests during the 1st yr of the program.

Do you know how many have gotten in from the MS program? I just figured scoring 80% on every single test is a really difficult feat, especially if they test 3-4 times per class...

Do you know how many have gotten in from the MS program? I just figured scoring 80% on every single test is a really difficult feat, especially if they test 3-4 times per class...

Well to get into the program it is pretty competitive since only around 25 ppl are accepted (18 premed and 5-7 pre-dent) and usually around 15 ppl make it to the med school, I dont know the stats for the dental school. Those that don't make it continue on to complete the 2nd yr of the prgrm.

Thank you all for responding.

Texasgal, would you mind sharing a little bit about your experiences so far? Are the courses integrated with students in the DO program, or are they entirely students in the masters program? What were some of the general admissions requirements for TCOM's program. Thanks again!

dofl's stats are pretty spot on from all the people I've talked to. They accept about 15-25 students into their program and 80% and above is an unofficial guaranteed acceptance. You get to transfer credit if it's 90% and higher so you don't need to retake the class in your respective program but you will work as a paid TA. You take the same classes as the DO students.

PCOM MBS is a 2 year program though you can just do one year for a certificate instead. 1st year consists of lecture/coursework and the second year involves your thesis/research. Guaranteed interview is given to a certain %age of the class though in GA I've heard almost everyone got interviewed. Interview is scheduled pretty late so many students run with other acceptances at other schools instead but the numbers from last year that I've heard are 14-18 students got back into PCOM from the certificate and 2nd year masters program for last cycle. Not sure how many got in elsewhere. You take DO equivalent classes, same teachers, same material (abridged), and same tests, etc.

CCOM is not glendale. You're talking about AZCOM which offers an MA and an MBS with the MA program being 1 year and the MBS being 2 years. CCOM is in Downers Grove and only offers the MBS track which has about 27 students I think of the 15 who applied to medical school, all 15 got in somewhere. AZCOM's MA program is much like PCOM's first year where you take just coursework/lectures without the research. The MBS at AZCOM will accept around 25 students and they stay on for a second year doing thesis/research. For the MA program, 4 people got in outright and I think 10-14 others filtered in through the waiting list. Class size is around 70ish. Same deal with the teaching for PCOM with the faculty but not with the actual medical students.

KCOM has an MBS program that is an unofficial guaranteed acceptance. Accepts only 10-12 people with 10 being in the biomedical track and 2 in the anatomy track. 80% or above and you can transfer credit over if you get into the osteopathic program. Informally known as the year long interview, you apply the summer after your first year and you will most likely get your response in September. You take classes with the DO students.

Getting a bit tired of typing haha so I'll list some others and if any are interested they can PM me about more details.

Touro NY: MBS
Touro NV: MHS
TCOM: GSBS
LECOM: Certificate (1 year)/M.S. (2 year) (same as PCOM, different linkage)
KCUMB: MBS
LMU-DCOM: Post-bacc (1 year, weird glide year may be required for linkage)
Western COMP: M.S? (forgot what degree they bestow but it's a Masters with certain spots reserved for linkage)

ditto to the above on ccom
we had 29 students, 15 got in between 1st and 2nd yr.
we also placed 2 in dental, 3 in pharm, 1 in a phd and 1 in pa.
remainder are working or taking mcat again to apply this summer.

next fall the illinois campus will be starting a 1 yr program of its own so keep that in mind.

i will say this much, there is no way i would be going to med school if it was not for this program