Masters in BME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sk8te

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will a masters in biomedical engineering increase an applicants chances of getting into medical school? or is it better to stick to a post-bach and do really well?

Members don't see this ad.

Will a masters in biomedical engineering increase an applicants chances of getting into medical school? or is it better to stick to a post-bach and do really well?

I have typically been under the impression that it is based more heavily on the numbers (GPA in graduate studies) than the actual degree earned, although I have read that adcoms do take into account the difficulty of the degree earned. So in my interpretation a 3.5 GPA in BME would be weighted similar to a 4.0 in a Post-Bacc Also, I'm sure you know that what will have even greater weight is your MCAT score.

I debated this as well and ultimately went with an MS in BME. What I will say is that while a BME program is likely more rigorous in terms of content, you'll find that most of your classmates are looking to pass quals, not looking for a 4.0. (And I went to an IV). Something to think about vs SMPs... where everyone is gunning to go to med school. So if you're really interested in engineering, I say spend your money on a real degree and a program with fewer cut throat attitudes. Pick a BME program with good med school connections (e.g. look into number of profs who hold joint posts). Definitely a great way to network.

Just my opinion as a lover of eng.