Masters in counseling to Doctorate in psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennyAG01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking classes in an associate program for psychology. I am thinking about switching to a different school, but they only offer a masters program in counseling. If I would decide to do that, would I than be able to get a doctorate degree in psychology or would it be a doctorate in counseling? Another question is would I be able to transfer those credits to another school? The school I am thinking about switching to is a biblical college. I don't know if that would change anything or not. I do not know very much about this and that is why I am asking for help from other people. I do not want to get in a program where I am not going to be able to get what I want. I hope that someone will be able to answer my questions for me.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Having a master's degree in counseling would not lock you out of future doctoral work in psychology, but it's not the easiest path you could take, either. Your choice of degree should really depend on what you want to do with your career. If you want to be a professional counselor, get a professional counseling degree. If not, don't.

Here are some questions for you:

(1) What kind of career do you want? How do you want to spend your time?
(2) What kind of undergraduate coursework have you taken?
(3) For what reasons are you specifically considering a doctoral degree in psychology?