Masters in Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjoneskufi

Reaction score
I'm planning to begin a Masters in Physiology in January and it should take two years to complete. From what I've gathered, there is a thesis component and, possibly, some undergraduate teaching. During my graduate study, what types of volunteering should I seek out (keeping in mind, I have a good deal of non-clinical volunteering)? Additionally, I'm taking the MCAT again and wonder, what is a good goal score (received 500 first sitting)?

I'm basically asking- what should I do in the next two years to have a "superstar" application when I reapply in 2020?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to begin a Masters in Physiology in January and it should take two years to complete. From what I've gathered, there is a thesis component and, possibly, some undergraduate teaching. During my graduate study, what types of volunteering should I seek out (keeping in mind, I have a good deal of non-clinical volunteering)? Additionally, I'm taking the MCAT again and wonder, what is a good goal score (received 500 first sitting)?

I'm basically asking- what should I do in the next two years to have a "superstar" application when I reapply in 2020?

Thanks for your help!

Which one?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for your help!
To strenghten your app you should obtain a strong undergrad GPA both cum/sci and score 510 MCAT for MD and 505 for DO. You should also build a solid EC foundation of climical experience, volunteer work and shadowing.
That masters sounds like a lot of debt and a waste of two years. You will finish thst masters and still have the same undergrad gpa and 500 Mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
To strenghten your app you should obtain a strong undergrad GPA both cum/sci and score 510 MCAT for MD and 505 for DO. You should also build a solid EC foundation of climical experience, volunteer work and shadowing.
That masters sounds like a lot of debt and a waste of two years. You will finish thst masters and still have the same undergrad gpa and 500 Mcat.

I know this is the conventional wisdom of SDN but an Adcom member recommended this program therefore it's not a waste. I guess I'll just go elsewhere for advice.

It's not associated with a med school and, for anonymity sake, I'd rather not disclose.

1. Do Non-Clinical Volunteering if that is your weak point. Do a soup kitchen, teach some underprivileged children, etc.
2. You ideally want a minimum of 510 on the MCAT because that is the average for MD matriculants. If your goal is DO school then you can probably get away with a 507.
3. Clinical volunteering would best come from something like general volunteeering at a hospital. Pretty much any hospital should let you come in and help in some capacity.

I Did an SMP, got 8 interviews and 3 acceptances so...

I Did an SMP, got 8 interviews and 3 acceptances so...
Was your SMP linked? Its also difficult to compare your stats with others.
You are off on the MCAT. Medium DO MCAT is 503 so a 507 is not gunna slide by for DO its a strong MCAT for DO.
Congrats on the acceptance.

Was your SMP linked? Its also difficult to compare your stats with others.
You are off on the MCAT. Medium DO MCAT is 503 so a 507 is not gunna slide by for DO its a strong MCAT for DO.
Congrats on the acceptance.

Was my SMP linked to a school? Yeah it was. I got interviewed there but not accepted. I also probably had higher stats than most for an SMP tbh. Regardless, I would recommend an SMP to anyone who want a way into med school but feels completely screwed because of their undergrad track record. Also, thanks!

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any other advice for new grad students(i e. studying, teaching, MCAT prep, volunteering, etc)?